September 2012 Moms

Best Apps for LO?

I just downloaded the Endless Numbers because of another thread - awesome! 

Wondering what other apps are favorites. 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green

Re: Best Apps for LO?

• W loves:

1. Buzzle - Free, it's an awesome shape placement game.  It was a pain at first because the advertisements on the free version, but she learned how to avoid them and 'x' out of them within a week so I haven't bothered to pay for the ad-free version.

2. Monsters by Sago Mini - Free, and she LOVES it.  Not educational really, unless you consider having to brush the monster's teeth after feeding them candy educational.

3.  FishLand - Free, just a dumb game she likes where you swim a fish around

4.  Mickey Mouse Road Rally - long and really fun, it's like she gets to interact with a regular episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.   I think it's called Disney Junior Appisodes, and the Mickey one is the free one?

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • All these app questions has me thinking. B never plays with our iPad or my iPhone. How often do your LO's play games on your devices?

• Loading the player...
  • @tinyhumantoe if you don't already have it, Endless Reader is awesome too. I think they have an alphabet one also, but we don't have that one. Any of the Tiny Hands apps are great too.. I think we have like 12 of them, and I'd recommend them all! Jasper especially likes the Sorting ones
  • @tyrannasaurusjess

I downloaded Endless Reader and Endless 123 seemingly free.  I am going to let her play them and see if they are really free.  Endless Alphabet seems to be $6.99, but the bundle of the alphabet, reader, and numbers is $29.99.  I don't want to buy any of them until I figure out if the first two are free (so I know whether to buy the bundle or not).  Do you know if the first two are really free?

• Oh, we do have TinyHands Towers, she really loves that.

• @tyrannasaurusjess

I downloaded Endless Reader and Endless 123 seemingly free.  I am going to let her play them and see if they are really free.  Endless Alphabet seems to be $6.99, but the bundle of the alphabet, reader, and numbers is $29.99.  I don't want to buy any of them until I figure out if the first two are free (so I know whether to buy the bundle or not).  Do you know if the first two are really free?
    You get a lite version for free. I think with 123 you get the first 5 numbers for free, and then you can buy them in groups (1-25, 26-50 etc for like $7 each) or get them whole thing 1-100 for... is it $13?? If you decide that W likes it, I'd definitely buy the whole thing. Reader is the same deal--- you get like 6 words for free, and then you can buy each level for X amount of dollars. We bought the school version (all 3 levels) which was $25 and I was nervous, because that seemed like a lot for an app, but honestly I would have paid $50 for it. Jasper has learned so much from it--- letter sounds, sight words, even some spelling (which I'm sure is just memorization at this point, but still!) If you can get all 3 apps in their full versions for $30 I'd say definitely do it! 
  • Pokedot said:
    All these app questions has me thinking. B never plays with our iPad or my iPhone. How often do your LO's play games on your devices?
    I was pretty anti-ipad until I saw W do some educational apps.  If you want your mind to explode at how smart he is, you should let him try.  W was so fast and proficient at Buzzle within 2 minutes. 

We let W play a game or few sometimes every night, sometimes we'll go a couple days in between.  It's awesome that I have them on the ipad and my iphone, because when I'm grocery shopping and we're not going to make it to the checkout, I let her play one. 

I would much rather her be playing with an app than watching TV, though we do a mix of the two.  When it gets nice out, we're outside from the time we get home until bedtime so the TV and ipad are all off.

• Pokedot said:
    All these app questions has me thinking. B never plays with our iPad or my iPhone. How often do your LO's play games on your devices?
    @pokedot - pretty much never.  Aedan still smacks the iPad and really has no idea what to do with it.  For whatever reason he has 0 interest, compared to his brother.  I'm pretty sure Brody was a pro at Angry birds by 2.  (His guilty pleasure).

So, all of our apps are more for older kids because Aedan hasn't really started playing them.

