Working Moms

Second guessing childcare decisions

How do you stop yourself from second guessing childcare decisions? I just had a meeting with our preschool teacher and she laid a giant guilt trip on me for pulling DD1 for next year to send her to public 4k instead of staying in the private preschool. I know the public school will be more play based and less academic, but public 4k is all day 5 days a week versus just mornings 3 days a week. That helps our childcare situation so much. I wish this stuff wasn't so hard.
IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

Re: Second guessing childcare decisions

• Do you know anyone who attends the public 4K that you can talk to?  I joined a local Facebook mom group in my area specifically so that I can ask about pre-schools/children's activities.

That said, I feel your pain.  We are in the midst of trying to finalize DS's pre-school plans and even after talking to a dozen other moms, I still can't make up my mind.  This stuff IS so hard!

• I would never allow someone that irrelevant to make me second guess anything pertaining to my child. You know your child will be happy and safe and thats all that matters, especially at this age. You are doing what is best for your family...which this teacher knows nothing about. Do not even worry about....do whats best for you...everyone else will have to get used to it.
  • Loading the player...
  • That sounds really unprofessional, on her part.  Trust yourself.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• She has a vested interest in retention ($) and it's likely that the mgmt. at the center has conversations with her about retention rates if he class is the last one before people opt for public transitions.

More that that, focus on the reasons you chose the program that the DC cannot give you.  Schedule, play based curriculum that dovetails with the kinder program and I am sure there are more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Private schools are always going to discourage you from switching to public.  Of course they think their school is the best and they also want your money! 

We have Sully in public K3 and are considering public K4 for next year.  We also used public school for Shannon for K3.  Our decision to switch to a private school is mainly based on sending them to a Catholic school for a religious education.  I honestly haven't seen any difference curriculum-wise in the kindergarten programs in the public schools vs private.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Another important reason to switch is so your kiddo can start becoming part of her community. We are moving DD from her preschool that she loves as a 2 yo to the private school where she will go from age 3 thru HS grad. We want her to start making friends with the kids who will be with her the rest of her school days as soon as we can make that happen. We think that's so important, we will be paying $8000 more in annual tuition just for that benefit.
  • How absolutely unprofessional of her.
    Of course she wants your DD to stay... so you keep PAYING THEM.
    I would totally make sure you're viewing her advice through the correct lens.
    The others have given plenty of reasons to stick with your plan.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"