November 2014 Moms

Pumping/ oversupply?

I've been exclusively pumping since day 3 or so. When I pump, I pump both breasts. I'm still using a hospital grade pump. I generally get enough milk for two feedings. However I'm pumping every time he eats so now I am able to freeze quite a bit. I tend to skip a pumping session or two since I have more than I need.

I was wondering if anyone has experience switching to a non-hospital grade pump and the effect of that switch on supply? I'm also wondering if it is a bad idea to pump fewer times than he eats. I struggled so much to get my supply up and now I have plenty but I'm afraid if I back off te pumping I will lose it!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Pumping/ oversupply?

• I don't know about switching pumps but my MIL who is a lactation consultant for neonatal until said the basic difference in pumps is just the hospital grade pump is built to last longer. The parts don't break down as quickly. So I don't think performance should be affected otherwise.

You'll want to pump as much milk as your baby drinks to avoid supply issues (it fluctuates for each baby and sometimes daily/weekly so keeping track what baby drinks is probably most effective way.) Every 3 hours is recommended but after the 4th hour is when your body starts signaling to make less milk. Instead of banking up and skipping pumping, pump less per time if you are finding you are making too much and your body will adjust.

I've had this question before myself and tHats the answer I received
  • Thank you, that is very helpful!
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"