Stay at Home Moms

At home activities, how do you keep baby busy?

Hey all! I am pretty new to being a SAHM. I've had it easy since I left work around the holidays since my Hubby was off from work. We live in NY and it is getting very very cold. My son just turned one yesterday and I've been working hard for weeks on making super creative decorations for his party on Saturday. :) Now that its getting close and I am just about finished with all my crafty projects. I was wondering how you keep the LO busy at home when its so cold out? I sure chose a great time not to go out to work anymore :/, but now its tough to take him anywhere when its freezing out. Not to mention, he just got over a cold and I'd hate it if he got sick again before the party. I am running out of books and toys to play with him lol any fun crafty ideas with a one year old? or even not crafty, maybe fun ways to get him involved with what I do? open to suggestions! Thanks! :)

Re: At home activities, how do you keep baby busy?

• My DS just turned 1 in December. Today we made homemade play-doh and he had a blast mushing it up, pulling it apart, and putting it into containers. I also try to have different activities in different rooms so we don't get cabin fever being in the same room all day. We play with his musical instruments-today we made shakers out of his Tupperware and rice. Even taking a bath can switch things up and exciting. My son even finds enjoyment in helping me get my to-dos done. He likes to go downstairs and do laundry, touch the vacuum tube when I'm vacuuming, pull apart whatever I'm dusting with, being in his pack n play downstairs while I run on the treadmill, etc. I will also mention what pp said and say yogurt paint is fun or if you don't want a big mess let LO use paintbrushes dipped in water on colored paper. It will look like painting since those spots will get darker. If your DS loves to put things in other things you could get a container, cut holes in the top and let him put little Pom Poms through them. Get a muffin pan and put a ball in each muffin spot. Let LO take them out and put them back in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Tissue paper (trust!)
    Yogurt paints
    Let them play cook
    Coloring books
    Song tapes

Basically give them options & they will pick.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • edited January 2015
    Honestly? I don't. I don't plan activities for my kids most of the time. They know where their toys are (I try to keep them to a minimum which encourages them to play with them more), they know where their books are, and they have full access to their art supplies and sketch books. If they ask for a snack, I keep them where they can reach so they can get it themselves.
    They do have their "jobs" or chores to do each day so that takes some time. They also have a sensory bin and a cupboard specifically for their "ingredients". Those are things they are allowed to pour into the bin and experiment with mixing. Things like hair gel, vinegar, baking soda, corn starch, etc. Sometimes I will add some food coloring for them.
    We go to the mall and library a lot to get out of the house, but when we are home it is usually up to them to entertain themselves.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was big on letting them entertain themselves at home at that age. They had a playroom full of things to do, so I could do some housework, cook, etc.  I did play with them but let them choose what they wanted to do- so we played a  lot of mega blocks, cars, trains, music making, dancing etc.  And while yes they were twins- they did not play together at that age- more like torment one another with the toy stealing.

I don't think that kids need constant organized adult led activities.  They need time to think and lead themselves.  Added bonus is that you get sometime to do something that you need / want to get done.
  • I haven't had a 1yr old in a LONG time; however, I remember rotating toys so they felt "new" every few weeks helped a lot during our rainy season. :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

• We are so on the go with driving other kids to school, I wing it. I should plan more but I see a lot of tired mama in my future soon. My daughter loves to read, chase, play hide and seek, color, and go outside and play. We usually don't have a ton of time because of our schedules.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    September 2015 Siggy Challenge - Happy Dance
  • PaintGirl1978PaintGirl1978 member
    edited January 2015
    Hi! I'm a SAHM too and it's been extra cold here in Alabama this week. I'm have a two year old and I'm pregnant and nauseous in my first trimester so I don't feel like toughing it out in the cold right now. A few days ago my toddler and I stumbled across a great idea. We hopped in the bathtub together and invented the "bubble blanket." You can see a cute picture of my two year old wrapped in the bubble blanket and more details for this fun activity on my blog at: www.deepscent.blogspot.com/2015/01/bubble-blanket.html
  • Am I the only one thinking "If only mine would sit still long enough to have to be entertained?!?!?" 

If you're worried about being bored and your kiddo is an angel...  Have another - two is always more fun!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I use to keep my kid doing different activities like paintings, crafts, toys, coloring pages, clay etc. He love the color most so engage him in doing coloring and painting. I download the pages for the different sites and take the print out of the same. here is link of the fish coloring pages which i have recently downloaded.