Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Am I feeding my baby too much??

I'm worried we're doing something wrong. Our son is 6 weeks old, and he's eating SO much right now. I'm breast feeding and then also giving him formula. He took 7 ounces last night! That was a first, but he's taking about 5-6 oz on average the last few days. That seems like too much. I have noticed he is also really gassy/tooting non-stop...so I hope I'm not causing this for him. He's eating every 2-3 hours. Is this ok/normal?

Re: Am I feeding my baby too much??

• leela02leela02 member
    edited January 2015
    Maybe he is going through a growth spurt. I read that there's a growth spurt at around 6 weeks. Do you give him formula at every feeding?

Gassiness doesn't always mean anything wrong. It is common for babies to toot a lot. They can easily get gas from sucking and crying. Ask your pedi if the gas seems excessive.

Every 2-3 hrs sounds normal to me. My daughter only drinks formula and she usually wants a bottle every 2 hrs.

Our pedi says you can't overfeed a baby. If they can't eat anymore you will know it. My DD turns her head away from the bottle when she's done.
  • My four week old twins breast feed for about 10 min then I top up with forumla of about 3 ounces, they eat about ever three hours. I read that babies to go through growth spurt at 6 weeks, my babies toot poop all day but that common with forumla fed babies. How's is his weight gain?
  • Loading the player...
  • * sorry for spelling errors above, it's 5:39 am and I am feeding the babies!
  • My pediatrician says that there isn't a max number to feed a baby. If they're hungry, feed them. My LO is 5 weeks and usually says between 3 and 5 oz every 2-4 hours. I too feel like I'm over feeding her, but according to the doctor im not. She says that some babies have bigger appetites(especially is they were bigger at birth--my LO was 8.7 at birth and for a girl that's big I guess). She also says that some babies like to comfort eat too. My LO also gets gassy too--I always joke that she got the tooting trait from her dad lol.

You may not be producing much milk for him to eat so he is getting everything he can from the bottle? I would just talk to your pediatrician but I don't really see a lot wrong with the amount your LO is eating. But I'm at FTM with a very hungry 5 week old so I'm not a professional lol.

Note: I heard their 3rd growth spurt is at 6 weeks and that from 6-8 weeks is the worst time for fussiness and cluster feeding and such.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

DH and I: Dating: 08/2008, Engaged: 02/2012, and Married: 03/13!
    Adopted our Pup: 08/2011

DD born on 12/03/2014, Emma!
    (TTC #1 (and only!): 12/25/13, BFP: 03/31/14, EDD: 12/05/14, Gender, girl: 07/16/14)

imageimage

• Thx ladies! That's probably it. I usually do half formula half breast milk in bottles, or top it off with about 3 oz of formula if I breast feed because production is low. He isn't spitting up or anything, so I guess I'll keep feeding him until he gives me the cues that he's full.

• A 7 oz. bottle seems like a lot for a breastfed baby.  My 6 week old takes 4 oz and my DD who is now 2 years old never took more than 5 oz in a bottle even as an older baby.  I would definitely seek help from a lactation consultant.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"