October 2014 Moms
Options

Lets talk vacation

RockyNFrankieRockyNFrankie member
edited January 2015 in October 2014 Moms
I absolutely love traveling and I don't intend to stop now. Before DS was born I thought I would just leave him at home with the grandparents. Now that he is here I don't want to leave him behind. What are your thoughts on vacationing with LO? Please explain

Lets talk vacation 89 votes

Already went on vacation with LO and it was great
13% 12 votes
Already went on vacation with LO and it was a disaster
0% 0 votes
We have a vacation booked for later this year with LO
53% 48 votes
We have a vacation booked for later this year leaving LO home
6% 6 votes
We do not plan on vacationing any time in the next 5 years
1% 1 vote
We do not plan on vacationing any time in the next 18 years
0% 0 votes
Vacation just doesn't sound like fun with LO
4% 4 votes
Vacation? What is that?!
13% 12 votes
Traveling with LO?! Are you fucking crazy??
1% 1 vote
SS
5% 5 votes

Re: Lets talk vacation

• Options
    We are planning a vacation but early next year... I'll be watching the poll for advice/experiences as well.
  • Options
    We took a couple of weekend trips with DD and before her 2nd birthday, we flew to FL for a week. It was fun but it's not the same as vacation before kids in any way. She isn't a very good car traveler either so anything more than a couple of hours is more stress than it is worth.

Now that we have 2 kids, it will probably be awhile before we go on a real vacation with them. Hope to do some sort of long weekend this summer and visit the ILs cabin but we'll wait to put down any big money until the kids are older.

Hope to take a trip with DH when LO stops getting up 3-4 times a night. I don't want to put that on my parents or ILs.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    RockyNFrankieRockyNFrankie member
    edited January 2015
    We are in the process of booking our first trip. In June I will be turning the big 30 and we will most likely do a long weekend (Friday - Tuesday). We are thinking Vegas or Turks and Caicos. We have family in Vegas so there is the potential to have adult time. That's the only reason we are thinking Vegas. We are thinking Turks and Caicos because we absolutely love sandals resorts and they have a beaches resort which is their sister resort in t&c. They are all inclusive including a daycare which means we could have some adult time too. Not sure how I feel about the daycare but I have read good things about it. Assuming this trip goes well we will be book for October to celebrate DS bday and our anniversary.

ET- words
  • Options
    We have always traveled outside the country with our kids. Both DS's left US before the age of 1, now at 11 and 6 they're a breeze to travel with. They love vacation and look forward to it. This LO will be the same as we plan to go away in May. Time to get her passport!
  • Options

We are in the process of booking our first trip. In June I will be turning the big 30 and we will misst likely do a long weekend (Friday - tuesday). We are thinking Vegas or Turks and Caicos. We have family in Vegaa so there is the potential to have adult time. That's the only reason we are thinking Vegas. We are thinking Turks and Caicos because we absolutely love sandals resorts and they have a beaches resort whih is their sister resort in t&c. They are all inclusive including a daycare which means we could have some adult time too. Not sure how I feel about they daycare but I have read good things about it. Assuming this trip goes well we will be book for October to celebrate DS bday and our anniversary.

LOVE Beaches T&C.....one of the best vacations we have ever had!! Go there!!!
  • Options
    We aren't doing anything big this summer. Maybe a couple weekend trips to the lake.

But next summer we plan on going to Gulf Shores to renew our vows for our 10 year anniversary. I couldn't imagine not taking the kids (we have 3 boys). I'm sure it'd be a little more relaxing, but we say all the time how boring we'd be if we didn't have them.
  • Options
    @slsl509 - When you flew to FL did you purchase a seat for DD? We are on the fence about that. I know the recommendation is to buy a seat but obviously there is the $$ factor, but I am just thinking about getting on the plane with DS, car seat, diaper bag, etc. I feel like when DH and I travel just the 2 of us we never have a free hand never mind adding a car seat to the mix. 

I am leaning towards purchasing the seat because DS LOVES his car seat. Most of the time he will just go to sleep the minute he gets in it, but many times I find him just contently sitting there smiling. But I'm thinking that way there is that option if he gets fussy on the flight.
  • Options
    Lindzoid said:
    We are in the process of booking our first trip. In June I will be turning the big 30 and we will misst likely do a long weekend (Friday - tuesday). We are thinking Vegas or Turks and Caicos. We have family in Vegaa so there is the potential to have adult time. That's the only reason we are thinking Vegas. We are thinking Turks and Caicos because we absolutely love sandals resorts and they have a beaches resort whih is their sister resort in t&c. They are all inclusive including a daycare which means we could have some adult time too. Not sure how I feel about they daycare but I have read good things about it. Assuming this trip goes well we will be book for October to celebrate DS bday and our anniversary.
    Did you happen to use their daycare services or see the facility? This is my one concern about going there. I want to bring DS with us and spend most of out time with him, but I would also like to have some time alone with DH. I guess the worst that happens, is if I am not comfortable with the situation we don't get that time. 

