Attachment Parenting

No stroller?

with my first I wore her and had a stroller. We have moved since to a small town 2.5 hours away from the closest metro area. My daughter will be 4 when this baby comes. I'm really thinking about foregoing a stroller this time around. Any moms have experience just wearing and not using a stroller. I do have a jogging stroller but not something I would use regular.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: No stroller?

• You can always get one later. We didn't have a stroller until our first son was 6+ months, we just wore him.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• We rarely use our stroller when going out. I would always wear DH, or let him sit in the cart once he was old enough.

We do use our stroller quite a bit for walking around the neighborhood, though. I wore him on our walks when he was little, but he really started to like sititng in the stroller and being able to look around. We also take the stroller to the musuem, zoo, fair, etc. It's definitely helpful for us, but not something that is needed right away.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Every baby is different. Your new baby may not like to be worn. Or keeping up with your older child proves to be difficult while wearing your baby. I wouldn't forego a stroller completely at this point. Don't make any decisions until you see how things go with the new baby.
  • We only use the stroller for dog walking (twice a day). We have a small dog and many neighborhood dogs are off-leash. Our dog has been attacked twice, which would have been dangerous to mediate wearing a baby. Thus, examine how you plan to manage the baby stuff and two kids. 

Otherwise, we do (and have done) everything without the stroller.  DD just turned 2 and she mostly prefers to walk or ride on my hip carrier. 
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Couldn't have done anything w/o a stroller, but I had twins so it's different. I'd still want to have one, even if it mostly lived in the back of the car or garage.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I never used one with DD2. I only used a double when she was around 6 months and DD1 was 2.
  • We have a stroller but we mostly just use it for big excursions where we have a lot of snacks/water to take with us. Or when its really hot out. We just did Craigslist for ours so I don't feel too bad about it not getting much use.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • neverblushedneverblushed member
    edited January 2015
    My kids were also 4 years apart.  I felt like the stroller was indispensable for big outings like zoo, fair, boardwalk at the beach, long walks around home -- not the least because I could stash supplies, purchases, and junk in or on the stroller.

The first time my family went to the beach for the weekend and my youngest  was old enough to hoof it all the way down the boardwalk and back, I really missed the stroller.  I had to carry all that junk!

ETA - I also felt like it set up a good "boundary" for my kids when they were older toddlers.  The stroller kept them physically confined and safe in a crowded situation at an age when they had enough  mobility to get away quickly, but not enough common sense/fear to stick with me.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I bought a used graco stroller/carseat combo off craigslist for $50. It was great to use when dd was sleeping in her carseat - I was able to just click the whole carseat into the stroller without waking her. I also used the stroller at the zoo, etc to put her if she got tired of me wearing her, and also to hold our stuff! I love the basket to keep water, sunscreen, lunch for a family of 5... I love babywearing, but I love having a stroller as well.
  • My two are exactly two years apart and I love that we don't have a stroller. My baby is 4 months and I wear him in a wrap or ring sling when we go out. My two year old walks typically when we go out- just did a zoo trip this week and it went great. She has never been in a stroller so she is used to walking everywhere. When I go on longer walks like to the grocery store or farther parks we take the balance bike or wagon.

I think it just comes down to persobal preference. I don't like strollers and find I can carry all my supplies in a purse or backpack. If you decide you want a stroller later you can always go get one but I find it very doable without.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"