Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

To those who have swaddled

Out of curiosity, when did you stop swaddling? I think we stopped with my older one when she was around 5 mos and I'm itching to stop with DS but he's 3.5 mos and not ready yet.

Re: To those who have swaddled

• Options
    Yeah, my DS doesn't like it, either, but he'll be shoving his hands in his mouth like 30 seconds after falling asleep if I don't swaddle :( I really hope he starts using the hand/finger sucking to self-soothe soon.
  • Options
    LO is 4 months and we only swaddle at night, arms out. He's too wiggly to swaddle during day when he's awake. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We stopped between 8-9 weeks. I tried to swaddle her once recently when she had a cold and was having trouble sleeping but she hates it now.
  • Options
    we stopped at 2 months per the instruction of our pediatrician. he says that swaddling after this age inhibits motor development - for what that's worth (he's the doc, not me....)

we had a rough time transitioning due to LO startling himself awake, but had great success with the magic merlin sleep suit, especially since it lets him suck on his hands but muffles his startlement and makes him feel cozy and snuggled.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We stopped at 2 months. We picked get up from the baby sitter after the Christmas party and put her down in the bassinet in just her sleeper and she stayed asleep! Since then...we never swaddled again.
  • Options
    Our son will be 5 months next week. I tried for the first time last night not swaddling. He did fairly well up until about 3:45 this morning...I need sleep! We will try again to night and see how it goes. He's 100% in his crib so I really think the closeness of being in the swaddle soothes him. He hated the swaddle initially but he's always had what we call "crazy arms" so it was a must to get him to sleep at all!
  • Options
    I'd love to take her out of the swaddle but she just keeps herself awake with trying to get her hands in her mouth. Anyone know how to get her to stop fussing around with her hands and just fall asleep?
  • Options
    Second night of no swaddle, got an extra hour in 4:50 am this time. I guess at this rate we may make it to 6 without waking. Although I did have to move him to the rock n play where he's more confined in the middle of the night. I want him in his crib. I may try socks or gloves on his hands and see how that plays out, see if he won't rub his eyes out until he wakes himself completely:/
  • Options
    I'm going back to swaddling my 2 days shy of being 5 months old little crazy armed monster! He will not stop rubbing his face, keeps us both up all night. I do not swaddle during the day, why he's fine then and not at night I have no idea. I'll try to wean him off somehow someway someday. I even found a swaddle strap on Amazon to help wean off, it's $30, I may try making my own.
  • Options
    At 4 months we are still swaddling. DD will be flipping her sh*t and crying, fighting sleep (not hungry or wet) as soon as the swaddle is on, she out in two seconds.
  • Options
    First night back on the swaddle, slept like a "baby", what is up with that saying anyways (considering the lack of sleep he actually does)?! He slept all night though;) I say swaddle up!!
  • Options
    seamonkey0814seamonkey0814 member
    edited January 2015
    We stopped at almost 3 months because DS was rolling himself on his side and that made us nervous. It was tough though and we ended up going to a Merlins Magic Sleep Suit instead because he's just so restless and he couldn't stay asleep. I think next time we'll try not swaddling at all, just to avoid having to transition out of it.
  • Options

ktbug3000 said:
    I'd love to take her out of the swaddle but she just keeps herself awake with trying to get her hands in her mouth. Anyone know how to get her to stop fussing around with her hands and just fall asleep?
    LO has a lovey that I find does the trick. He starts fiddling with sticking his hands in his mouth trying to soothe but I hate it since he just ends up gagging himself. I started giving him the lovey and he'll now grip and cling to it and soothes with it to sleep. He's 13 weeks.
  • Options
    My LO is 4.5 months and we still swaddle. We tried the Merlin suit but that coincided with his sleep regression, and he kept waking up every 2 hours, so we went back to swaddling in his Woombie, He is back to sleeping 11 hours straight. 

We don't swaddle during the day, but he only takes crap naps. I may try the suit again this weekend, but if the swaddle is what keeps him asleep for now, I'm fine with it. His motor skills are fine, so I'm not worried about that. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We just sort of let LO tell us when she was ready to stop. Once we started seeing her sneak arms out, we stopped bothering swaddling.  We did make a point to introduce her to her sleep sacks for naps and sometimes just when it was cool so she had a feel for them first.... but she was just over 3 months when we swaddled her for the last time I believe. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we stopped when DD was just over 2 months old- she loved playing with her hands and having them out. it got to a stage where she would strain and go all red in the face / start crying until we un-swaddled her.. and since then we have stopped! she loves her gro-bag though !!
  • Options
    LO is 4 mos old and we still swaddle.  He moves around so much at night.  we will find him on the opposite side of his crib facing the way we placed him.  Doc didn't say anything about it today at our appt.  He is only swaddled at night.  He sleeps 12 hours with it.  I'm afraid to take it off.  I'm enjoying my sleep :)
    TTC 2007
    Me-OK DH- MFI
    2010 IUI 1-3 Femara + Ovidrill BFN
    Change DR 5/12 IUI 4-5 Natural Cycle BFN
    5/13 DH diagnosed with b1/b3 microdeletion of Y chromosome
    IVF #1 July  Started Lupron 7/5 AF 7/14
    ER 8/1 7R 5M 3F W/ICSI ET 8/6 Moved to 8/7 due to no blast 
    Transferred our UNO embryo Beta #1 27 Beta #2 33 Beta #3 29 CP :(
    IVF #2 Started Lupron 2/14 
    Protocol 10U Lupron, 150 Bravelle, 150 Menopur, HGH for 4 days, Dexamethesone, 
    Supplements 6000mg CoQ10, 100mg DHEA, Vitamin D, Folic Acid, 
    ER 3/12 8R 4 able to be injected 2f with ICSI ET 3/15 2 "perfect" textbook Embryos
    2 crinone, estrace, dexamethesone, doxycycline
    BETA #1 3/26 201  BETA #2 3/28 524  BETA #3 4/5 9,876  Ultrasound April 7 Showed TWINs
    April 18 ultrasound Baby A HB 147   Baby B HB 146  Both measuring 7w1d
    WE ARE TEAM BLUE X2!
    Jonathan Daniel received his angel wings July 23, 2014 :( born 9/20/14
    Jackson Thomas was born October 31, 2014 @ 35w 5d

• Options
    We stopped at 3 months. I transitioned her to a baby deedee sleep sack and she sleeps so much better. I'm planning to continue it till she's moved to big bed. DS1 still sleeping in his large baby deedee sleep bag, never tried to climb over crib rail. I think it'll keep him in the crib a little longer.
  • Options
    we stopped at 8 weeks since this is when she started rolling from back to front. It wasn't a bad transition, just into a sleep sack, and sleep was already pretty bad at that point (lots of traveling and disrupted routines) so didn't notice any difference.
    -----sig and ticker warning----------
    me: 37 unexplained infertility, DH 37 normal
    ttc for 18 months before seeing RE
    Letrozol on CD 3-7, overdril trigger

IUI#1, 2 follicles 17.4 and 20mm                BFN
    Letrozol and TI cycle                                  BFN
    IUI#2 2 follicles (RE noted fluid in uterus, and then realized it was there last time too)  BFN
    Letrozol and TI                                            BFN
    IUI#3 one follicle 21mm (fluid there again) BFP!!!
    02/10 beta#1 335 (at 4weeks1day), 02/12 Beta#2 751 :-)

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"