Stay at Home Moms

Aloha y'all

DH and I are taking a belated honeymoon to Oahu next Friday. This is the first time we have ever a.) been to Hawaii and b.) taken a vacation without children or other people.  For those of you who have been (or have a secret dream vacation planned), any suggestions on activities? 

C 1/25/09
H 2/8/14

Re: Aloha y'all

• That's awesome, congrats on your honeymoon! We've never had one either. I can't tell you about Oahu specifically but when I was on the big island I got in and swam with the sea turtles, it was amazing!
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
  • edited January 2015
    Where are you staying?
    Edit: and are you renting a car?
  • Loading the player...
  • We're staying at Disney's Aulani Resort and we are renting a car.

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• I'm not sure where the resort is on the island...we honeymooned in Wakiki in 2011 and stayed at The Royal Hawaiian (aka The Pink Princess). We checked out the Dole Plantation, Pearl Harbor, Shark's Cove, and The Polynesian Cultural Center. If you guys like hamburgers, definitely go to Teddy's Big Boy Burgers. There is a market on Thursday nights, I believe, in downtown that was cool to check out, and all the hotels around there welcome everyone in. Each hotel has their our Happy Hour menu, so we would hit two each night to check them out. Duke's in The Outrigger was really good and came highly recommended from a friend who lives on Maui. I believe it's the Moana Lai hotel that has big rocking chairs on its front porch. It was fun to just sit and people watch. There is also a zoo, which we didn't go to, but it's there. I'm sure there will be plenty to do at your resort as well. Have fun and safe travels!
  • I think we will definitely do the Dole Plantation and Pearl Harbor. We're also going to do some trails and try snorkeling. 
    Thank you for your suggestions! The market sounds like it could be fun to walk around. I love that sort of thing, DH prefers a little more structure. Anything to do with burgers sounds magnificent!

C 1/25/09
    H 2/8/14

• Woo hoo what a vacation!!!

We've never been either BUT are going to Maui this October for our 10th wedding anniversary so I'll have plenty to say then. :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• Hike up to the Diamond Head, the view is awesome! also, take the car around the island and up to the northern, surfing beaches. One year ago exactly, we spent the most beautiful week in Oahu. Have fun, you will love it!
  • Aloha! I live here on Oahu! The area around Aulani is beautiful; the beaches there are awesome. If you guys like hiking, try Diamond Head and Koko Head. There's also an easy 1 mile hike up to Mokapu'u Lighthouse that's beautiful. You might even spot some whales! Another hike with unbeatable views is the Pillbox hike in Lanikai. For an amazing non-resort dinner, try Haleiwa Joe's in Haleiwa or Kaneohe. The Dole plantation is nice. To see sea turtles, visit Laniakea Beach. There's so much to see here; I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I hope you enjoy your visit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lurker from D14 but I couldn't not comment since it wasn't mentioned. My favorite part of my Hawaii vacation was the luau I went to we had a three course meal including in ground roast pig and drinks. Lots of fun dancers and entertainment.

• Sounds awesome. Have fun!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • vlagrl29vlagrl29 member
    edited January 2015
  • So jealous! Have fun!

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • MH and I just got back from Maui and the Big Island, and we were in Oahu a couple of years ago. Great island! We probably prefer Maui, but Oahu would be a close second.

I recommend:
    -snorkeling; we went to Hanauma Bay
    -Pearl Harbor
    -North Shore; the waves can be huge. Fun to see!
    -Waimea Valley

I'd probably also recommend Diamond Head, but we didn't get a chance to do this because I got a very severe sunburn while snorkeling. Which leads me to this tip -- reapply sunscreen *every 60 minutes* when snorkeling or at the beach! Water makes you feel like you don't need it, but trust me, you do. I got such a severe sunburn two years ago that I had to stay in the hotel room for the last couple of days of our trip (or, when outside, all of my skin had to be covered by towels or I'd be in a lot of pain).

Hope this helps! Have fun!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"