Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

How do I get my 11 1/2 month old to get into food

DD turns 1 at the end of the month and she has no interest in food. Yes, i can get her to take a few bites of baby food but nothing from my plate. I try and try and try am I doing something wrong here? I'm getting nervous because we are about at that one year mark and I'm worried about her being taken off the formula. Anyone else have this problem and get over it? THANKS!!

Re: How do I get my 11 1/2 month old to get into food

• Options
    I would start with just giving her finger food to play with. I started with cheerios and puffs and such. Eventually we moved on to carrots and broccoli and pieces of chicken. Just try different things and see what she likes.

Don't stress, just keep trying. Everyone moves on from baby food eventually :)
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    thank you :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation.  DD turned 1 on NYE and we have been trying to transition her for a few months.  She likes her purees but has little interest in table food.  She will eat puffs, cheerios, and goldfish crackers, but only a few at a sitting.  I can occasionally get her to eat a few bites of apple or toast with peanut butter but that's about it.  Everything else we put on her tray she just plays with and/or throws on the floor.  She goes to her one-year appt next week and I have heard that her pedi tells everyone to take their LO off formula completely at one year so it should be interesting, especially since DD's system doesn't seem to tolerate cow's milk either. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    First: Taking your child off formula is your decision... they make toddler specific formulas so if you are not comfortable doing it don't, just transition to the toddler formula so they get the right nutrition. 
    Second: Try and not stress too much about it. Babies pick up on stress pretty easy and that could cause her anxiety about trying new foods. Just present her with options, keep offering new things. Eventually she will learn to like food. I was totally surprised to find that my DD liked black beans, loves them! I only tried them because she was getting constipated but now they are a regular option because she eats them so well. What helps for us is sharing bites. I take a bite of food and offer it to her. If she does not want it I just put it down in front of her and let her control what she puts in her mouth but I draw her attention to the fact that I am still eating it. Often she will try a bite on her own after this kind of exchange. Sometimes she makes a face and puts (throws) it down, sometimes she does not.
    Third: Keep offering! I think I have been putting raspberries on my DDs plate for 3 months and she just recently started taking bites. They need to get comfortable with the look and feel of new food sometimes, and this might mean a lot of wasted food that goes right in the trash without being touched, but eventually they try it. Dont give up!
  • Options
    My daughter didn't have a lot of interest in solids or table foods. I tried having someone else give it to her and having her feed herself. Not interested either. What worked for us? LO started having "family style" meals at daycare and seeing the other kids eat the food made her want to try new things

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    We had/have the same problem. My LO loves baby food and was a great eater. But whenever we tried to feed him table food he would refuse it or spit it out.
    On our 1 year appointment my doc told me not to stress about it. Yes, most babies get out of formula when they are one, but some are just not ready.
    She advised me to give him toddler formula at night, breakfast and mid afternoon. But never substitute a meal for a milk. She told me to offer him table food every day at lunch time and if he refuse it or doesn't eat enough, I should give him baby food.
    He is now 13 months and is slowing starting to eat more and more. When we feel he is eating well enough we will give him table food at dinner.

• Options
    I did baby lead weaning which is basically cooking what you would cook on a regular night for everyone and give them some my daughter was on breast milk until 10 months then I did rice cereal then some baby food she did not like it so I tried the BLW AND She LOVE EVERYTHING NOW avacado, boiled Egg whites, beans, Broccoli, STRAWBERRIES, zuchinni etc.
    Try it what's there to loose :)
  • Options
    Everyone gave great advice. Just keep offering her food and try not to stress.
  • Options
    thank you everyone for the advise :)

• Options
    You wait. Offer a spoon for them to play at feeding themselves. You can't make them do anything before they are ready.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"