Nurseries and Baby Gear

Anyone good at curtain designs? (XP with Craft Corner)

I'm bad at curtains. I don't really like them, and I generally want as much light as possible, which even sheers block. My DH, however, likes blackout curtains that provide insulation (we live in a cold, snowy place). The nursery, which we've been building from the rafters and subflooring, definitely needs something, and probably blackout curtains, as the window is west-facing (for those on mobile I'm due with our first in April).

We had wanted something like this:
But in a kids' pattern or color, as we're doing a woodland theme. We thought the branch and the flowy look would work well. However, when I went to do the measurements for it, I'm thinking that the space is too small. This is a dormer, and you can see from the pics that there isn't a lot of space for a gracefully arching branch.
The square underneath is a radiant heater, so any curtains have to end above it, which also limits the possibilities. Please ignore the fact that the trim is unfinished, and the window is dirty, etc. This is still under construction. :)

So what kind of curtain design would you do in this space, assuming you had to use blackout curtains? Ideally it would be something that could open and close easily, and have some whimsy to it. I'm good at sewing, so I'll be making these myself. We don't want blinds.

Any advice appreciated. TIA!!
**********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage

Re: Anyone good at curtain designs? (XP with Craft Corner)

• Since you're making them yourself, why not just find a patterned fabric that goes with the woodland theme? You could line it with white blackout fabric and use a simple curtain rod. I would do basic curtains, with grommets or loops on top, cut to whatever length you need them to be. Or, do a wooden rod like on this site I found. (You'll have to scroll through the pictures to find the one of the curtains.) It seems like an easy enough project; you could make your own to fit the size of your room/window.

https://projectnursery.com/projects/baby-woods-woodland-themed-nursery/
  • What about doing a hidden rod and painting branches or whole trees that go up the ceiling? Or a rod painted the same color as the painted branches so it looks like part of the tree? Then curtains with ties instead of grommets so it looks like you tied the curtain to a tree? I would go with a white blackout fabric behind whatever fabric you choose. (Bird fabric with matching birds painted on your tree?)
  • Loading the player...
  • I would actually suggest a roman shade or rolling shade, since you don't have much space above or next to the window and you don't want it hanging past the window. You can still do a fun color/pattern and get something lightblocking, and you could even paint a branch motif around the window if you miss that element.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"