Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Teething molars, help!!!

DD (14 months) is teething, I think she's getting a bottom molar on each side. The past 5 nights have been hell. She fights and cries at bedtime and it takes forever for her to fall asleep, and then she wakes up somewhere between midnight to 2am, and is up for hours, screaming and inconsolable. When she wakes up, I nurse her, but the second I stop feeding her, she's back to screaming. I think if I fed her all night long, she would be content, but I can't sleep nursing her anymore....it's uncomfortable, and in the night, with the teething, it kind of hurts and feels like she's chomping. We've been doing Motrin. I've tried her cold teethers but she pushes them away and won't chew on them. Last night I tried baby Orajel. Ideas, please! I work FT and I've got to get some sleep by Monday...

Re: Teething molars, help!!!

• Options
    I've heard that about the orajel too and I hardly ever use it, but I was desperate last night. Our pedi said that only happens when parents use way too much, and I only used a small dab. I'll try alternating Tylenol and Motrin tonight.
  • Options
    Does your LO use a pacifier? Sometimes offering a different one helped during teething for us. We used Tylenol 30 min. before bedtime so that if he woke up in the middle of the night he could have another dose. We snuggled through some hard nights and brought some of his favorite things like his burp cloth or glow worm to bed when we were trying to get him settled back down. Just know that it will pass and eventually you both will be getting sleep again!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are you sure it's teething and not an ear infection or something else? I really don't think either of my kids reacted that strongly to teething at any point. They would be whiny and easy to cry but never inconsolable. The only times mine haven't slept at night and been inconsolable it was an ear infection.

Five nights in a row and I'd be calling the doctor.
  • Options
    @ashiscute Yeah, I will call the Dr on Monday, I thought about ear infection. But I can now feel the molar on one side poking through, and now she's chewing on her finger on the other side now. The weird thing is, she's totally fine during the day, she only cries and is fussy at night.
  • Options
    jessicat2inWAjessicat2inWA member
    edited January 2015
    kujess1 said:
    @ashiscute Yeah, I will call the Dr on Monday, I thought about ear infection. But I can now feel the molar on one side poking through, and now she's chewing on her finger on the other side now. The weird thing is, she's totally fine during the day, she only cries and is fussy at night.

DD is doing exactly this.  It's been a week and I just finally tricked her into letting me see in there and she now has one bottom molar through and one more top tooth.  The other molar is bulging and super painful looking and the other top tooth is also ready to cut any day.  When they get a bunch at the same time it feels like forever!  We were up from 3-5am this morning.  No help just commiseration here.  Remember this too shall pass...and then it will be something else hah!

ETA - I think they get more fussy at night because there is nothing around to distract them from the pain.

• Options
    My first daughter probably used up her weight in Motrin and Orajel (before it came out as bad for them?). So when my 2nd daughter was working on her first set of teeth while my 1st daughter was working on molars, my husband was out of town for 2 weeks, and I was just crying between 2 kids rooms in the middle of the night. I ordered an amber teething necklace and paid full price for it even. I just about never had to look in my 2nd daughter's mouth again for teeth I just remember thinking when brushing her teeth at 2, "Huh? When did you get those molars?" My 3rd daughter wears the necklace too. And teething has been pretty easy on her too. I used to think they were voodoo baloney and then I tried them on my kids and I['m a believer. I bought the Inspired by Finn brand right from them, but now I buy from my friend's online store that lets me do local pick up around me.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • Options
    Try the Hyland teething tablets. They are little tiny miracles.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"