September 2012 Moms

Maternity Jeans to Regular Jeans.

I have searched Pinterest and Google up and down and just cannot find what I need. I have 2 pair of maternity skinny jeans that I absolutely love and still try to wear but they're really uncomfortable with the band and they constant fall down. Has anyone ever turned maternity jeans into regular jeans? Is there a relatively simple way to do it?

Anniversary
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Maternity Jeans to Regular Jeans.

• My Mom tried to do it with a pair of my capris.  She ended up destroying them.  Can you just fold the band down?  That's what I did with the capris I like so much.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• @MarisaKathleen‌ I've tried that and they just end up rolling down and falling down and just very uncomfortable.

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • I don't have any advice, the panel is my favorite part and all of my maternity jeans get a hole in the crotch by week 35.  I will never have this problem!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • do you have a seamstress in the area that you could take them to?  it seems like there should be a way to do this.
    my read shelf:
    Sara (smb+jab)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)  

BFP 8/23/11 natural m/c 9/7/11 @ 6w BFP 1/16/2012 C-section 9/16/2012 Health baby boy!
  • is the panel only in the front, or is it all the way around like yoga pants would be?? It seems like you *should* be able to trim the panel down--you'd have to disassemble them a bit-- and then sew it back on? I can't really type out what I am envisioning-- I hope that makes sense!
  • pharmer78pharmer78 member
    edited January 2015
    I don't have any advice, the panel is my favorite part and all of my maternity jeans get a hole in the crotch by week 35.  I will never have this problem!
    Are you sure you'd be considered "virgin" status?

Edit: in reference to the Bachelorette thread...because that statement alone is too weird.

• I've never tried, and there might be a way.  But here's my seamstress-instinct response:

Eeek, I don't think this would work well to truly take them to "normal" jeans.  You'd have to attach a new waistband, fitted to the jeans, to give yourself some way of closing the jeans and keeping them up.  Currently the stretchy band is doing the job of the waistband, button, and zip, so you'd need to replace that.  This would probably mean creating a denim panel and waistband (that's some seriously advanced tailoring in the works), then installing a button and zipper (at least intermediate-level sewing there).  And that's a job probably more intense than the jeans are really worth.

If you want a panel at the top but want it tighter so it stays up, you could try to either:

a) replace the panel altogether, with either a less stretchy stretch fabric in the same width as the current panel or with a narrower panel in a similar fabric.  If you have a pair of leggings or yoga pants whose waistband fits and you're willing to sacrifice, you could try to swap the panels. 

b) take in the current panel with a straight dart--that is, fold a triangle of fabric, at the center back, with the widest part of the triangle at the top, and stitch it in place. https://www.coletterie.com/tutorials-tips-tricks/tutorial-sewing-darts   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"