June 2014 Moms
Options

***Born to Run JuneBugs 1/12***

babygabe614babygabe614 member
edited January 2015 in June 2014 Moms
This is a weekly thread for runners who were due June 2014, that is posted on Mondays. All who run--or who want to start running--are welcome, regardless of mileage, pace, ability, size, shape, or terrestrial status. We had this thread during pregnancy, now it's time to lose that baby weight. 

How were your runs and workouts this week? 

What are your plans for health/fitness this week?

GTKY: What's your favorite non-running exercise? What's a new exercise you want to try this year?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: ***Born to Run JuneBugs 1/12***

• Options
    edited January 2015
    How were your runs and workouts this week? Great! Got to the gym 4 times and 1 run. Probably my best week so far.

What are your plans for health/fitness this week? Hoping to hit every workout this week. 4 gym sessions and 2 runs.

GTKY: What's your favorite non-running exercise? What's a new exercise you want to try this year? Favorite non-running exercise: I just love lifting things up and putting them down, haha. Upright rows, deadlifts, etc. I love pushing myself and my strength. Kayaking is a close second. This year I'd like to take a kettlebell class to work on my skills with the KB. 

• Options
    @CharSamm We started swim lessons this past Saturday! I hope your LO loves it (mine was unsure about the water at first but she got used to it by the end, haha!) Also I have heard great things about BodyCombat. I want to try that!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

ok- got in two stroller runs (very short) and a few walks. But - I got a gym membership for my birthday to a really nice gym which I am super excited about (and they have a daycare!). I can't wait to start going to some classes there and hopefully use the pool. The fact that they have a daycare should help a lot since most of my problem right now is not having child care when I want to go out for a longer run without the stroller. I did hear it fills up really fast though and you have to call ahead (plus it costs $ every time - boo) so hopefully that won't be too much of a problem.

Go to the gym and sign up. Get out walking/running on days where it is not too cold to take the stroller.
    GTKY: What's your favorite non-running exercise? What's a new exercise you want to try this year?

I don't know if this counts but before I got pregnant I was really into triathlons. I saw the gym I am going to join has a tri swim class that I would really love to take. I also love going to group fitness classes so I am looking foward to doing more of that this year.

@CharSamm - we start lessons this week too - can't wait!! Also I LOVE body combat!! My mom's gym does all the Les Mils classes and I have gone to this one with her a lot - its so fun and I always feel like I get a great workout!!

• Options
    @frenchchocolate611 A triathlon is on my bucket list... what distances have you done? I am thinking about doing a sprint distance next summer with the ultimate goal of completing a half ironman hopefully the following year. 

• Options
    My Runs: I got in 4 runs, total of 12 miles, and a lifting session.  My endurance right now sucks. I'm thinking its because of the sugar free diet thing and I'm not getting enough carbs or something.

Plan:  Getting up to 7 miles on Saturday. I'm nervous!! We plan to run/work out 2 other times this week.

GTKY: I'm liking lifting these days,  I used to love doing yoga but I don't make time for it.  Its hard to be all zen when theres about a billion other things I could be doing.

Also: Triathalon moms: you are awesome. I can't even imagine.
  • Options
    Great.  I worked out 5 days with 3 runs, 2 soccer games, and 3 strength workouts.  Today is a rest day so I will do some stretching.  DH bought himself a spin bike and that is being delivered on Friday and I'm stoked about it.  It will be a nice alternative when the weather is crappy like it is now!

The same as last week!

I'd like to try that new Orange Theory class.  It's a mix of treadmill, rowing and weights.  

Something I've been struggling with is getting in the exercise without feeling guilty.  I stay at home with Julia but that doesn't mean I can work out during the day when DH is at work.  During her naps I eat breakfast and lunch and do all the other things that are my responsibility (clean, laundry, etc).  Julia goes to bed at 7 and that's when we eat dinner so it would be at least 8 by the time I can workout and then I'm too tired.  Plus I have to go to bed at 9:30 at the latest to get up with her since she is an early riser. I went to the gym last week when DH got home and it was great, but I couldn't help from feeling guilty to leave him at home after he worked a full day as well.  I feel the same way on the weekends and I'm out doing things like having lunch with friends, etc.  Does anyone else feel this way?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Triathlons are so much fun!  I did a sprint last year like 2 days after I got a positive pregnancy test..It was much harder than I thought it would be but it's my new summer addiction I think!  

