Nurseries and Baby Gear

Any CPSTs here??

I'm going to get my certification in March and not sure what else I'll "do" with it after. I know I will help out friends when they need it, maybe host some car seat checks through some mommy groups or our schools, and volunteer through the local Safe Kids place where I'm getting my certification. But that's about all I can think of. I really want to do it because I'm passionate about it. I have some friends interested in going too, but they are curious what else they will "use" it for. Any advice?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance

Re: Any CPSTs here??

• CPST...
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • CPST...
    Doh. Whoops. My surface tries to correct to something different every time.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...

• CPST...

Doh. Whoops. My surface tries to correct to something different every time.

Gotta love auto correct :)
    Married November 2009
    Clara, August 2014 
    Baby Boy due October 2017
  • ASmallWonderASmallWonder member
    edited January 2015
    I'm a tech :) I'm an admin for Car Seats for the Littles so I do a lot of advocacy on our forum.  I teach (for free) a 1 hour section twice a month on car seat safety at the local hospital's child birth prep class.  I teach (again, for free) a class to my sons' daycare as part of their continuing education credits.  I work SafeKids check events and have done one through the children's hospital.  I'm involved with the local police station to help coordinate check events and I also do private checks (mostly referrals from CSFTL or from the hospital class).

The key for liability is document, document, document.  Make sure the provider is the last person to install and touch the seat and the last person to harness the child.  Document anything you told them and anything they opted not to follow your guidance on.  Most CPSTs don't charge for checks because when you charge it increases your liability risk because you're offering a paid service.  Doing it for free usually allows you to be covered under whatever Good Samaritan law your state may have.  You can also buy personal liability insurance if you choose.  I also have my families sign a liability waiver.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I am on the CSFTL page often. I've learned so much!

@asmallwonder for the classes you teach do you develop the class yourself or is there a guide out there to go by for courses? I'd love to be involved in teaching some classes like that through groups or our schools (because I see a lot of wrong daily) but I am not a teacher by nature.

Thanks for the information! I asked this in the CSFTL group recently but it got skipped over I think with how fast the group moves.

• I developed the flow of content myself but really, they change based on audience and even with each of the hospital classes because more or less gets said depending on their questions.  So for example, the childbirth prep classes focus on the basics because it's not a lot of time: Choosing a seat, basics of proper installation, proper harnessing and then general safety like second hand seats, care & cleaning, accidents, etc.  I also do a passionate plea for extended rear facing and urge them to research it over their child's first year of life :)

For the school classes I actually keep it a little more high level but further reaching - we spend more time talking about harness vs booster for the pre-school age group and also about their liability as teachers and babysitters during off school hours.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"