Pregnant after 35
Options

8 weeks here. Feeling horrible. How's everyone else feeling?

Just 2 weeks ago I was concerned about no symptoms.  The past 3 days I haven't been able to eat more than saltines..am so very ill.
Does anyone find that water makes the nausea worse?  I felt dehydrated so tried my hardest to 8 have 8 glasses today but after each glass I got sick.
Wow..this is rough stuff.  

Re: 8 weeks here. Feeling horrible. How's everyone else feeling?

• Options
    I am so sorry! I was right there at 8 weeks. And yes, water made things much worse. It was no bueno. What I ended up doing was drinking anything - milk, juice, flavored water - I could keep down. I highly recommend getting a water infuser so you can use fresh fruit, such as lemons and oranges, to slightly flavor the water, making it more palatable. You can also try Preggie Pops. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Preggie Pops are the best! I also did well with smoothies. Triscuits and cream cheese was my go to solid at 8 weeks
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh..these are such great and helpful ideas!! Thank you both so very much.  I will do that.  I am liking the triscuits and cream cheese idea too. Unfortunately today I couldn't even have a smoothie.  Dear God I finally know what people had talked to me about all those years telling me about awful morning sickness.  I really never thought it could be this bad!
    Thanks again. :)  Take care~
  • Options
    Sorry you're feeling so bad.  The first trimester can be brutal.  Sparkling water worked for me in terms of liquids.

AFM, just dealing with third trimester discomforts.  It's not great, but I'll take it any day over the first trimester stuff.
  • Options
    They call it the Worst Trimester. I know it was hard for me to picture feeling like my old self again, but by 16-17 weeks, I could actually function (almost) normally again. My only advice is to take it one day at a time and know that it will get better.
  • Options
    AASykesAASykes member
    edited January 2015
    There were days I actually did much better with crushed or pellet ice than with water. A big cup of ice from Sonic was a blessing some days
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    THANK YOU!!! Helps me so much again!  It is so good to hear we will feel normal again.  I see why it is called the worst trimester..My first appt. isn't until next week but I will call dr. tomorrow since I do think I'm dehydrated.  Ginger is making me worse and I can't even look at another cracker.
    Found this too for anyone also searching for help.
    • Acupressure – The pressure point to reduce nausea is located at the middle of the inner wrist, three finger lengths away from the crease of the wrist, and between the two tendons. Locate and press firmly, one wrist at a time for three minutes. Sea bands also help with acupressure and can be found at your local drug store.
  • Options
    I bought those stupid special bands from Babies 'R' Us and broke out in a rash! Didn't work for me. I would save the $12.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    lol!  Thanks.  I will stick with doing the acupressure technique...and pray this improves soon!  Just the thought of going to work. Ugh. 
  • Options
    Also, there are medications you can take - you don't have to suffer in silence. The standard first line of defense is vitamin B6 + unisom in combination. 

Here is some more information from another board:

Vitamin B6 and doxylamine have often been used in combination to treat morning sickness. In fact, the FDA has approved this combination for nausea and vomiting during pregnancy under the brand-name Diclegis. Your practitioner may write you a prescription for it or have you take the over-the-counter combination.Other prescription nausea medications include Zofran, Compazine, Tigan, and the antihistamine Phenergan. (Note: Compazine and Phenergan should never be taken together.)

If your nausea and vomiting are so severe that you can't keep anything down, including water, juice, food, prenatal vitamins, and medications, you probably have a condition called hyperemesis gravidarum. If your situation is that severe, your doctor will most likely want to check you into the hospital for treatment with intravenous (IV) fluids and medications.

Source: https://www.babycenter.com/404_which-medications-can-i-take-for-morning-sickness-during-pre_1366869.bc

• Options
    Also one thing my acupuncturist recommended was eating raspberries. Take some frozen and place in a pot on the stove and let melt. Eat straight. I love it. The tangy sweetness is good. And it builds blood which we need.

