Baby Showers

Out of State Showers (Practical tips to reduce schlepping gifts home from across the country?)

I live in FL but I'm originally from Texas. So my family wants to host a Texas shower...I love the idea of inviting my close friends and family there but not sure if some you creative ladies have some Theme ideas to reduce the amount of gifts I actually receive at the party. I think most of the people are wise enough to ship something bulky directly to my home but you never know.

I do not want to appear ungrateful so I'd rather not limit too much, but I'm thinking a kid's Book party? Is that crazy? I'm sure this has probably been addressed already so I apologize in advance (i tried to search it)

Thanks!

My heart is as open as the sky.
Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Out of State Showers (Practical tips to reduce schlepping gifts home from across the country?)

• Honestly, there's no tactful way to broach this without it seeming like you are fishing for cash/ gift cards or just plain telling people what to buy you.

Let the hostess gently remind the guests that it would be extremely helpful to have larger items shipped to your home, but many people will probably bring you small, packable items- clothing, small toys, bibs etc.

Bring along an empty suitcase, and ship the rest yourself back to your home after the shower.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited January 2015
    You can never dictate how others choose to spend their money on you. It's tacky. I agree with pp to being an empty suitcase or you can ship it to yourself.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you don't want to schlep, decline the shower. I live in TX and my family is in MS. If they do a shower, then I know I'll be loading up my car and bringing it all back (I do realize that being a somewhat driveable, 11 hour, distance helps). I'm also not opposed to shipping, parcel post is surprisingly affordable.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, these are great thoughts, I'm thinking it makes the most sense to just enjoy the day and ship what I can't fit.

My heart is as open as the sky.
    Read about it on the blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • C) Accept the shower, graciously accept the gifts that are given to you, quietly return them, get gift cards, and re-buy them in stores closer to you.

I did this recently and think it makes a lot of sense.   Even better, when we received a bulkier item (a boppy) from our Target registry, my mom brought it back to the store with the receipt and Target mailed it to our home on the west coast.
  • If the items are on your registry or you have a gift receipt, I would return them to the store near the shower and rebuy when you get home.  
  • You can never dictate how others choose to spend their money on you. It's tacky. I agree with pp to being an empty suitcase or you can ship it to yourself.

This. You cannot do much other than set aside some $ to ship gifts back home.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I live in TX but grew up in CA, and my family did a shower there for me over Christmas. I actually registered on Amazon (H's family is East coast, mine's West coast, and we don't have the same chain stores) so registry gifts automatically shipped to us. My shower hostess also mentioned to anyone who asked that shipping to us would be most helpful, or that we could use small non-registry items like books and blankies. I did bring a giant empty suitcase for lugging back gifts, and did return some items for gift cards to repurchase back home.

I would caution you that books add up in weight quickly, and could easily put your luggage over the weight limit. A whole book themed shower would still be difficult to pack and travel with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"