3rd Trimester
Options

34 Weeks, Can't Get My Rings Off!

I never bothered to take my rings off when I could.... Now I absolutely can't. I've tried the dental floss trick, Windex, compression, preparation H, soap, lube, you name it. Nothing works. My finger is not uncomfortable, I don't have any discoloration or loss of sensation/pain, it just looks like a Vienna sausage with a pretty set of rings at one end. Just that they are ON there and I was wanting to get them off without destroying them; if they were to be cut they would be destroyed and that's a big emotional thing for me. I've had enough emotional things this month and that would put me over the deep end.  
Should I not panic and just leave them alone if they're not bothering me and trust that the edema will subside once the baby is born? Or should I really make an effort to remove them at the risk of cutting and destroying one-of-a-kinds?  I'm leaning more towards trying some more on days I don't feel as cow-ish but not losing my mind over it unless I start to bleed.  
The picture looks a lot worse than it is, I took it after an hour of messing with it.

Re: 34 Weeks, Can't Get My Rings Off!

• Options
    As soon as you wake up in the  morning, put your hand above your head for several minutes. Then try it. Then don't put them back on lol I would also try to make sure you drinking tons and tons of water and getting adequate exercise to hopefully combat the swelling a bit. The elevated ice water is also a great idea, I'd just be sure to do it when you are least swollen (probably just as you wake up).

Honestly, if you can't get them off you may think about getting them cut off at a jeweler before the swelling gets worse. They can easily be repaired if it's gold. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I, too, have wedding ring muffin top.  It's the worst. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have you tried the "string" method?  Video here.  Good Luck!
  • Options
    You might also try wrapping scotch tape above your rings (fairly tight but make sure you are able to get it off) to slide them down. It's not quite as effective as the string trick but it's been helpful for people I know.
  • Options
    Just checking to see if anything worked?? Hope so!!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Options
    My DH works at a hospital. I asked him if I should take off my rings for fear of having them swell on. He said for fluid swelling like that in pregnancy, they do the string trick and have a 99% success rate. I wouldn't worry too much about having to have them cut off. Maybe when you get to L & D you can ask someone to hep you take them off, or perhaps your OB at your next appointment. Best of luck!
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    Cold water, then wrap tight with plastic wrap, cover with windex and dish soap. It was the last thing that worked before we headed to the jewler to have them cut off.
  • Options
    I had the same problem at 37 weeks. I used a bowl of ice with some water to help swelling. Then right after I used hair conditioner and slowly twisted it off. Took time, patience, and determination. Hurt like hell too but I was happy to not have them cut off.
  • Options
    I'm not pregnant but I am fat :( and have gained just enough that I can't get my rings off...so my only statement is that if they aren't hurting and the swelling isn't getting worse, you're probably ok to keep them on without having to have them cut off.

Trying to Conceive Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"