September 2012 Moms

Guys, I need sleep help.

I'd post this on my BMB, but we are all in the throes of it, and Hannah was a good sleeper, so I have no experience with this.

Ben STTN at 3 months for 12 hours straight, it lasted 3 weeks and he's done it a handful of times since.

He wakes at least 1-2x per night, and the wakings are getting earlier and earlier.

I tried the moms on call approach of pushing back feedings by checking/soothing every 5 minutes, and feeding him if he's still fussing after the third check. No luck.

We went on vacation, and for 3 nights he slept 7pm-5am, but he stopped as soon as we got back.

Out of desperation last night I attempted CIO with checks at 1-3-5 and he was just infuriated.

Once he's upset, he will not go down without a bottle.

I'm fucking tired. Help.

Re: Guys, I need sleep help.

• Man, I'm sorry you're going through this. Briar was/is the same way-- I think they aren't too far apart in age? (7mo) Shes still hit or miss-- I would say half the week she sttn and the other half she wakes once. The big turning point for us was giving her a bit of oatmeal before bed. I make like 1/6 cup and add in some mashed bananas or whatever fruit we have on hand. We've added another meal during the day, and I think her nights tend to be better on days that she eats more. Have you started solids of any kind yet? I hope you find a solution soon! I feel for you :(
  • We started him on solids a few weeks ago, and he's had rice cereal in his bottles (per his pedi) since about 3 months. He has horrible reflux and would spit up half his feedings.

He's a big boy, so I know he doesn't necessarily need a MOTN feeding, but a bottle is the only thing that will soothe him.

I didn't sleep for most of my pregnancy, so it's basically been a year since I've consistently slept well.

Kill me now.

• Loading the player...
  • DD2 is the same age (6months) we did CIO with full extinction just after Christmas, it sucked but was the best thing we've ever done. We went from 30 minutes of sleep at a time to a max of 2 wake ups a night. Honestly I call that a win if she wasnt BF we would be doing CIO for those wake ups as well, we also moved her bed time up to 7:30.

I know none of that is helpful, but I'm in it with you... 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had to do CIO full extinction when I had had enough. Checking in only pissed her off more. I BFd until a year though so she was still up once or twice a night for a long time. Sorry you are dealing with a non-sleeper. It is no fun at all.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • I would continue with the timed interval approach for a couple more days bc one day isn't really long enough for him to adjust.

I agree though that extinction method may suit the situation better if you don't see any progress after a few days.

Does he still have reflux? Is his mattress on an incline?

GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• If he slept well on vacation (and before you moved?) could it be something situational in his room?  Like is there a vent blowing on him in his crib? Or a draft?

• Babies are so weird.

I'm sorry you're still not sleeping.  I know it'll suck for you, but I think keeping consistent with the CIO and maybe going for the full extinction might be worth trying.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• @BPer I admit to quickly skimming your post, but  have you tried things like:

swaddle sacks or Halo sacks?

turning the heat up a bit in his room?

sound machine?

making the room really dark (if it's not already)?

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I haven't read all the responses but when we sleep trained B we did the Ferber method. I knew if we checked in on him he would ramp himself up again. If you're comfortable with it I'd try it. You might shed a few tears (I know I did) but the first night was by far the worst. It was 40 minutes, the second night I think 25 and the third 3 minutes. He's slept through the night since 6 months old.

• danabsd said:
    If he slept well on vacation (and before you moved?) could it be something situational in his room?  Like is there a vent blowing on him in his crib? Or a draft?
    No vent.  His room stays at 72 pretty consistently which seems to suit him, but I noticed his hands were freezing when I would go in his room.  I tried the pjs with the mittens that are part of the sleeves, but those just infuriated him, plus he seems to like sucking on his fists.

• Eastie156 said:

@BPer I admit to quickly skimming your post, but  have you tried things like:

swaddle sacks or Halo sacks?

turning the heat up a bit in his room?

sound machine?

making the room really dark (if it's not already)?

We swaddled until he could roll, used a magic sleep suit for about 2 months with no improvement.  He outgrew it, and I didn't see the point in ordering the next size up.

We have a white noise machine that's on all night, and his room is pitch black, aside from a small light on the noise machine, but whether that is on or off doesn't seem to make a difference to him.

• bosha711 said:
    I would continue with the timed interval approach for a couple more days bc one day isn't really long enough for him to adjust. I agree though that extinction method may suit the situation better if you don't see any progress after a few days. Does he still have reflux? Is his mattress on an incline? GL!
    He does still have reflux, we had a very thin  infant memory foam pillow under his sheet to prop him up a bit, but that didn't seem to help either.

• We had to do CIO full extinction when I had had enough. Checking in only pissed her off more. I BFd until a year though so she was still up once or twice a night for a long time. Sorry you are dealing with a non-sleeper. It is no fun at all.
    I'm nervous I won't be able to go through with full extinction.

Plus, his room is right across the room from Hannah, who has her own sleep issues as of late.

Ahem, she was up 15-20 times last night between 11pm-6am. fuck.

• BPer said:
    bosha711 said:
    I would continue with the timed interval approach for a couple more days bc one day isn't really long enough for him to adjust. I agree though that extinction method may suit the situation better if you don't see any progress after a few days. Does he still have reflux? Is his mattress on an incline? GL!
    He does still have reflux, we had a very thin  infant memory foam pillow under his sheet to prop him up a bit, but that didn't seem to help either.
    What about a crib wedge from BRU? When we transition Abby to her crib, I plan to get one. She's sleeping in her swing now because of reflux issues.

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

• How does he nap?

• Sorry dude, I wish I had some advice!  I don't even remember what we did with W but she was a pretty good sleeper.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"