Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Daily Routine?

So lately my 10 week has been going to bed at 1 and 2 am. It is really frustrating...so I goggled up having baby sleep though the night. They suggest doing a routine or schedule as it is says in the article. Does anyone follow a set schedule?

https://incredibleinfant.com/sleeping/baby-on-a-schedule/  ( link to that schedule )

I'm going to give it a try. so that way he would go to bed at a reasonable time.
       Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Daily Routine?

• leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    I don't follow strict times but some folks around here follow a fairly consistent (but still somewhat flexible) schedule. My 11 week old goes down for the night any time between 8-12 and I'm currently fine with that. She goes down earlier if she's full and the room is dim and quiet (not dead silent, but no TV or anything like that). I offer her formula during the day if she hasn't eaten for 3 hours, which is rare since she usually can't go much more than 2 hrs without fussing for a bottle. Of course if she doesn't want to eat I don't force it. She is exclusively formula fed. If she were breastfed I'd probably offer a feed every 2 hrs. since breastfed babies tend to need more frequent feedings. Some folks have had success following the EASY routine (eat->activity->sleep->you-time) so you can also look into that. It doesn't work for us but every baby/family is different.

• How long would you let her sleep during the day? Like a nap time? I'm keeping it to 1.5 hours but no more then 2.5 hours as suggested in the article.

There was a schedule before but i would let him sleep for as long as he could before waking.

• Loading the player...
  • My twins are 5.5 weeks and we sort of have a schedule- I mostly follow their lead but also reinforce parts of it/follow the easy method. For example, I want them to go to bed at the same time so I will enforce that part of the "schedule". Otherwise they have mostly fallen into a routine by themselves. Now that the holidays are over I am starting to implement one nap a day in their bassinets (rather than wherever) in hopes that it will be their long nap of the day. They always eat between 8-9 pm, so bedtime is immediately after that and we have a sort of routine we follow- eat, change, swaddle, bassinet. They seem to know that this is bedtime and it is their longest stretch of sleep of the day. I keep a log of their feedings because it's hard to keep track of two, and was just looking at it today to discern a pattern. It seems roughly like this:
    8/9am -feed,"up" for the day. Dozes on and off until next feed.
    10:30/11am -feed, awake for a little while
    11:30/12pm - long nap in bassinet
    1:30/2 pm - feed
    3:30/4:30 pm -feed
    6/6:30 pm -feed
    8/8:30 pm - feed and bedtime
    1/2am - feed
    5/6 am - feed and still bedtime
    8/9 am - feed and up for the day

They doze between feeds all day long, with only one longish nap a day at this point.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• leela02leela02 member
    edited December 2014
    grazia213 said:
    How long would you let her sleep during the day? Like a nap time? I'm keeping it to 1.5 hours but no more then 2.5 hours as suggested in the article.

There was a schedule before but i would let him sleep for as long as he could before waking.

I let her sleep for as long as she wants because she usually takes short naps (45 mins or so). Once in a while she'll take a 3-4 hr nap randomly and I just let her have it and get some chores done in the meantime. The exception is if she is sick and sleeping a lot but not eating much..then I'd check with the pediatrician if I need to wake her up to feed so that she doesn't get dehydrated.

She doesn't stay up all night if she naps a lot during the day, so I just let her sleep whenever. Maybe when she's older napping too long could mess with bedtime, but that's not an issue with her right now. I find that when I mess with her naps she gets fussy at bedtime.
  • I guess i have to kind of experiment with different ways.

I know I was letting him nap for however long during the day...but then it just started that he was wanting to go to bed at 1am instead of 10pm or even 11pm.

• Nicb13 said:
    grazia213 said:
    I guess i have to kind of experiment with different ways.

I know I was letting him nap for however long during the day...but then it just started that he was wanting to go to bed at 1am instead of 10pm or even 11pm.

That's all you can really do. Everything is basically trial and error but a well rested baby usually sleeps better at night so let your LO nap whenever he wants to and for as long as he wants to.

Some how we got lucky and DD goes to bed at 8 just like my toddler does. She takes 2 cat naps (45 minutes or so) in the morning, then a 2-3 hour nap in the afternoon and another cat nap before I start her bedtime routine around 7 or 7:30pm. Once she's out, she sleeps about 10-11 hours each night. She drinks probably 26-28oz of formula throughout the day and I make sure she's super full before bed.

That's really good.

I gave up on a scheduled routine. I'm just letting him sleep how ever long during the day.

I'm going to establish starting tonight (hopefully) a bedtime routine. I'm thinking that maybe he doesn't know the difference between bedtime and play time. so I'll give it a try.

trail and error as you said right?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"