• Options
    @frenchchocolate611 A triathlon is on my bucket list... what distances have you done? I am thinking about doing a sprint distance next summer with the ultimate goal of completing a half ironman hopefully the following year. 
    I have done sprint and olympic so nothing too crazy. I would LOVE to do a half ironman  and someday maybe even a full - but i just have no idea how i would find the time to train!! They are so fun though!

• Options
    @frenchchocolate611 I am going to be picking your brain when the time comes for me to bite the bullet and sign up for one. There's so many logistics that I find overwhelming just thinking about (ahem... transition). And I have no idea where to start as far as shopping for a kit...

@kinipela7 I meant to answer your question earlier - regarding the guilt, may I ask if your DH makes time to work out or do something else for himself also? My husband has a gym at his work and (lucky him) gets to work out during the day, but that is still time he takes to do something for himself, so I don't feel bad if he watches LO for an hour or two while I run or go to the gym because I feel we both deserve to take that time to better ourselves. It is SO important to me to raise LO to be strong and to take care of her body - which means I need to lead by example! Don't beat yourself up over this - you are making yourself a better mother by taking the time to take care of yourself. And I know personally, I am a better wife when I am in a good workout routine. I'm less stressed and feel better about myself, which works out for DH since I'm more apt to DTD if I think my body looks good, ha! ;)

• Options
    Sounds good @babygabe614 :) I am by no means an expert, but I can let you know what has worked well for me! One thing I would say for now is don't sign up for one with an ocean swim as your first if you can help it! My second one was in the ocean and I HATED it. Even though I live on the coast, I will probably stick to lakes/ponds/etc from now on!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    @frenchchocolate611 I live right on the Delaware river which has quite a current to it, but there are also some man-made lakes in the area that would likely be a better intro for me. I just don't want to do any of these "indoor" triathlons I've been seeing where they do the swim part in a pool. Just doesn't seem challenging enough, and also, part of why I love racing is experiencing the place i'm racing in from a unique vantage point. The thrill is kind of lost if you're just swimming back and forth in a pool. I've done a good amount of open water swimming in my lifetime (used to swim competitively back in my heyday ;)) but doing it in a current is tough no matter how many times you've done it! 

• Options
    edited January 2015
    @babygabe614 - I agree! I don't even know of any indoor ones near where I live (NH). But the current and the waves in the ocean were just too much - I was not a fan (plus they started the women first and the men only a couple of minutes later and they completely overtook us - it was scary!). My favorite tri that I have done so far is in Maine and the swimming is in a large-ish pond which has been perfect for me!

• Options
    @babygabe614 - DH only works out in the Spring/Summer so when he starts again, that will make me feel better!  He does his computer games but does them at night when she goes to bed.  Every once in awhile, he goes out with friends but its not that often.  He never complains and I know he enjoys watching her, but I can't shake the guilty thing which is so annoying to me!  He is even watching her overnight while I go run a race at the beach!

• Options
    ugh, non-existent!  i was away for work and spent all free time pumping.  no time for working out.
    i am hoping to get back on track. i am battling a cold but dont want to use that as an excuse.  i am also trying to eat better this week and tackle the last bit of weight i have to lose...
    GTKY: What's your favorite non-running exercise? What's a new exercise you want to try this year? i love lifting!  but my favorite is surfing. i love to get out in the water.  a new activity would also be triatalons.  i have always wanted to do one too!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lola4411‌ how did the pumping and being away go?
  • Options
    @sjdihle i am pretty glad it is over!  i felt like i was pumping all the time.  its amazing how much more efficient the babies are than the pump haha.  when is your trip?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lola4411 I was supposed to do one in March, but because of how spring break ends up this year I won't have to go until probably July...  Hoping anyway.
  • Options
    @sjdihle ugh july would be much better!  depending on how long you breastfeed, july is clearly the better option. fingers crossed for you.  either way, you will get through it fine :)

hats off to the ladies who exclusively pump!!

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"