School-Aged Children

When did you stop having birthday parties

I youngest will be five on Sunday and we are having his birthday party Saturday. . I was thinking to just due milestones birthdays from here on out, 10, 13, 16, 18. What age did you stop having huge birthday partied for your kids
Trying to Conceive Ticker 
H: 36 Me: 36
#1- 5
#2-14
imageimage

Re: When did you stop having birthday parties

• -auntie- said:
    Where I live, most kids have a classwide party into kindie or first, then a smaller friends only or all one gender party until about 8-10.Then things get quiet and a kid might do something with their BFF or a couple good friends. I think the last birthday party we did was laser tage when DS was going into 3rd or 4th- he was in a small school and we invited his class of 10 kids.

Next big party is a bar mitzvah at 13 if they're Jewish. A few girls do a sweet 16 if they're not Jewish and didn't get a bat mitzvah. Most kids do graduation in leiu of an 18th. The boys who make Eagle Scout always get a party, but they're usually shared with other Eagle Scouts.
    I love the idea of the smaller party with all boys..that seems less expensive and like more fun. . 
    #1- 5
    #2-14
    imageimage
  • We've never done a class wide party. When DS was under five and now for DD who is under five, we just do a play date with brunch and cupcakes.

At five, we started house parties with about ten friends (invites get mailed home/hand delivered to parents). DS is turning seven this year and we'll probably do this for another two years. After that we might do something where he can invite 2-3 friends to an activity (movie, roller skating, bowling, etc).

• Loading the player...
  • We just did a big party for DD who turned six. She doesn't have any close friends. My plan next year will be maybe a movie date with a few friends or a sleepover.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love the idea of an activity with a couple of friends. Parties are so much work!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • I never had "huge" birthday parties for my kids.  I just don't like the idea of a huge production.

Both of my kids have had a handful of traditional parties where invites are sent out, there's a theme to the party, kids arrive, games are played, cake eaten, favor bags given, etc.  I felt like these parties were most fun and meaningful when my kids were between 5 and 9.  

My kids have also done nice birthday experiences like inviting one or two kids for an outing, or having a sleepover with a few best friends.  I can't imagine doing a big "bash" for my daughter's "sweet 16" with invites and a cake. She'd probably vomit first.  But traditional parties like that are not her cup of tea.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  •  We have big parties with extended family and friends until age 5.  At age 6 we do a small family party (grandparents and aunts/uncles/cousins) and then a friend party.  The friend party is 8-12 kids and somewhere out an about (not at my house).  
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • KL777KL777 member
    edited January 2015
    We did a big party with a party hostess at Chuck E Cheese for DS's first birthday.  
    • His 2 year old birthday was over my mom's house and we invited a few family members.  
    • His 3rd was at Chuck E Cheese (no party hostess, but "on your own" party).  
    • His 4th was at a Bounce House with family (no party hostess, but "on your own") and then we moved the second half of the party to Pizza Hut.  
    • His 5th was at Chuck E Cheese (no party hostess, but "on your own")
    • His 6th was at home (just me and DH) with decorations, party favors, pizza, , and an ice cream cake, and then we took him to an arcade
    • His 7th was was in a reserved themed party room at Rebounderz trampoline arena with 10 kids-super fun!
    • Next year, DS wants his party to be at a skating rink (w/party room).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• We kept it small just with family until age 4 when he started going to school and making friends. We invited the whole class (12 kids) and they invited the whole class as well. This year, for his 6th, he is going to an all new school and doesn't have close friends so we again invited the whole class (17 kids) and only 4 came. He hasn't recieved any invites to any other kids parties so far so it's hard to know what to do. I hope he gets a little closer to a few kids and maybe next year we can do a smaller group of friends.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. H and I have come to the discission that from age 6-9 he can have a guys night type sleep over and 10 we will do a big party. 
    #1- 5
    #2-14
    imageimage
  • Dd is 9 and we stopped this last birthday, It doesn't help that she has a late summer bday. We did 4 close friends, sleepover, swimming and lunar golf. It was fun and no stress.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would think between 5 and 10 would be the best ages for a birthday party.  Up til 5 we just do friends.  This year DD will be going into kindergarden and I'll let her have her 1st friends party when she turns 6.  She's been to many daycare friend parties, but I feel like she's not going to know these kids in another few months, when she makes friends at school that she'll grow up with I'll start spending money on parties, plus I'd like to get to know the other families. 
  • My dd just turned 9 and I think next year will be sleepover instead of a party. Did you the girls get any sleep? I'm a little worried about drama or a kid wanting to go home in the middle of the night. Thinking back to my own sleepover days!
  • Middle school was when I stopped having parties.  Since I have boy/girl twins I'm hoping they might want separate "event like" get togethers with a few friends earlier than that.  Parties with a soccer team, gym team, and two separate classes, plus family and close friends. :(( I feel like half the city is in our back yard each year.  With my older son though the party is half the size and Chucky Cheese.  So easy. :) 
  • I did a kind of a big party when he turned 11 and after that didn't do anything for a while. He is turning 13 and I told him he could have some friends over and this is the last time, after that just like a small family celebration.
  • Maybe the outlier but we never stopped - lol! I didn't even know stopping was a thing. I had birthday parties each year until I was ... 21?

DD #1: 2012; MMC: 2014; DD #2: 2015; It's a boy! 3/31/2018

• I have two boys (17 & 18). 

I would throw them a birthday party every year growing up. We would mostly invite family and as they got into school they would also invite a few friends from school. 

My oldest's birthday is in August, so naturally it was usually a BBQ/pool party at our house. We stopped at his 18th birthday.

My youngest's birthday is in March. We did have a few parties in the house but also did a few parties outside of the home (McDonald's, bowling, lazer tag, mini golf, etc) For his 14th birthday he just wanted us (him, parents, brother) to go out to eat (he chose Red Robin thumbsup2 ) and then he wanted to spend the afternoon at Cabela's. confused3 But hey, it's his birthday. From then on, we haven't had a traditional birthday for him. It's really been us going out to his choice of restaurant. I will however, have one for his 18th next year. After their 18th, it'll just be a night of dinner and gift.
  • I think, it is no other way to work with the main opportunities from this point of view. That is the reason why people are looking for the different variants of such type parties.
  • I think the best option is to party till 18 if the child wants to.
    When a child is small, he needs to learn how to make friends, when he is a teenager, learn to keep these friendships and have fun