2nd Trimester
Options

Sleeping with GERD

Hi All,

Currently I sleep on my back at about a 45 degree angle with a wedge and two pillows to help with my GERD (acid reflux among other things).  I had GERD prior to my pregnancy but it has kicked into overdrive (constant reflux, vomiting stomach acid, indigestion, etc).  I'm currently taking two zantac a day, 1 probiotic, and 2 Diclegis and that has held it somewhat at bay.  

At some point, I know that I won't be able to sleep on my back anymore.  Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do at that point?  Is anyone else going through this?  Sometimes I wake up and I'm curled up on the wedge on my side.  I just can't picture doing this with a huge belly because I'm somewhat contorted and bent at the waist.  Would sleeping in a recliner make a side position easier?  Are people building huge wedge pillow castles in their beds to help with this?  I'm only 14 weeks so I'm not at that point yet, but I want to prep now for when I inevitably get to that point (basically, should I buy a recliner?  or something else?).

Thanks

Re: Sleeping with GERD

• Options
    I have struggled with GERD too, but thankfully not so frequently. I take Protonix for my acid reflux issues and it has been a life saver for me. Have you spoken to your Dr/OB about trying a different type of drug. Your current ones may not be very effective for you. Best of luck!
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • Options
    MathGraceMathGrace member
    edited January 2015
    @GSUDavis - I have a call into the doctor for a different prescription, but in the past I've tried other drugs and they all seem to have the same effect (Prevacid and Nexium) which is basically minimal. Monitoring my diet and sleeping at an angle combined with the medicine were the only things that worked pre-pregnancy and they seem to be somewhat effective now (well less effective but better than prior to the medication).  But thank you very much for the suggestion.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @MathGrace - Good for you for being proactive about it. I've known many people who just say that "they'll deal with it" and all they succeed in doing is more harm to themselves. I hope that you are able to find some relief and that things get a little easier for you. =)
    1/19/15 - Officially Team Blue! 
    "Victory is paid for in sweat, courage, and preparation!"
  • Options
    I've been dealing with GERD for awhile and it has kicked into hyper gear in my pregnancy.  I started sleeping in a recliner about 3 months ago.  I can tell you know that with me it only got worse.  Went to my GI and they put me on reglan 4 times a day and sucrafate 4 times a days as well.  I also take dexilant 2 times a day as an antacid it is much better than any of the OTC's.  There really isn't much you can do besides controlling your diet and sleep sitting up.  
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @schnitz9 - When you sleep in the recliner, are you on your back or side?  I've read that sleeping on your back when you're very pregnant is uncomfortable. Does the recliner sort of negate that since your legs are up? 
  • Options
    I sleep on my back.  Sometimes I will take my snoogle and roll it up and sleep against it in the bed.  The 45 degree angle sleeping is not as helpful anymore and now I need to be as close to 90 degrees as possible.  It is a bit uncomfortable but if I don't I'm regurgitating in my sleep and waking up choking even if I'm sleeping on my side.  Sometimes I can wake up in the middle of the night and lay down a little lower.  As the night goes by the more I digest my food the better I am sleeping.  It helps if  you stop eating at least 2-3 hours before bed and don't drink anything either.  Unfortunately on top of my GERD my digestive track has decided to quit on me so my food is taking anywhere from 10-12 hours to digest. 
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Okay, sounds like I should buy a recliner then!  Thank you!
  • Options

I have dealt with stomach issues (acid reflux) for years.  I've taken omeprazole (Prilosec OTC) and that has helped quite a bit. 

My wife has been taking diclegis for her nausea, but it isn't always strong enough.  When the diclegis isn't helping, Zofran has been a lifesaver for her. 

• Options
    I take protonix 2x a day and it's still pretty bad. I wedge myself up with pillows and I sleep fairly well on my sides...although my left side makes me nauseous at first (I can feel the acid rising). Best of luck!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    pixieprincsspixieprincss member
    edited January 2015
    I prop up lots of pillows and sleep in my bed on my back. Because it is semi-sitting, it isn't like a bowling ball on your organs like laying flat, which can feel uncomfortable. It sounds like you've done a ton of looking into this, but other things that help me are no dairy, no tomatoes, taking digestive enzymes with my food, and--weirdly enough--not eating and drinking at the same time. I also cannot handle plain water. Watered-down apple juice and herbal tea for pregnancy have been my BFF for three pregnancies. With DS1, I threw up until 37 weeks because of reflux, but it hasn't been that extreme with the other two.
  • Options
    @pixieprincss - I'm having the same problem with water! I've been drinking juice or sucking ice cubes mostly.  No onions, garlic, tomatoes, chocolate or mint among other things for me.  I seriously seriously miss pizza. I live in NJ and go to NYC a lot so I'm surrounded by pizza all the time.  Such good pizza....(I think I just drooled a little)    
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"