VBAC

Successful VBAC!!!!! Better late than never

Hello! Baby is 6.5 months old now, I think it's time to share.

Saw my Dr at 40 weeks and they were holding on to not inducing to up my chances of VBAC, although they stripped my membranes at my last two visits. They told me if nothing by the following Wednesday, they would place a foley bulb to try to jump start labor. Low and behold, nothing. So, I went in Wednesday and had my foley bulb placed (was at a 2).

After the foley bulb was placed, I made a last minute run to Costco and was pretty crampy during this time. Went home, had a normal evening and went to bed. The foley bulb is a pain to change in or use the bathroom bc you have a tube taped to your leg.

The next morning at 5:50 am, I woke up and told my husband I had two separate dreams where I was having contractions, about 5 minutes later I had a real contraction. And I was like, oh, I really am having contractions. Did normal morning things through the contractions, called my Dad who was going to be watching my son to come get him. Still unsure whether or not these were real contractions. Had breakfast and fed my son and sent him off with my dad. My husband and I set off to Target and I called the doctor who informed me that when they get to 5 minutes apart to head in.

While in Target, things started getting really painful and I actually couldn't finish my shopping. We left, headed home and I painted my toe nails (who does this in labor?). Once finished, I told my husband it was time to go.

After stopping at Taco Bell and being unable to eat, we make it to the doctor around 10:30 and when she checks me, she said the bulb was out and I was dilated to a good 4 CM. She said I have 2 options, I could either head home and relax to see if the contractions would stop now that the foley bulb was out, or I could go walk around a local park to see if I could get them to come more regularly. So, I decided to go walk around. My Mom was outside waiting for us when we were done with the Doctor (I needed her by my side).

To the park we went. One lap around is all I could make it and really needed to sway and breathe through the contractions. At this point, my husband was tired, so we got in the car (it was gorgeous out by the way) and he took a little nap, while I tried to labor quietly. When I couldn't take it much longer, I told them we should head back to the hospital. My Mom and husband wanted me to hold on a little longer so they suggested going to get lunch and taking our time to get to the hospital. Considering how long my last labor was (32 hours), I agreed.

We left the park and my husband went to get a shake and my mom got a sandwich. Contractions were building more and more and they decided they wanted to stop at a few garage sales in the neighborhood by the sandwich shop. So, I stayed in the A/C while they hit up a couple sales, even trying once to get out and go up to one with them (that was too painful, had to get back in the car). After that one, I told them it was time to head back to the hospital, as things were getting pretty intense.

Once back to the doctor, she checked me and I was at a 6! At this point, it's about 2:30 pm. She said that I could go back walking or head up to the hospital. I chose the hospital because I didn't feel like I could handle much more pain (although I was trying to have the baby med-free). I did all my check in and sat in the bed. I laid down hoping to ease some pain and things in the room were a little crazy, as they were trying to train a new nurse (I did not have the patience for this). While answering their questions, I felt a big pop and gush of warm liquid, I knew it was my water breaking.

Shortly after my water breaking, I made the decision to get the epi. This decision was made mostly based on pain and partly due to the fact that if later on I ended up having to have an emergency C-section, they would have to put me under and my husband couldn't be in the room, which means neither of us would be able to hear her first cry :(

I received the epi, which was not a good experience, just like my first and felt better once it kicked in. Those in the room say I started singing, although I don't remember this (Jake Owen-Beachin'). The epi was treating me good and I was able to video chat with my toddler for a bit. Some time around this point, my sister-in-law came, as she would be in the room when I had the baby.

Later in the evening, I was checked and progressed to around an 8 and was told that I would probably have my baby that day (before midnight). I actually kind of believed this because this was going by a lot faster than my first labor. This was until about 8:00 pm, when I was checked and informed that I was at a 9 but there was a lip of my cervix that was swollen. I was staring to get tired and napped until my epi wore off, which left me in excruciating pain and begging for the anesthesiologist.

He came back and topped me up and adjusted a few things and I was able to doze off again. My poor guests were FREEZING all night but I was hot. An internal heart monitor had to be placed, as the baby was in a weird position and they could not get her heart rate, which was scary but happened in my last labor as well. Around 4 AM, after many in between checks, my doctor informed the nurses that I should start pushing, which I did for two full hours. At that point, I was completely exhausted and begged that they let me take a break.

Around 8:30 or 9, they came in and said it was time to start pushing and this time my doctor was there, so I knew it was time to have a baby. I pushed with my doctor for about an hour and the epi wore off again but this time, I could feel it start to wear off. I told him I couldn't have the baby without the epi working. At this time, he decided to assist with forceps because I was completely exhausted and on my 4th hour of pushing. He called the anesthesiologist and told me when he was on his way that as soon as he gave me the last bulbous, I would need to give him my best push I could possibly could because he could not pull the baby out without my help.

While the anesthesiologist was working on me, he pulled out the forceps and positioned them (grinding on my pelvic bone....ew). Once Dr. Feel Good came in and topped me up, my Dr. said there was a contraction coming, to which I said the medicine hasn't kicked in yet! He said, "honey, it's done all it can so PUUUUUUUUUUUSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH" literally yelling at me. I pushed with everything I had an he pulled those big ol salad tongs with all of his might and out popped my 8 lb 10 oz baby girl. Sorynn Olivia was born on Friday, June 13, 2014 (Yep, my friday the 13th baby).
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary

Re: Successful VBAC!!!!! Better late than never

• Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your story
    Together: 1/13/2006
    Married: 1/26/2013
    DD: 4/8/2014
    Expecting #2: 9/22/2015

BabyFetus TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"