Pregnant after 35
Options

Hematologist

I'm high risk on a variety of different factors, one of which being Factor V Leiden.  I have to be on blood thinners my entire pregnancy and a significantly high dosage.  My OB has decided that I need a birth plan from my Hematologist in writing so that she can plan for contingencies like having blood reserves on hand, and what to do if I have to have a C-section.  The whole thing is starting to get very stressful.  Has anyone else had to deal with this?  I feel like my first delivery wasn't that scary, I was scheduled for an induction, taken off the thinners a few days ahead and DD came pretty uneventfully.  I'm not really certain why this one is so much more interesting.

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

Re: Hematologist

• Options
    I never had a written plan, but did remember discussing with my ob how if I were to do a shot of Lovenox and then go into labor and need a c-section that I would need to be put under vs having a spinal block. 

I was always slightly concerned about bleeding too much because Lovenox is not reversible and my doctor didn't want to switch me over to straight heparin but in the end things worked out and I was never bleeding too much. 

If you are on treatment level doses vs smaller preventative doses I could see why your doctor would want a contingency plan in place.

I think the thing is, is that every labor and delivery is so different and although you can plan for an induction, what if you go into labor prior?  I've had that happen twice.  It sounds as though your doctor is just trying to cover all the bases.

I haven't spoken to my hematologist yet about plans for delivery but probably will at my next visit.  I already know that my OB wants to do an induction, in part so that I know when to stop doing the shots, and then he has other reasons as well.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options
    They are putting me on 3 shots of heparin a day at 36 weeks with twice weekly monitoring.  I'll be on a theraputic dosage so it's pretty high.  I know they want to do an induction, but I wonder if my OB is just more worried this time since it's my second kid?  Maybe higher risk of me going into labor early or something?  I don't know.  This time they do have me on 3 shots instead of 2 like last time.  Last time I stopped shots 2 days prior to induction and didn't have any trouble, even was able to get an epidural.  And so far nothing weird with my pregnancy, cervix is normal and doing it's job and nothing else going on that makes anything different than the last time.  I don't know.  But their worry is starting to get me a little unnerved!

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have no experience or anything but just wanted to send you well wishes.  That sounds like a lot to have on your mind
  • Options
    Thank you both.  My appointment yesterday showed baby is breech also.  Lovely.  Hopefully this one can figure out it's up and down soon.  Nothing I can do to control it right?  Maybe I just need to take a deep breath...  and go get some ice cream.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

IUI#2 BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"