September 2012 Moms

Thursday Thoughts

Re: Thursday Thoughts

• PokedotPokedot member
    edited January 2015
    Zulily has Keens on today and my favorite shoes of all time are availble for $39.99.  I just can't pull the trigger.  The pair I have is the pattern I love.  These ones have camo on them, and there are few things less "me."  In fact, me + camo is pretty much the most unlikely combo I can think of.

I've also bought Nancy 3 swimsuits for Mexico.  We have a big pool and a kiddie pool at the house, so I figure we'll be doing a lot of swimming.  Zulily also has like 3 swim sales.  I want to buy all the swimsuits....

I went and checked out the shoes. Cute but yes the camo not me. I did look for shoes for B too. He loves his KEEN's but nothing cute in his size. I don't think he really needs shoes anyway. I did get B this for his new room though because I had a $20 credit coming:

https://www.zulily.com/p/chipped-rust-metal-weather-vane-dcor-116392-21268687.html

• Okay, is there a way to look and see what the entertainment book contains?  Because I can get a KC and a Wichita book for $15 and I would assume there are enough coupons that I can recoup my money well?

P.S. I have never bought an entertainment book in my life!

STUCK:  I don't think so.  But I've always made my money back, it's not hard to do.  In our cities book, we've used both chain and local restaurant coupons, stores, community centers, etc. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Stasi said:
    Anyone still around these parts or have we all abandonded ship?

I work from home on Thursdays without the kids...it's easily my favorite date of the week because I can get so much done.

However, I often find myself in a battle on what to actually tackle (besides work) do I go on that run I wanted to get in? Meal plan and grocery shop? Re-organize the kids drawers and pack away old clothes? Finish laundry (yes)....
    I would LOVE to have one work from home day a week for this reason. I could multitask so much housework while doing office work!

• @jenndub Good Luck!  I hope she sleeps!  How long of a drive is it?

Re: my commentary on lurkers....  if it's someone who was really active at one point, it's not that weird to me.  Or if it's someone who interacted here in the last 6 months but they got a new job where they can't log on so they're only reading out of boredom while they're on the toilet at night or something, that's also not that weird.  But I dunno........if you're none of the above and read all this general chit chat about our daily nuances, I do think that's weird.  The other threads, I totally get.  But the daily chat thread is just different IMO.

I was also thinking about how much I love this group as it is right now.  There isn't anyone who makes me feel super annoyed.  I was reminded yesterday of how irritated I would get at a couple posters way back when just because they existed haha.
    LOL, this is me. There are some people I don't miss.

• Guys, DD tested positive for RSV :-( Waiting on strep results too, but those won't be in until Sat AM. Poor little girl.

• melody921 said:
    Guys, DD tested positive for RSV :-( Waiting on strep results too, but those won't be in until Sat AM. Poor little girl.
    Oh no!!  Poor girl, I hope she's doing better soon.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Eastie156 said:
    This should be a UO and I complained about it on FB this morning, but standing in the middle of a highway or expressway to block traffic to protest is about the stupidest thing one can do. This happened on the way to work just outside Boston this morning. It's stupid and can kill people. Apparently on the Southbound lane, traffic came to a screeching halt as people walked out into traffic that was likely moving at between 65-80 miles an hour. Dumb.Dumb,Dumb.
    They did that here a couple weeks ago. No one could get out of the city because all the bridges were blocked with protestors. Dumb. You are not making your point by standing in the stree. You only manage to piss people off and cause more havoc.
    It's so stupid. They did it here a few weeks back and it was mostly in the city and only some protestors were blocking an onramp to a different highway. On the northbound side this morning below the city, they chained themselves to jersey barriers and CEMENTED their hands in barrels. What a fun job for the EMS, Police and State Police to deal with.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• kelbel527 said:
    melody921 said:
    Guys, DD tested positive for RSV :-( Waiting on strep results too, but those won't be in until Sat AM. Poor little girl.
    Oh no!!  Poor girl, I hope she's doing better soon.
    I hope she gets better quickly!  So sorry you are dealing with that @melody921

tryingtogrowareddenfamily.blogspot.com

lifeofadialysiswife.blogspot.com

• Okay, is there a way to look and see what the entertainment book contains?  Because I can get a KC and a Wichita book for $15 and I would assume there are enough coupons that I can recoup my money well?

P.S. I have never bought an entertainment book in my life!
    we buy one every year, though it's through the local football team and we always get suckered into it. It really is a good deal, we just always forget about it and then scramble to DO ALL OF THE THINGS! in November and December to get our money's worth. 
  • melody921 said:
    Oh poor kid! I'm sorry.

