Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

How to encourage crawling?

My LO gets frustrated when a toy is out of reach so she will reach for it, roll over and get frustrated that she can't get to it. Any tips to help her out besides my husband crawling around haha
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: How to encourage crawling?

• Options
    If your LO is bigger or heavier than other kids of the same age it might be more challenging for the baby to crawl and I don't think you should force that.

Babies develop muscles necessary for crawling (shoulders, torso, back) by playing on their tummy. Make sure to give LO plenty of tummy time. 

Also, when the baby is on all fours place the palms of your hands behind the child's feet. It will give them something to push off.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    We did the out of reach and our LO hated it but it took about a week until she got angry enough to just push off the floor, then push and reach, then head scoot, the half crawl to shaky crawl now we can't keep up with her. Yes they will be very very mad. But just wait longer and longer to step in. They figure out an alternative quickly. If your baby is a bit fluffier then average, we had our LO strengthen her arms by pulling herself from lying to sitting on our laps about a million times. We also stood her a lot to get her legs strong. When she strengthened herself plus the motivation she got it figured out within 6 weeks. If a toy doesn't motivate try the bottle, binky, or finger foods.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We did the out of reach and our LO hated it but it took about a week until she got angry enough to just push off the floor, then push and reach, then head scoot, the half crawl to shaky crawl now we can't keep up with her. Yes they will be very very mad. But just wait longer and longer to step in. They figure out an alternative quickly. If your baby is a bit fluffier then average, we had our LO strengthen her arms by pulling herself from lying to sitting on our laps about a million times. We also stood her a lot to get her legs strong. When she strengthened herself plus the motivation she got it figured out within 6 weeks. If a toy doesn't motivate try the bottle, binky, or finger foods.

Thank you! Why didn't I think of using her bottle to help motivate!! Will definately be trying that this weekend. Thank you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Hope it helped! It seems mean but it's about knowing your LO. I thankfully had 6 people on board everyday to make sure she was pushed by everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"