I am def. leaning toward T&C while DH is worried about international travel with DS. Once you arrived in T&C how long was it until you were at the resort? We LOVE going to the Sandals in Jamaica because the airport has a VIP package you can purchase which allows you to skip all the lines and go straight to the Sandals lounge. Then depending on which resort we stay at we are at the resort within 2 hours of landing. When we stay in Montego Bay its less than 30 minutes from the time we land to the time we are at the resort drinking. 
  • Options
    We have a trip up in the air to Montana in august for a wedding. I'd like to drop her off in AZ w my parents, but then I still have to bring a pump if I'm still BF'ing. How annoying.
  • Options
    staryb said:
    I think we're going to the beach this summer. I can't wait to put those tiny toes in the sand and see how she reacts to the ocean!
    Yes! I have been crossing everything crossable that Little Man is a beach bum like mommy! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    ::two chest pumps and a peace sign for Jenn:: ~ MrsJudgeyPants 

This is legal advice. Circa 2011 image
  • Options

@slsl509 - When you flew to FL did you purchase a seat for DD? We are on the fence about that. I know the recommendation is to buy a seat but obviously there is the $$ factor, but I am just thinking about getting on the plane with DS, car seat, diaper bag, etc. I feel like when DH and I travel just the 2 of us we never have a free hand never mind adding a car seat to the mix. 

I am leaning towards purchasing the seat because DS LOVES his car seat. Most of the time he will just go to sleep the minute he gets in it, but many times I find him just contently sitting there smiling. But I'm thinking that way there is that option if he gets fussy on the flight.
    I flew from az to fl when ds1 was 3 months and it was relatively easy. I didn't buy him a seat. I put him in a carrier and wore him which was so much easier in security and boarding. They wouldn't let him be strapped to me for take off and landing, so I just held him for that. My car seat wasn't airline approved so they wouldn't have let me use it anyway (most aren't). Babies r us sells a car seat travel bag for around $20 and it helps protect the car seat. We took ours to the gate as a carry on and then had them check it so it wouldn't get squished under all the luggage.

I love traveling with my kids! If planned well, it is easy. Oh! I also got a cheap pack n play at Walmart just for the trip. That way if it got ruined or lost it was no big deal.
  • Options

I flew from az to fl when ds1 was 3 months and it was relatively easy. I didn't buy him a seat. I put him in a carrier and wore him which was so much easier in security and boarding. They wouldn't let him be strapped to me for take off and landing, so I just held him for that. My car seat wasn't airline approved so they wouldn't have let me use it anyway (most aren't). Babies r us sells a car seat travel bag for around $20 and it helps protect the car seat. We took ours to the gate as a carry on and then had them check it so it wouldn't get squished under all the luggage. I love traveling with my kids! If planned well, it is easy. Oh! I also got a cheap pack n play at Walmart just for the trip. That way if it got ruined or lost it was no big deal.
    Wearing him was my original thought. Then I could use his backpack diaper bag and check all of our luggage. DH could handle anything else we needed. But I am now thinking if I buy him a seat, he can hang out in his car seat and gate check his snap and go that way we don't really have to carry anything through the airport and it might be nice to have his snap and go with us.

I didn't realize most car seats weren't approved! I just checked mine and it is approved. 

Its good to hear you had a positive experience. I am such a planner its ridiculous. Even when its just DH and I, I use Excel to make spreadsheets for every little detail. 
  • Options

I flew from az to fl when ds1 was 3 months and it was relatively easy. I didn't buy him a seat. I put him in a carrier and wore him which was so much easier in security and boarding. They wouldn't let him be strapped to me for take off and landing, so I just held him for that. My car seat wasn't airline approved so they wouldn't have let me use it anyway (most aren't). Babies r us sells a car seat travel bag for around $20 and it helps protect the car seat. We took ours to the gate as a carry on and then had them check it so it wouldn't get squished under all the luggage.

I love traveling with my kids! If planned well, it is easy. Oh! I also got a cheap pack n play at Walmart just for the trip. That way if it got ruined or lost it was no big deal.

Wearing him was my original thought. Then I could use his backpack diaper bag and check all of our luggage. DH could handle anything else we needed. But I am now thinking if I buy him a seat, he can hang out in his car seat and gate check his snap and go that way we don't really have to carry anything through the airport and it might be nice to have his snap and go with us.

I didn't realize most car seats weren't approved! I just checked mine and it is approved. 