• jenndub said:
    I'm driving to Vegas tomorrow with our family for Emma's soccer tournament. I'm the most nervous about Lennon in this drive. She fucking hates being in the car. It's basically the only time she cries. I'm scared.
    Oh man, @jenndub good luck with the drive. Hopefully Lennon will just sleep for most of it.

• I've bought an entertainment book for years.  I found our 2014 one last week and realized I had only used 2 coupons out of it.  Enough to justify the $10, but still stupid, especially with how infrequently we go out anymore.

As it stands, I have $50 in Fandango gift cards (no fandango places around here....), $50 Red Robin, $50 local Italian place, and $200 for a nice hotel with good restaurants in it downtown that we've had for almost a whole year.  Sigh.  Someday we'll go out again and have fun without our kids....
    omg what?!?!? Our entertainment books suck then! We have like 'buy one pizza, get another for $2 off' and '9 holes of mini golf free, on wednesdays, when it's raining, and the blue moon is on the horizon'. 
    I wonder if @marisakathleen was saying she has those gift cards separate, not that they're included in the book.  Otherwise, ours sucks too. :)

Sorry to hear that @melody921!  Hope she feels better soon. 
  • Our county is now having a debate about snow plows only plowing from sun up to sun down because of safety.  I am pissed as hell because that means that Fire, EMS and police are going to be out running all of the additional accidents on those days because streets, highways, etc aren't plowed and their lives are going to be put in further danger because the plow driver's safety is more important.  By the way, we maybe get snow and ice 10x in a year.....

• Eastie156 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    This should be a UO and I complained about it on FB this morning, but standing in the middle of a highway or expressway to block traffic to protest is about the stupidest thing one can do. This happened on the way to work just outside Boston this morning. It's stupid and can kill people. Apparently on the Southbound lane, traffic came to a screeching halt as people walked out into traffic that was likely moving at between 65-80 miles an hour. Dumb.Dumb,Dumb.
    They did that here a couple weeks ago. No one could get out of the city because all the bridges were blocked with protestors. Dumb. You are not making your point by standing in the stree. You only manage to piss people off and cause more havoc.
    It's so stupid. They did it here a few weeks back and it was mostly in the city and only some protestors were blocking an onramp to a different highway. On the northbound side this morning below the city, they chained themselves to jersey barriers and CEMENTED their hands in barrels. What a fun job for the EMS, Police and State Police to deal with.
    See shit like that pisses me right off!  Do they know what happens when you put cement on your skin?  Do they realize that they are now endangering the lives of police officers, EMS (whom they have no quabble with), and Troopers because they decided to be dumb fucks?

Sorrynotsorry it is just so stupid!
    @willy_gert H and I were talking about the cement on body parts as we were sitting in the horrendous traffic backup. What does it do? We wondered; how do they even get it off?

• Eastie156 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    Eastie156 said:
    See shit like that pisses me right off!  Do they know what happens when you put cement on your skin?  Do they realize that they are now endangering the lives of police officers, EMS (whom they have no quabble with), and Troopers because they decided to be dumb fucks?

Sorrynotsorry it is just so stupid!
    @willy_gert H and I were talking about the cement on body parts as we were sitting in the horrendous traffic backup. What does it do? We wondered; how do they even get it off?
    It sucks moisture out of you like whoa, so basically dehydrates you quickly and then when they remove it, the area swells because of the lack of oxygen and moisture.  Mostly they have to saw it off and then pull it off once in gets close enough to the skin.

Basically they are fucking idiots, is that against TOU?  and they are putting their lives in more danger than they realize!

• @tinyhumantoe The drive to Vegas without traffic is about 5 hours. But I'm sure there will be traffic because we're leaving on a Friday afternoon and it's a long weekend for some people.
    Sorry about your shitty day yesterday, that sounds pretty terrible.

Emma Rose - 9.14.05    Beckett - 5.26.07    Sawyer - 9.22.12    Lennon Mae - 9.26.14
  • Yea, sorry guys, my gift cards are separate from the entertainment book. :-)

I was saying that I have all these gift cards I still haven't used & an entertainment book, so my entertainment book was essentially a waste of $10. 

If they came with that other stuff, I'd totally shell otu $10 for one.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• I'm 1 hr into my 3 hr GD test. I feel squicky.

@alinnjo Poor puppy! My bil has a great dane and he's awesome. That makes me sad.

