May 2014 Moms

Stopping Breastfeeding

So as of New Years day I have stopped breastfeeding.  Towards the end I was only really breastfeeding at night so my supply was way down. Well now, about 4 days later I am still in a lot of pain and still have a ton a clogged ducts (they are actually visible).  Some say to express the milk out and some say to just not do anything.  How long does it take for your boobs to go back to normal and to finally go back to its original size.

Re: Stopping Breastfeeding

• For me it took 2-3 days for my boobs to adjust each time DD1 dropped a feeding. I would massage the clogged ducts and pump for 2min or hand express a little. Just enough to get some relief but not so much you stimulate milk production. You can also try putting cabbage leaves in your bra.
  • I've heard it can take anywhere between a few days up to 2 weeks for your body to get the message and dry up. You can do a few things to help- drink peppermint tea, take benadryl, put cabbage leaves on your bra, wear a tight bra, etc. You can probably find a ton of suggestions online or check out the BF board.

In the meantime, I think hand expressing a little for comfort once or twice a day is fine. Just don't pump. You definitely don't want to end up with mastitis. It's not fun! Good luck.
    BFP#1 8/3/12~EDD 4/1/13~Natural M/C 9/1/12-9w6d 
    BFP#2 5/30/13~EDD 2/3/14~Confirmed CP 5/31/13
    7/12/13 Hysteroscopy & Lap Lysis of Adhesions
    1st Cycle on Clomid Aug '13: BFP#3 8/24/13~EDD 5/3/14
    Hoping Third Time's a Charm!!- IT'S A GIRL!!!! 
    KAYLIE MARIE IS HERE! BORN 5/4/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Lilypie - (nUwf)

All AL-ers welcome in my posts! <3
  • Loading the player...
  • I've also heard taking Sudafed will help dry up your supply as well. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I quit cold turkey when I did it...it took about a week for the pain and clogged ducts to go away, two weeks to stop leaking. Make sure you express a little for some relief and to prevent mastitis.

Also, any ladies on here who may be trying to stop BFing, I have the "No More Milk" tea and I have at least 5 packs of it (they only sold it in bulk when I got it). Free box to anyone who might want it, until they are gone.
    BFP # 1 - 12/19/09 EDD 08/27/10 - D&C 1/26/10 @ 9w5d

BFP # 2 - 06/05/10 EDD 02/17/11, DS1 born on 2/14/11

BFP # 3 - 04/10/13 EDD 12/21/13 - D&C 05/15/13 @ 8w4d

BFP # 4 - 07/27/13 EDD 04/08/14 - CP 07/29/13

BFP # 5 - 09/14/13 EDD 05/28/14, DS2 born on 5/22/14 

• I did this last month and it sucked! Took me almost two weeks and I pumped twice during those two weeks. Everyone told me if I pumped it would make it worse, but it helped me. Listen to your body and do what you feel is right! I massaged the lumps also but honestly nothing helped but waiting it out and pumping those two times. Finally after almost two weeks they went back down.... And BOY did they deflate lol. Good luck, it'll go away eventually!
  • I quit cold turkey when I did it...it took about a week for the pain and clogged ducts to go away, two weeks to stop leaking. Make sure you express a little for some relief and to prevent mastitis.

Also, any ladies on here who may be trying to stop BFing, I have the "No More Milk" tea and I have at least 5 packs of it (they only sold it in bulk when I got it). Free box to anyone who might want it, until they are gone.

If you still have some, I'm in!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"