Also try thinking when you're eating that it's for the baby. Not for me. Cause it's gross but if it's for the baby it's easier for me to swallow.
    TTC#1 since Aug 2013, I'm 37, DH 41.  
    Maya Arvigo Abdominal massage (daily self care), plus TTC meditations.
    I'm very sensitive to diet (gluten, avoid processed foods) and environment. Have a history of inflammation and tendinitis before going off gluten in 2009.  
    July 2014 - RE Visit #1: Eggs look good, Endometrioma on R ovary, HSG showed blocked R tube close to ovary. DH SA normal 
    DX: Endometriosis probably the IF cause and gunking up tubes.  Since egg reserve is high, RE says I can wait a couple months and then get laproscopic surgery to remove endo & clear tube.  If that doesn't help then move to IVF. 
    Dec 2014 - Saw new RE - does not recommend surgery on tube as it isn't likely to help.  Doubts I have endometriosis.  My endometrioma shrunk to neglible size (yay!) 
    Seriously considering IVF in March/April
    12/17/14 - Natural BFP! 
  • Options
    Thank you.. I love the raspberry and the seltzer trip. I am going to try both of those.   Today seemed better -- more of a mild nausea..but I probably just jinxed myself. :)
    I'm thinking the acupressure point might actually help. 
  • Options
    Wow..awesome.  Thanks! Acupuncture on my list, too!
  • Options
    for most of my pregnancies water was impossible to get down.  SOmetimes if it was really really icy cold I could do a bit.  Pink grapefruit juice was a bit easier to drink sometimes.  Just small sips don't try to guzzle anything down.  Also, those sparkling ocean spray cranberry cocktail drinks that are sold in the packs of little cans...one pregnancy I lived off those during my sick weeks.  Those slightly sour tart things were most palatable to me
  • Options
    I am 8 weeks also! I found that constant eating helps me not suffer my MS (I hate this because I am getting fat already but if I just don't stop I don't seems to suffer as much).  the minute I stop eating, I start dry heaving. it is wretched. Since Christmas just got over I have a large supply of candy canes which have been helping me when I can't get anything down. Have any peppermints for between, during or after meals? 
    Wishing you the best and an end of suffering soon!  
    Aug 15 April Siggy challenge: Baby Shower fails:

BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I am 13 weeks and feel horrible since 6 weeks. I am taking meds for nausea but it doesnt take it away completely. I have no appetite and no energy.

I cannot drink water either instead I drink minute maid lemonade and I can stomach that.

Good Luck.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mindaamindaa member
    edited January 2015
    I am 8 weeks also! I found that constant eating helps me not suffer my MS (I hate this because I am getting fat already but if I just don't stop I don't seems to suffer as much).  the minute I stop eating, I start dry heaving. it is wretched. 

This was me for the first couple months. I was happy that I wasn't puking, but the constant force-feeding felt pretty awful. I was horrified to gain 15 pounds in the first 15 weeks.(since "they" all say you don't really start gaining until 2nd tri)
    But since then, I've been able to return to a more normal eating routine, and my weight has been stable, putting me at a pretty normal weight gain for 21 weeks, where I am now. Phew! 
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    I was feeling much better at 10 weeks, then last night I woke up at 2am to puke for 20 minutes straight. Apparently the baby hates chocolate milk now! That's the first time I've gotten really sick so far :(

I feel sorry for everyone struggling with nausea and vomiting. Last night was terrible!
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I feel almost 100% better than I did at 8 to 13 weeks. And trust me, infused water is a godsend. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Infused water it is!
    Wow- so many of us suffering badly from this!!  I will try peppermints.
    These food aversions are so extreme.  Zero appetite since week one!
    Thank you all.  Everyone take care and may we be feeling much better soon!!
  • Options
    Infused water...what do you put in it.
  • Options
    I was a-ok until about 9 weeks, then the morning sickness began and lasted through about 16 weeks. I found that in the moment (e.g a work meeting or presentation) popping in a piece of gum or a tums would re-wire my brain long enough to get somewhere more appropriate to gag uncontrollably.
  • Options
    Wow- through 16 weeks?!   That's a good tip to remember. Thanks.
    Today was just awful all day ms again.  Good thing it's going to snow here b/c all I want to do is just curl up in bed!   I hope I can clear my mind of this fear. I am so super nervous for my first ultrasound next week! (9 weeks)
    Take care everyone. 
  • Options
    Hang in there- it does get better (for most). I'm also in NYC (well, the burbs) so I will also be doing nothing in my pjs all day tomorrow :)
  • Options
    Thanks. That is good to hear! I miss eating.  Sure is a good snow day for us!!
  • Options
    If you could get some authentic coconut water give that a try - it is easy to go down and helps with dehydration. Try to find the real deal though, no added sugars.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"