@melody921‌ Poor girl! Aria has strep right now. Are you waiting for a long culture?
    Aria September 18, 2012
    Baby Due April 17, 2015
  • Dang soccer mom @jenndub, that is so far away for a soccer tournament! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • @melody921!  sorry to hear about your little one - i hope she feels better soon!!

We've bought entertainment books before and i think sometimes we just get a bit more than your money's worth sometimes more; depending on how closely we are paying attention to actually using the coupons!  I admit i am terrible at remembering to use coupons - unless its in my wallet / purse i forget :(

now groupons / living social / amazon local deals - i puffy heart those deals!
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • kelbel527kelbel527 member
    edited January 2015
    I also have a hard time remembering to use coupons.  The $10 book is worth it for me.  I can easily use $10 worth.  There are quite a few buy one meal get one free, or the big one I know we'll use is the cheaper movie tickets.

@willy_gert -  I did on the site that if you click on your area it will give you an example of some of the places on the list.  It won't tell you what the deal is, but I did take a quick look at some of the places on the list and saw enough that I knew we would use it.  

ETA: plus we have had them in the past, so I am familiar with some of the regular coupons in it.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• @melody921 that freaking sucks :(

I lurk my F15 BMB sometimes.  I feel like the thing over there is to bark, "This is the internet.  Call your doctor" for every fart and splinter.  If I called my doctor for things they say 'call your doctor' for, I'm pretty sure they would laugh me out of my city. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • We used to get an entertainment book for free as a gift from Menards. Where we live it doesn't make sense for us but a larger city, well worth it.

I was going through and starting to get tax paperwork ready. This is the first year we've used an IHDC otherwise we pay my mom cash. So I contacted our provider, yeah she doesn't claim it on her taxes. I can't imagine how much she's making tax free. She charges us $27/hr and usually has at least 4-5 kids full days.

• Pokedot said:

We used to get an entertainment book for free as a gift from Menards. Where we live it doesn't make sense for us but a larger city, well worth it.

I was going through and starting to get tax paperwork ready. This is the first year we've used an IHDC otherwise we pay my mom cash. So I contacted our provider, yeah she doesn't claim it on her taxes. I can't imagine how much she's making tax free. She charges us $27/hr and usually has at least 4-5 kids full days.

holy (insert swear word). There is no way I could afford this!! And that's crazy that she isn't claiming any of that-- that's like >$100 an hour when all kids are there. I will move to your town and watch B for half that :)
  • I am essentially making a crockpot of salt for dinner that's supposed to resemble chicken & dumplings.  I'll let you know how it tastes and if I die or not, because it's super easy to make.

3 chicken breasts, 3tbsp butter on top, cream of chicken, chicken broth, onions, parsley.  Then I'm supposed to shred the chicken, then cube pieces of raw grands biscuits and throw them in for an hour. 
    My friend made a version of this and it was yummy but seriously there is a reason it is called comfort food.

• Pokedot said:

We used to get an entertainment book for free as a gift from Menards. Where we live it doesn't make sense for us but a larger city, well worth it.

Woah, coming from someone who spends a lot of $ on daycare, that seems high.  And that sucks, if she doesn't claim it on her taxes, you can't deduct it on yours?  Am I remembering that right?  

We've always used a center, so we deduct it.

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• I am essentially making a crockpot of salt for dinner that's supposed to resemble chicken & dumplings.  I'll let you know how it tastes and if I die or not, because it's super easy to make.

3 chicken breasts, 3tbsp butter on top, cream of chicken, chicken broth, onions, parsley.  Then I'm supposed to shred the chicken, then cube pieces of raw grands biscuits and throw them in for an hour. 
    My friend made a version of this and it was yummy but seriously there is a reason it is called comfort food.
    I make this all the time.  It's unhealthy and completely delicious.
  • @kelbel527‌ We are right next door in the country. So close, but not too close! I'm still so pissed. My H wants to turn the garage door opener off so the dog sitter gets stuck outside tonight. Im going to tell him to just leave and we will keep him at our house until my parents get back. Having 3 Danes in the house is crazy but worth it not having to worry about him. 

@amandad715‌ I never got to say congrats!! And I'm glad you got some sleep! Have we seen a picture yet??
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kelbel527 said:
    Pokedot said:

Woah, coming from someone who spends a lot of $ on daycare, that seems high.  And that sucks, if she doesn't claim it on her taxes, you can't deduct it on yours?  Am I remembering that right?  

We've always used a center, so we deduct it.
    That's my understanding too.  When we had a nanny, she didn't claim it, so we couldn't deduct it.  We agreed on that when we hired her and paid her a little less because it was tax-free money for her.  I wouldn't make that deal at $27 an hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"