Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

sudden hatred of bath time

My 22 month old son used to love getting baths, to the point where he'd lay on his belly in the last inch of water while it drained.  All of a sudden, the past couple weeks, he HATES getting a bath.  Shrieks like we're dipping him in lava, clings to me, tries to climb out of the tub.  It's almost like something traumatic happened, but I've asked both sets of parents who watch him overnight, and they both said nothing out of the ordinary ever happened at bath time at their house.  He's never liked getting water on his head or in his eyes when we wash his hair, but this is a whole new level.  

Anyone else experience anything like this out of the blue?

Re: sudden hatred of bath time

• We had this happen with my 20 month old son, pretty much the same situation as you. It was a phase, about 2-3 weeks. Once his dad tried new fun sound effects, he seemed to get back to enjoying himself. It also helped when we were telling him how proud we were of him. 
  • Thanks ladies!  I guess this is a pretty normal phase.  It just really took us by surprise because it happened so out of the blue!
  • Loading the player...
  • We have had a similar experience, but it was after he tried getting in the shower with his big sister. At first it was all smiles and giggles, but it quickly went down hill. For the next week or so bath time was a traumatic, blood curdling scream fest. Thankfully he is back to his normal, happy, wild self in the tub.
    imageimage
  • same EXACT thing here. happened a few days before he turned 21 months, and the first time it happened my parents were watching him cause i was in the hospital having a baby. happened 2-3 more baths with us, and now things are totally back to normal. once we put him in the bath during that brief period he calmed down and ended up being his usual playful self, but he was clutching his dresser and did not want to even go near the bathroom once he knew it was bathtime.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"