Monkey Math is a good learning game for when the kids are a little older.  It works on patterns and simple math equations.  The part I like about it (and his teacher uses it as well) is that it grows with him.  As he gets better at things, it makes it a bit more challenging.  Instead of giving him the same problems over and over.  For those working on number recognition - this might be a good starting game.

We also have an Innotab which is where most of our learning games are on.  Brody got a Ninja Turtle one for Christmas that is teaching him about syllables.  I'm always impressed when he's in the middle of the game and stops to clap out a word to count the syllables.  

Big Kid Jan 2010

Littlest Man Sept 2012

• Number Flashcards is really the only one he plays on my phone, I very rarely hand over my phone to him. It has just regular Flashcards, and 2 quiz games - one where they say the number and he has to pick it out (recognition) and the second where he has to count the objects and then find the number (this one is still too hard for him to do by himself so it defeats the purpose of handing over my phone).

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Pokedot said:

Probably more than most kids here. I'd say he uses it somewhere between a half hour and hour most days, total throughout the day. He is crabby in the mornings and needs alone time, so we usually hand it over to him to acclimate him into the day. If we have a car trip, it's a lot more. I was originally one of the parents who said my kid would NEVER play with and ipad, but it's astonishing to see what he can do and has learned.
  • Pokedot said:
    DH is an IT guy. He bought a new tablet in November so L got his old one. Between all the technology in our house, L figure out how to use it pretty quickly. She has limits on that just like TV so I am not so worried about it. She gets to pick tablet or TV on nights when we have time. 

We have a bunch of books and apps downloaded for her. DH bought Endless Alphabet, totally worth it. She has some Mermaid game that has her choose opposites, colors, shapes, numbers, etc. She is surprisingly good at it.

Then we have some mostly entertainment ones, bubble pops, driving games (the app drives, she picks up things along the way). I will look at my faves when I get home tonight and post.

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • We let Nancy play on my Kindle from 630-7 right before bed to get her to chill out and sit down.  She loves Endless Alphabet, Preschool All-In-One Basis Skills: Learning Adventure A-Z, and a Team Umizoomi game.

I opened the Amazon app store and there's like 0 of these ones you guys have recommended that are available for the Kindle.  Boo.

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• We haven't done iPad with E, but I really like the Sesame Street breathe, think, do app for preschool problem solving.

(The Elmo belly breathe song is also a hit. It's on YouTube.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The biggest hits in our house are the Daniel Tiger apps by pbskids, Monkey PreSchool LunchBox, and the Tiggly apps (we got the prices for Christmas).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas for the kids to share.

I'd rec Ocean Swimmer by Sago Mini. It's so cute. DD loves it. You drag around a fish & he encounters different things under the water.

She also likes a drawing app called Picasso.

Those are the only 2 I know the names of off the top of my head.

Thanks for all the other recs. I need to check some of them out!

• BobKat22 said:
    We have a few ABC Mouse apps. I like how educational they are. They aren't DD's fav. Remember the Talking Tom app from back in the day? She loves it. She feeds him, makes, makes him potty, and puts him to bed. There are a few puzzle ones she will use. She's kinda over apps at the moment and becoming a YouTube freak. We started YouTube when we discovered Mother Goose Club nurses rhyme videos. Now she clicks the related videos that pop up on the side. Some how she always ends up on cartoons in another language. She'll watch them forever. Or those stupid videos where they open egg after egg. What is that about?
    Traycen does this too!! I heard it and thought... what in the hell? Yep, Mickey Mouse in French. 

• bosha711 said:
    We just got a Kindle Fire for Christmas for the kids to share.

I'd rec Ocean Swimmer by Sago Mini. It's so cute. DD loves it. You drag around a fish & he encounters different things under the water.

She also likes a drawing app called Picasso.

Those are the only 2 I know the names of off the top of my head.

Thanks for all the other recs. I need to check some of them out!
    i second the ocean swimming one. they also have a dog in space version. my kid requests those two the most. 

monsters is also good, but she can't brush the monster's teeth by herself yet so it's more a group activity.

no new suggestions, but i definitely just downloaded a bunch to try. thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"