Stay at Home Moms
Options

My heart is breaking for my friend

My friend's 10 year old daughter was admitted to the pych ward of our local hospital today. They believe she has childhood schizophrenia. She has always had some issues, and quite a few disorders diagnosed, but she is such a lovely sweet girl. Her parents are terrified for what lies ahead. The doctors are recommending a special inpatient school after they get her meds right.
What can I do? I'm dropping off dinner tonight. I'm thinking gift cards to the coffee shop in the hospital. And for the little girl, I know she loves monster high stuff but I'm not even sure what she is allowed in her room. So maybe slippers or something? Seriously I can't stop crying. I can't imagine.

Re: My heart is breaking for my friend

• Options
    How heartbreaking. They are lucky to have a friend like you. I have no ideas...but its sweet of you to think of them 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Sending T&Ps for this little girl! Sounds like the family has a good friend in you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    T&Ps for you friend and her daughter. Maybe you could ask what she is allowed to have? Send her a book or puzzle, even a stuffed animal to keep her spirits up. All of your ideas sound wonderful. I'm sure they will really appreciate anything you can do!

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• Options
    I can't imagine what they're going through. Any way you can ask what they might need? Gas cards or money gift cards just to help with extra driving maybe?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, what a difficult situation for a parent, I hope she is able to get some really good help. I just can't imagine what it would be like to go through that with my daughter. I think it's awesome that you want to help and I'm sure you'll come up with something they will really appreciate. Hugs.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Options
    I dropped off dinner tonight, and some fuzzy socks and books for the daughter. The hardest part is that it doesn't seem like she will home anytime soon. Once they get the meds figured out, they are recommending an inpatient residential school. In my friends words, what we think of as an asylum but nicer. She is devastated. Weekends at home won't even be a reality for a long time. To be apart from her daughter when she is at her most vulnerable, I can't imagine. We have another friend whose mother and sister have schizophrenia so I'm sure she has been a great help.
  • Options
    I can't imagine how tough it would be. Let her know that you can't promise to help her fix her problems, but you can promise that she doesn't have to face them alone. Just by being her safe place to fall, as she probably has to put on a strong face in front of her of her daughter. Help her look after her own mental health during this trying time. 
  • Options
    This is so sad T&p!

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"