Parenting after 35
Options

Nipple pain (one side) Exclusively breastfeeding. HELP!!! OUCH!!!

Hi ladies! I posted this question in the Breastfeeding forum but no one has responded so I thought I would try here as well. My baby is almost 5 months old. About a week ago I started having pain in my right nipple. It's super tender and hurts to the touch. Like even when my shirt or bra rubs against it, It had gone away after a few days but now seems to be back with a vengeance. When my daughter first latches on it hurts SO much and for the first few minutes I just want to cry. It usually settles down a little once she gets going. It's only my right nipple and it doesn't look any different than my left. Maybe a little pinker but if at all, barely. It is increasingly more sore today. Any thoughts as to what it could be or similar experiences? Also who would I go see? My ob or lactation?

Re: Nipple pain (one side) Exclusively breastfeeding. HELP!!! OUCH!!!

• Options
    edited January 2015
    I would say see a LC. It might be a 'mechanical' issue, something in how te LO nurses on that side. Did you notice anything like that?
    I have this issue with this LO. She is a lot rougher on my right boob than on the other. Weirdly enough, that's also my stronger producing side. It started right at the hospital when she was born. At that time the LC showed me a cross body hold which positioned her slightly different and took care of that.
    Lately she's been doing sone weird stuff on the right side again and the pain came back. But now she's too big and too heavy to hold in that way they showed me. So I met with the LC again and she watched us and told me to cut her off as soon as she started her funny business (usually 10 min mark) and switch to the other and then once done, to come back to the first side.
    That technique has taken care of if for me.

But I'd say see an LC and see what they say. Don't assume it's some infection right away. When I saw the LC recently, one of the first things she said was 'oh it might be thrush etc' and I stopped her right there because I knew if I had it, I'd have it in both sides... My gut told me it was a more mechanical issue.
  • Options
    I agree see your LC unless you show other signs of infection. If you suspect it's an infection though I would see your dr so you can take care of it ASAP.

The feeling you are describing I had with my daughter on both sides and unfortunately it never got any better and I ended up exclusively pumping. The LC said she just had an extremely intense latch. So I agree it might be a latch issue.

Sorry you are experiencing this, I hope you figure it out!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree it could be latch issues, but you could also have a "bleb."  https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/  
    I came down with mastitis when my son was a few months old.  I was put on antibiotics and that did the trick but then I had this bleb form and man of lamancha I thought I was going to jump out of my skin when he would first start to latch on.  It did get better but it took longer than I thought or hoped that it would.  I didn't have thrush, nor did he it was just a bleb.  Good Luck. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"