3rd Trimester

In pain :(

I'm 37 weeks this Saturday. 2 weeks ago I was having some serious cramps in my back and belly area. Felt like I was having a really bad period. I had a drs appt and asked my nurse if they were braxton hicks, she had no clue. My dr has been out of the country this whole month and doesn't return until next week. So their office isn't much help. I've been in quite a bit of pain since then. Definitely feels like she is dropping. Well tonight I had some bad back pain and now my belly hurts. More or so on my left side. Any thoughts? I would call my drs office but that's not going to do anything & I'm not going to the hospital unless it's absolutely necessary. I know aches and pains are normal but I don't know exactly what is all normal since this is my first pregnancy. Any advice ladies?

Re: In pain :(

• You could always call the L&D unit at your hospital and talk to one of the nurses I did this a few times with my first pregnancy. Good luck hope you get some rest!
  • If you don't trust your doctors office you need to find a new one or call your hospital.
  • Loading the player...
  • It sounds really normal to me. Unless you are experience intense constant pain (like you can't function), are bleeding, running a fever, or some other signs that something is wrong, I don't think it's anything out of the ordinary. In the next few weeks your uterus is going to be at max capacity and baby's movements and just normal day-to-day things can trigger pain. The most common is ligament pain (low sides, near ovaries), sharp pains in your cervix from your baby's head, and just a lot of pressure/fullness and tightening of your uterus. You may also get shooting pains in your hips from the baby laying on nerves. Im 38 weeks and, according to my midwife, my baby is "impressively low" lol Lots of cramping, shooting pains, etc. which is just par for the course at this point. It doesn't mean I'm about to deliver, I probably have 2+ weeks left. No way to know when baby will be ready.

Sometimes cramping is caused by dehydration. Keep your fluid intake up and make sure you're getting enough salt in your diet. I take a calcium/magnesium supplement before bed my midwife recommended that seems to help.

You don't seem to like your doctor much. Have you considered switching? It's very important you feel like you're in good hands. It's never too late to switch.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• You could always call the L&D unit at your hospital and talk to one of the nurses I did this a few times with my first pregnancy. Good luck hope you get some rest!
    This!

I've been told to do this too by my OB's office, if I'm in pain or having consistent braxton hicks. Sounds like your best bet if you are unsure. Good luck!
    < Pregnancy Ticker >
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"