Its good to hear you had a positive experience. I am such a planner its ridiculous. Even when its just DH and I, I use Excel to make spreadsheets for every little detail. 

I think my car seat said it was airline approved too but the actual airline said it wasn't. I would check with them to be sure. I didn't know the first time I flew with dd and didn't have anything to protect the seat, so it got pretty beat up. It also delayed boarding because we were weren't prepared to check it so we had to get a luggage tag and all that. Luckily I knew in advance when I started traveling with ds1 so it was much easier.
  • Options
    WE traveled with my oldest when she was 4 month old.  It was 1000000 times easier than when we traveled with her at 14 months old.  RIght now, we don't have any vacations planned until Jan/Feb 2016 when we are going to Disney for the older one's birthday.

It isn't exactly hard to travel with the little ones....just different.
    Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options
    Would love to vacation with LO but DH and I had trouble arranging a time we could both go due to our schedules before she was born I couldn't imagine working it out now.
  • Options

Lindzoid said:

Did you happen to use their daycare services or see the facility? This is my one concern about going there. I want to bring DS with us and spend most of out time with him, but I would also like to have some time alone with DH. I guess the worst that happens, is if I am not comfortable with the situation we don't get that time. 

I am def. leaning toward T&C while DH is worried about international travel with DS. Once you arrived in T&C how long was it until you were at the resort? We LOVE going to the Sandals in Jamaica because the airport has a VIP package you can purchase which allows you to skip all the lines and go straight to the Sandals lounge. Then depending on which resort we stay at we are at the resort within 2 hours of landing. When we stay in Montego Bay its less than 30 minutes from the time we land to the time we are at the resort drinking. 

We went when DS1 was 4 and used the daycare for a few hours one day as he had sunburn and I wanted him to stay inside. He loved it and I was comfortable with it. The people were nice, however he was 4...so he could tell me what they did. I don't know if I would send this LO so young. I'm weird and do everything with kids anyways.
    As for the ride to the resort, I don't recall how long it was....we were there 6 years ago. But I don't remember it bring outrageously long.
  • Options
    Going on a group ski trip next month, LO will be 4 mos. I'm very anxious about flying with her and the logistics of renting a crib, etc, and hiring a babysitter. There will also be a 6 mos old with us. I found out I was pregnant 3 days before our group trip last year, so didn't ski, so really looking forward to getting on the mountain, and can't wait to put LO on skis in a few years! Hoping this trip goes smoothly and thankful to be flying with DH so I can get confidence to maybe fly alone with her this summer.

BabyFruit Ticker
    imageimage

Winston is ready to have a little sister!

• Options
    We went to St. Lucia for a week, she was a dream!

• Options
    I don't have any vacation plans now... mostly because we have no money.  However we went on a road trip to a destination wedding without DS when he was 11 months old.  I'm so glad we had that time to reconnect before DD came, but I think it would have been harder if he was younger.  If we go to a beach or something the littles will definitely come with us.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We're planning on going to Canada to visit my BFF when LO is 9 months old. ...if Mommy can find her passport. And get a certified copy of LO's birth certificate. So it really depends on me. Any tips on securing a passport for a munchkin?
  • Options
    We're planning on going to Canada to visit my BFF when LO is 9 months old. ...if Mommy can find her passport. And get a certified copy of LO's birth certificate. So it really depends on me. Any tips on securing a passport for a munchkin?
    It's easy, just take LOTS of photos since they want one with a neutral expression with baby looking straight at camera, then go on the US passport website and you upload and crop it to their specs before printing it. Most post offices will handle the application, ours took 2 weeks with expedited service to arrive
    -----sig and ticker warning----------
    me: 37 unexplained infertility, DH 37 normal
    ttc for 18 months before seeing RE
    Letrozol on CD 3-7, overdril trigger

IUI#1, 2 follicles 17.4 and 20mm                BFN
    Letrozol and TI cycle                                  BFN
    IUI#2 2 follicles (RE noted fluid in uterus, and then realized it was there last time too)  BFN
    Letrozol and TI                                            BFN
    IUI#3 one follicle 21mm (fluid there again) BFP!!!
    02/10 beta#1 335 (at 4weeks1day), 02/12 Beta#2 751 :-)

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    sas2551 said:

It's easy, just take LOTS of photos since they want one with a neutral expression with baby looking straight at camera, then go on the US passport website and you upload and crop it to their specs before printing it. Most post offices will handle the application, ours took 2 weeks with expedited service to arrive

(Visiting from the November board)

You can take your own baby's photo for the passport??? I was thinking id go to Walgreens to get baby's photo but I'd rather do it myself. I didn't see anything online about taking the photo yourself...?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"