August 2012 Moms
Options

Learning ABCs

Has anyone found any good ABC learning toys or books? Jeffrey is great with counting but hasn't shown much interest in learning his ABCs and so far only seems to know the letter "j". I am always singing the ABC song and I have heard him sing it a couple of times up to the letter G but that is it. I feel bad because with a newborn, I don't have the time or energy to really work on it with him these days!

Re: Learning ABCs

• Options
    If you have an iPad that he plays on, download the Talking ABCs app. It has all the letters with a corresponding animal. When you touch the letter, it turns into an animated claymation animal. My son LOVES it. He learned his ABCs at just over a year old using that app
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!!

@sassypantzz‌ -my friend has 2 kids - one knew abc's by 18 months and the other not until he turned 4 so I guess everyone learns at their own pace! But I know what you mean - I feel like Jeffrey is behind and I am slacking off in teaching him!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Evie is great with counting and can recite the alphabet, but really has a hard time remembering letters. Everything is "H for hockey." It's all she can remember.
  • Options
    Msbean22 said:

Evie is great with counting and can recite the alphabet, but really has a hard time remembering letters. Everything is "H for hockey." It's all she can remember.

Lol, I can relate! Besides J, everything else is "d" for the dolphin that dunks the ball (from our abc book)
  • Options
    This is one thing my girl does that's not behind schedule. She knows them all, I didn't even know until one day she was pointing out letters. I can take no credit. You tube taught her.

Leap frog videos are good too.

An app that both my girls like is Teach Me: Toddler it has a picture of a mouse. It is very simple but does a good job of showing and telling the letter and numbers.
    victoria5month samantha5
  • Options

I'm not big on letting DD play with apps on my phone or watch TV.  She watched about 1 hour of TV a week (usually Baby Signing Time, the regular Signing Time, or Doc McStuffins).  It's mostly becasue I work full time and want to use our family time for family stuff.

She knows what letters are, in the sence that she'll say "there are letters on the truck" or "abcs on my shirt".  But doesn't really know which letters are which.  She can sing the entire ABCs on her own, although sometimes the L-M-N-O is all slurred together like kids do!  She sometimes identifies letters correctly, but that's mostly the letters in her name.  Although she's not always correct.

We read A LOT, and she'll even pretent to read to her baby doll and stuffed animals. 

I recently got her some toys that I think will help with letter recognition ...  they were christmas gifts ... we'll see if they help ...

She's had some cheap dollar store foam letters for a while that she likes to use to make "abc soup" in her play kitchen.  Those foam letters are everywhere now!  LOL!

I keep meaning to check out alphabet activiteis on the blog "no time for flashcards" ... but I haven't gotten around to it yet. 

Like PPs mentioned ... they're only 2.5 ... a lot of these things will be expected for kindergarden ... but there's still time before that!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    thanks for the suggestions @Toni79!  Great ideas -I will check out the links too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"