High-Risk Pregnancy

Getting Frustrated with GD and the doctors

I am just needing a place to vent. I have been testing 4 times a day and watching what I eat for a little over a month now. My numbers have been amazing and I only had one bad number at 150 because I over ate. For Christmas I ate a ton and had candy, expecting to be high and was well within normal to low numbers. I have had a couple nights that were at 122 and have lost about 5 lbs since they changed my diet. I went to the diabetic doctor today and she gave me a bunch of crap for those 122's as well as loosing weight. I thought I was doing really well with my numbers and feel like they are just trying to grasp at straws to make me have high numbers so they can give me insulin. She mentioned giving me insulin numerous times over the 15 minute appointment. I am just so frustrated that they think I need insulin when I am over by a few points every once in a while. I am averaging in the 90's two hours after my meals. I am 36 weeks this week and go in for an ultrasound tomorrow. I am just hoping that the baby is healthy and gaining weight because if so I am about to tell the diabetic doctors to get lost!!

Re: Getting Frustrated with GD and the doctors

• From what you are saying...you seem ideal to me. I am supposed to have numbers below 130 1hr after eating or 120 after 2 hrs. And they usually way are below that. Thankfully I've been able to control it via diet.
    Try not to let it get you down too much. Just a few more weeks to go.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • I totally feel ya. I clearly do not have GD. My numbers are always within the normal limits with the exception of 2 times. And I know exactly why they were high those two times. My 3 hour glucose test came back with one reading that was a point above the limit but my OB office still sent me to the diabetes office at our hospital. This means I have double the appointments, had a 3 hour seminar, meal plan, and test 4 times a day.

My A1C is 4.5, the low end of normal. I find it disturbing that if I have 3 values over in a week they would consider insulin. I have large babies. They are convinced it is due to GD but I have been completely normal this time and she is measuring in the 95th percentile. My first was 11.1 pounds. I passed the three hour test with her and they claim I must have had undiagnosed gd, that she "was abnormal" even though she never had any problems with blood sugar. My second I passed the one hour and he was 9.8 pounds. This is going to be another big baby and it obviously isn't due to GD. I was hoping at the last visit that they would tell me to lower the amount of testing I do...no such luck. I have limited my testing to when I am home and it is convenient. My SIL who is a doctor told me I should tell my OB that this is bull and I am done with all the GD stuff and that they should cancel all the appointments with the diabetes office.

It is incredibly frustrating. Do they also want you to do the two hour glucose test 6 weeks after the baby is born? Yeah, I don't think I will be doing that...
  • Loading the player...
  • No they haven't mentioned a two hour glucose afterward. I think I will be skipping that as well. Having low numbers and a good A1C is enough proof for me that I am in the clear. I am sure if I sat down and ate a dozen doughnuts dipped in a gallon of ice cream I would be diabetic, but I am normally very cautious about what I am eating. Sure I have my occasional sweet treat but it isn't an everyday thing nor do I usually eat a large carb diet. I am pretty sure they overloaded my body with all that glucose and that was what the problem was. I wish they took into consideration our daily lives and routines as well. 
  • Sounds like the situation that I am in. My numbers have been decent with a few highs. The doctors has mentioned insulin but I don't feel the need. The meds I am making me feel dizzy enough.
    Baby #1 MC November 2007
    Baby #2 MC June 2008
    Baby #3 Born April 2009
    Baby #4 due date February 2015

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • If I had numbers like that there is no way I'd take insulin.
    my age: 40 but will be 41 in 2 months, DH 38 Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I am similar. My OB's office has about 15 Dr's/np's and I swear they all have different opinions about what is and what isn't acceptable as far as numbers go.

I had one high number with my first pregnancy in the first week and the dr I saw that week wanted to put me on meds. The next week I had a follow up with another dr and he praised me for only having one high number. I hate it!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I had an OB appointment yesterday and had the Biophyiscal ultrasound. Everything is looking excellent with the baby and we go back on Monday to have a weight ultrasound. When I saw the OB after the ultrasound and told her how my numbers were she asked if they had released me! I was totally blown away by this and am wondering if I should mention this to the Diabetic dr. 
  • If they do release you, try and stick to the diet as much as possible. My numbers were great if not on the low side. The day before Thanksgiving I was given the green light to eat what I wanted and to test when I wanted. They didn't think I actually had it. But after a week my numbers were soaring. It took almost 2 weeks of diet to get them back down. I wish they would have never told me that. I have less than 3 weeks to go.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Proud Mom to Kaleigh (14yr) Emma (12yr) and Hanna (7yr)

photo 65b2d6f3-b1dd-4a2a-944b-fcb0ed878723_zpsc89c0b93.jpg
  • Thank you for that. I would definitely stay with the diet plan. In fact I was already eating close to the diet before I got pregnant because I was trying to loose weight and was cutting out carbs.  
  • Make sure you have enough protein if you have a carby meal too. That helps keep your numbers down. The one time I was over after a meal I had ordered a salad with chicken and garlic bread. It came without the chicken. I was 121 at my 2 hour reading.
  • I'm a nurse and a type 1 diabetic that has had a kiddo. So let me give you ladies a relality check as to why you are being harped at by the docs. Non-diabetic women, when pregnant, have lower blood sugar than they would if they weren't pregnant. 122 is fine but its not tight control. Tight micromanagement is ideal. Also A1c standards during pregnancy change the further along you get, because the higher those numbers the more complications are possible.

30 - Waiting to TTC#2

PCOS -Fibroids -Type 1 Diabetes

• @jhoke82 Do you have an update? Did they end up giving you insulin?
  • Sorry I haven't been on in a while. Update: No Insulin!! YAY. My OB also said she would let me go a little over 40 weeks as well. I am currently 39 weeks and 5 days. I go to the OB tomorrow so hopefully I will have an idea of when we will deliver. Last appointment I was 1cm so maybe we made some progress. I am at the point that I really just want to be done testing and have this sweet baby in my arms!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"