January 2014 Moms

Coats: how thick is too thick?

I am struggling with this with my daughter.  We just moved her to the forward-facing convertible seat and it is harder to keep her warm with a light jacket or fleece and a blanket and hat.  I wanted to put her coat on her today but it is puffy.

So I ask, how thick is too thick?  I'm sure I can google this and will but curious what you guys are doing.

P.S. Happy birthday January 14 babies!!!
Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
image imageimage

Re: Coats: how thick is too thick?

• Thanks ladies, this is kind of what I thought.  It's not long we have to be outside but this morning it was so COLD I became a paranoid mom for a minute... :)
    image imageimage

• https://thecarseatlady.com/warmandsafe/
    I live in warm weather but I found this to be very informative.
  • Loading the player...
  • I hate taking the coat on and off, so I usually wrap her in a blanket if we aren't going to be out long.  It is quicker than putting a coat on her, but still keeps her warm.  She has a heavy coat for when she is playing outside, but we don't use it in the car seat. 

Also, I plan on keeping DD facing backwards for another year since it is safest even though she doesn't always like it. 
  • Roses87Roses87 member
    edited January 2015
    This website is awesome it is a Facebook page too. It's private but if u request to join they will add u. So informative everything about carseats. They go over jackets too. It's ran by carseat tech. It's carseatforlittles.coM
    my LO doesn't were a jacket in the seat just her clothes for that day. I put her jacket on and off when we get in and out of the car. I am in Michigan too. It's a pain, but it is what it is. I am use to it.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• The thickest we've done is a thinly lined Patagonia jacket with a fuzzy exterior. The straps are still reasonably tight when I take it off and put her back in without the jacket. I tried putting her in a thin fleece snowsuit type thing and checking it out and it was waaaaaaaay too much material when you factor in the material covering her legs. When i took it off, it was ridiculous how loose the straps were.

So, I'd say test out the jacket or coat first in the car seat and then take it off and see how loose the straps are. There really shouldn't be much extra slack at all. 
  • I appreciate the guidance around rear facing.  Everything I read said 2 but we had some issues once we switched to the convertible (she really doesn't fit in the infant seat anymore).  So, a couple of questions...

For those of you who have convertibles, does LO's feet not hit the back of the seat?

The one we ordered said in the manual to put her forward facing due to her weight.  I am going to double check with the pedi at her one year appointment tomorrow.  Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks ladies.
    image imageimage

• Roses87Roses87 member
    edited January 2015
    What cat seat did u get? What the rear face limits and what is her current weight and height?

Everything @itsmeally‌ great info!
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

• And BTW, I haven't put her in her coat but that is probably safer than having it FF!
    image imageimage

• amt0312amt0312 member
    edited January 2015
    The Britax Roundabout should definitely be able to rear face for a super long time. I think manuals tell you that you can forward face when they reach a certain height/age/weight or whatever it is, but that's just when you can, but you definitely don't have to. 

edit: what @esd says
  • Y'all are awesome!!!  I knew the rule about 2 years, I knew it, and the car seat manual got me confused.  Thanks so much!
    image imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"