September 2014 Moms

Does anyone else stil...

check on their LO's breathing multiple times a night? I thought I'd be over that by now but I still worry. It's bad in the car too. I've never actually pulled over to check on him but sometimes I want to so badly and it's all I think about. I'm pretty chill about everything else but this SIDS thing has me really freaked out :( Has anything besides time and pure faith that your kid won't suddenly stop breathing helped you to ease up??

Re: Does anyone else stil...

• I still check occasionally, especially if she doesn't move an hour after being put down. As for the car, I don't go out with her alone often but when I do, I'm more anxious. A mirror really help though!

• If I wake up, I expect something to happen through the baby monitor.. if it doesn't, I usually go check.. I wish this was less frequent.. but I really do get super anxious if I know I've been awake in the middle of the night for 10 minutes and I haven't heard anything that for me to go back to sleep, I'm going to have to look.

Honestly I feel like it's getting worse not better too. I can't wait until we start hitting that falling off point where we don't have to worry about sids. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. I'm better than I use to, but if I wake up and don't hear her stir, I turn my cell light on until I see her chest move. We've been co-sleeping this week because she has RSV so I've been keeping a hand on her back or chest while she sleeps. Last night I woke up and in my half asleep state didn't feel her chest moving for like half a second, so I flung the light on picked her up, only to realize she had been sleeping soundly and I woke her up so abrasively.
  • pbeckaroo35pbeckaroo35 member
    edited January 2015
    So, my anxiety about this was getting worse so I bought a Snuza. I got seriously flamed by my in laws over the holidays but I don't care. I love it.

Edit-snuza is actually the old name, I got a levana oma+

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I still do. We have a video monitor do I watch to see if he is breathing. If for some reason I can't see his chest going up and down I go in his room and check on him.

In the car I have a mirror which helps. But he has freaked me out when he goes from screaming in the car to complete silence.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm getting better than I was when she was first born, but I still check her multiple times during the night. DH laughed at me one night last week because I got up in the middle of the night and was standing over starting to get worried because I couldn't see her chest rising, and my usual prodding wasn't revoking a response. She, of course, then let out a big sigh that made me feel like I overreacted.

And honestly, this is the biggest reason she's still sleeping in her PnP in our room instead of her crib in her own room. We've agreed that we're moving her to her own room at 5 months, but when I think about waking up and not being able to just look over and check on her, I kind of panic.

I don't worry about her in the car seat like I used to, so I imagine this will pass, too, as she gets older.

• I have a video monitor and when I wake in the night I always look at it and check and if I can't tell I'll go and check and touch his cheek and he always grins or moves then. I do the same if we are at the store and he seems super still I tickle his cheek.
  • Maybe the lack of sleep is just making me cranky, but this sounds like a bragplaint so that you can tell us that your LO is STTN.  No, our twins don't sleep long enough for us to wonder if they're still breathing.

• @dal2aus ha, mine is‌ definitely not sttn! It's when she sleeps longer than 2 hours when I wake up out of the blue and panic for a second.

• pshaortao said:

@dal2aus ha, mine is‌ definitely not sttn! It's when she sleeps longer than 2 hours when I wake up out of the blue and panic for a second.

This! Sleep is so sporadic so I always wake up during the occasional longer stretches.
  • DH & I both still check on DD a lot. Usually I check on her 2-3 times between when she goes to bed and when I do. I am a heavy sleeper, but DH isn't so he gets up anytime he hears something "funny" on the baby monitor, or if it has been a while since DD has made a noise. 

DD has now started turning over in her crib to sleep on her belly. This always makes me heart stop when I find her on her stomach. I always take the risk of waking her up to turn her over because "back is best". Anyone else's LO doing this to them? 

~*~
    Together since 03/27/2007
    Married 07/20/2013

BFP #1 01/18/2014, EDD 09/26/2014, Team Green
    DD born 09/21/2014

image image 
  • DH & I both still check on DD a lot. Usually I check on her 2-3 times between when she goes to bed and when I do. I am a heavy sleeper, but DH isn't so he gets up anytime he hears something "funny" on the baby monitor, or if it has been a while since DD has made a noise. 

DD has now started turning over in her crib to sleep on her belly. This always makes me heart stop when I find her on her stomach. I always take the risk of waking her up to turn her over because "back is best". Anyone else's LO doing this to them? 
    If they can roll themselves over then they can start sleeping on their belly. You should still lay her down on her back, but there is no need to wake her up and move her onto her back if she's rolling on her own.

• pshaortao said:

@dal2aus ha, mine is‌ definitely not sttn! It's when she sleeps longer than 2 hours when I wake up out of the blue and panic for a second.

This totally. Still getting up every 3 hours or so at night.
  • So, my anxiety about this was getting worse so I bought a Snuza. I got seriously flamed by my in laws over the holidays but I don't care. I love it. Edit-snuza is actually the old name, I got a levana oma+
    I didn't have anxiety but it made sense to me to get a movement monitor. Super simple to use. We use it at nights only and have enjoyed the peace of mind. We have the same one as you.  I put the sticky side of velcro on the backside so that it stayed put on the diaper better.
  • @natalie559‌ that's a great idea. The couple times ours has gone off have been because it slid to the side.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DD is 2 and I still check on her..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"