September 2015 Moms
Options

Anyone on antidepressants??

Hey yall,
I was just wondering if anyone has gone through a pregnancy or currently going through one on Pristiq or another SSRI?
I'm currently taking 100 mg Pristiq and 200 mg of trazadone for sleep. I'm really worried about my baby because my doctor wants me to stay on my medicine. I am a first time mother and I want to have a very healthy baby. Anyone experiencing the same??

Re: Anyone on antidepressants??

• Options
    I am supposed to be on niravam (xanax) and my Dr strongly told me that particular drug causes major birth defects (tails!!!) and he told me do NOT take during pregnancy!!!. I don't know exactly the differences are between what you're on, but I'm sure it's not the same at all if your doc said it's fine. Plys xanax is mainly for anxiety. I am also taking ventolin for asthma and my doctor said it's perfectly fine to take when I'm wheezing meanwhile I read and heard that it's not supposed to be taken during pregnancy??? so it's frustrating.... I posted last week if anyone else was taking asthma inhalers because I was worried while waiting for my Dr appt, and I got maybe one or two actual nice responses, everyone else was a bit abrupt and snirky....When were suppose to be here for support and sharing experiences., etc. Good luck momma!
  • Options
    I'm on Zoloft which is category B (pregnancy safe).  I'm sure it would be better to not have to take it, but I need it too bad.  I firmly believe the mother's health should always come first.  I had severe post partum depression with my first and I need to prevent another crash. 

I'm sure your doctor would not have you taking them if he/she thought there was any risk to the baby.  Did you look up what categories the FDA has classified them as? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on Zoloft and Doc wants me off it asap, at least by last trimester. She said the baby will experience SSRI withdrawals after delivery.
  • Options
    I'm on 30 mg of Prozac. Was also on Visteril and Xanax but had to stop taking those. Now I just have the Prozac some unisom and my prenatals.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo theboysanddany_zps4c74191e.jpg
  • Options
    Pristiq is a category C and so is Trazadone! Thanks for all the replies!
  • Options
    I'm on a category C antipsychotic because I'm bipolar and the doctor is saying I'm good to continue taking it! Your doctor wouldn't allow it if it wasn't ok, just breathe and relax knowing that you can safely continue taking your meds! :)
  • Options
    I'm on Zoloft and Wellbutrin. It kind of came down to whether it was more dangerous to me or more to the baby. There are definitely potential side effects, like serotonin withdrawals and possibility of seizure at birth (it sounds way scarier than studies show it is), but none of it affects long term.

Talk to your doctor about all your concerns. He/she wants your baby to be healthy just like you do. However, they also want you to be healthy.
  • Options
    Thank you for your replies! Yall make me feel better knowing I'm not the only one!
  • Options
    I was on low dose Zoloft with my first and went off it. Looking back now I wish I had talked to someone and possibly started back after the birth because I definitely had undiagnosed post partum depression. Weight the risks and benefits carefully and be honest with yourself and those around you. Good luck mommy :)
  • Options
    I was on Depakote, Lamictal, and Prazosin and got off all 3.
    I am terribly sad and angry all the time now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"