March 2015 Moms
Options

Is it okay?

So my husband and I can only agree on one name. We each like the name but neither is in love with the name. Is it okay just like a name and not be in love with it?

Re: Is it okay?

• Options
    We are at that point. It's pretty narrowed down but we are not in love with anything. :-/

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm having the opposite issue. We've loved a name from day one and now I feel meh about it
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm dying to know what the name is.

But yes, you can name the kid anything you want. Whether you are comfortable with a like-it name vs a love-it is really personal preference, but you wouldn't be the first. I'd keep looking, but if you can't find something better, use the like-it name.
  • Options
    It's okay. But as pp have said, I wouldn't name my child any name I wasn't 100% sure of and in love with. You still have time to figure it out, names aren't easy, and it's a big decision so don't rush :)
  • Options
    I hated the name my DH chose and then it grew on me and kept growing until there was no other option but to go with that name. So your opinion could change. Keep playing around with names and use the names when talking about your baby, that helped me a lot.
  • Options
    @mangomimosa‌ it's Miles George.

George was my husband's father's name and is also my father and my brother's name. So we will be honoring a few people with just one name.

I happen to be in love name Maddox Kenneth. Kenneth after my husband the M in Maddox would be for me. My husband on the other hand hates Maddox, and as a matter of fact hates every name I come up with. He would be much happier if I would just cave and name the baby Kenneth after him, with George still as a middle name. I am totally against this because I grew up with brother and myself being named after our parents, and never being called by my name. (Both my brother and myself were called by nicknames.) So I am very stuck, and my husband feels it is my job to come up with the names and he gets to veto them, which is very frustrating. I am one list away from telling him he gets no say at all in choosing the name.
  • Options

marthah05 said:

@mangomimosa‌ it's Miles George.

George was my husband's father's name and is also my father and my brother's name. So we will be honoring a few people with just one name.

I happen to be in love name Maddox Kenneth. Kenneth after my husband the M in Maddox would be for me. My husband on the other hand hates Maddox, and as a matter of fact hates every name I come up with. He would be much happier if I would just cave and name the baby Kenneth after him, with George still as a middle name. I am totally against this because I grew up with brother and myself being named after our parents, and never being called by my name. (Both my brother and myself were called by nicknames.) So I am very stuck, and my husband feels it is my job to come up with the names and he gets to veto them, which is very frustrating. I am one list away from telling him he gets no say at all in choosing the name.

I might love Miles George enough to make up for you just feeling meh about it. I think it's classic and suits so many different phases: man, boy, baby, doctor, president, artist.... Love.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm guessing that you will 100% love whatever you name LO. Take your time. We didn't decide until after LO was born. Try using the name for a few days and see how you feel.
    Agreed. I really like Miles George! FWIW :)
  • Options
    I agree, I love it! Plus it still has the M to represent you! But I agree with pps that you don't need to rush to decide and you could see what suits him once he's here And you see what he looks like and his personality.
  • Options
    I might love Miles George enough to make up for you just feeling meh about it. I think it's classic and suits so many different phases: man, boy, baby, doctor, president, artist.... Love.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm guessing that you will 100% love whatever you name LO. Take your time. We didn't decide until after LO was born. Try using the name for a few days and see how you feel.

When I was born my parents were expecting a boy since my mother carried the same with my brother as she did with me. So there was not a girl's name picked out, my parents argued in the hospital for three days. When they were getting ready to leave the hospital the nurses said I couldn't leave until I had a name. (I guess things were different in the '70's.) My mother tired and frustrated with my father because he insisted on me being named Greta Heidi and she wanted Ericha after my grandfather, she finally said name her whatever you want. Needless to say with my father's warped sense of humor I am extremely luck my name isn't "Whatever (First name) you want (middle name)". Instead he gave me my mother's and spelled her middle name wrong (Anne instead of Ann). So I refuse to even go to the hospital without a name for the little man.
  • Options
    Think of it this way, it's great that you have a name that you both agree on. But you still have time to find one that you Love. You don't need to have a name yet. Put this name at the top of the list and keep looking.
    for SuzyQ and all who have lost

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ok -- it's not my fave name either, but it's very classic! You definitely can't go wrong with Miles George.

Maddox is NMS but -- maybe you guys can revisit M names?
  • Options
    Have you tried using the name to see if it might grow on you? I thought I really liked a name at first but when I said it outloud it didn't seem right. The name I think we are going to use I've been saying out loud around the house and I like it more and more every day.
  • Options
    I was rather "meh" about our choice at first but as PPs have offered, we started using the name on a regular basis. It has grown on me so much that I couldn't imagine anything else!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Me: 28 | SO: 28
    BFP: July 22, 2014 | EDD: March 28, 2015
    For Suzy and all M15 Loss Moms
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"