February 2015 Moms
Options

Does Anyone Have Experience with Lactation Cookies?

My milk supply with DD1 was a bit lackluster, so I'm hoping to get a jump start on some fortification this time around. I had read about the lactation cookies last time, but at the time hadn't been able to find the brewers yeast that they all seem to call for. This time around I've located it at my local Bulk Barn (Canadian bulk store chain), so I'm planning to make some this weekend. Just wondering if anyone else has used them and if they were actually effective?
BabyFetus Ticker
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does Anyone Have Experience with Lactation Cookies?

• Options
    I used them last time and they worked well.

However, even though you had supply issues last time, that doesn't mean you will this time. I would wait and see if you can establish supply on your own first - lest you end up with oversupply, which is not as wonderful as it sounds.

They don't stay good (as in, fresh) very long either. So I wouldn't make them so far in advance.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Charlie - 12/11/2011 * Surprise! #2 - EDD 2/17/2015

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm hoping that I won't have the same issues. I have been much leakier this pregnancy, so it gives me a bit of hope. Can your recommend a particular recipe @michelle142?
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not the healthiest recipe out there, but they taste good and they worked for me (I made these around 6 months when my pumping supply took a nose dive)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    One of my GF's eats them and they have worked for her but her LO is 6 months old. There is a group called Dairy Queens on fb and they are super helpful with natural supply boosters should one need it. There are some items that don't require baking you could have on hand just in case like Gatorade, oatmeal, fenugreek and the brewers yeast-you can put that in whatever you are eating and not have to make cookies.
    You had one job:

• Options
    Mrs. Zee said:
    One of my GF's eats them and they have worked for her but her LO is 6 months old. There is a group called Dairy Queens on fb and they are super helpful with natural supply boosters should one need it. There are some items that don't require baking you could have on hand just in case like Gatorade, oatmeal, fenugreek and the brewers yeast-you can put that in whatever you are eating and not have to make cookies.
    Fenugreek  works great as well. You have to take a TON of pills to get the full effect though - I took 6 pills a day. And they make you smell like maple syrup 24/7, not sure if that's good or bad.. lol

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    digwriter said:
    Mrs. Zee said:
    Fenugreek  works great as well. You have to take a TON of pills to get the full effect though - I took 6 pills a day. And they make you smell like maple syrup 24/7, not sure if that's good or bad.. lol
    Well, I am in Canada, so smelling like maple syrup is kind of contextual. LOL
    It's more like sweaty maple syrup.. so it's just a little gross!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Last time I just used regular oatmeal raisin cookies. DH has already prepped some dough into balls and froze them. This way I have them on hand, when needed.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers image image image
  • Options
    digwriter said:

I'm hoping that I won't have the same issues. I have been much leakier this pregnancy, so it gives me a bit of hope. Can your recommend a particular recipe @michelle142?

I hate to hijack your post with a question, so my apologies, but does your level of "leakiness" indicate how your supply will be? I'm a FTM and want to BF and have no idea about anything.
  • Options
    I hate to hijack your post with a question, so my apologies, but does your level of "leakiness" indicate how your supply will be? I'm a FTM and want to BF and have no idea about anything.
    Nope.

You can leak like crazy and have average or low supply (or be fine). OR you can not leak at all and be good to go. Leaking give no indication as to what your supply will be.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have never made the cookies but I drank a ton of mother's milk tea in the beginning with DD2. I can't say for sure that it contributed to my success but I never had any supply issues. It was taking longer than I expected for my milk to come in so I had DH pick up a few boxes of it at our regular grocery store while I was still in the hospital. It is caffeine free so I drank the maximum amount per day suggested on the back of the box for the first couple weeks, then less for a couple weeks after that. My milk came in on day 3 (which is totally normal but at the time felt like an eternity) and I ended up having a great supply. This time around, I plan to pick up a box before I deliver just so I have it at home if I feel like I need it but I probably won't go as crazy with it. I know my milk will come in regardless but it's at least comforting for me to feel like I'm doing something while I'm waiting.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    No idea. It's just hopeful thinking on my part. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    CogDis said:
    I love cookies! I think I'm going to just call all my homemade cookies "lactation cookies" from now on. Maybe that will deter DH from eating as many and will allow me to hoard them all to myself! Muhahahhaha
    That didn't work in my case. My husband asked me the other day when I will be making lactation cookies. He loved them last time.

digwriter More Milk Plus helped me w/ DS#2. I had to supplement formula w/ DS#1 but didn't with #2. I wasn't mass producing or anything, but it did help significantly.

~~~Big brother 11.29.05 & Little Brother 6.18.09~~~  
    Pregnancy%20ticker
  • Options
    Is the main thing that helps in the cookies the oats? With ds I ate oatmeal most mornings (not instant). Sometimes I would get the oatmeal from starbucks.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Oatmeal helped me. I ate it for breakfast, used oatmeal bread for lunch, and made oatmeal cookies for treats.

I did not have supply issues, but I had extra breastmilk on days I ate oatmeal.
    IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• Options
    I eat them all the time. Nuke them a bit. That's a trick @chicagojackie taught me.