May 2015 Moms
Options

Alt to meds

Hi everyone!  I don't post here often, but had a question for you:

I have been sick for the last few days and I had hoped it might end on its own, but alas, here I am with no voice, a swollen and sore throat and some chest congestion.  I don't feel bad, so I just want to try to fight the symptoms the best I can.  What can you recommend that is more natural than Robitussin?  My MW said Robitussin is safe, but I'm not a huge fan of meds during pregnancy, so I'm trying to fight it naturally.  I have honey for my throat, but that's as far as I my knowledge goes.

I should probably just suck it up and go to the doctor, but I have no time.  I'm working until 1 am this week (thank you lords of retail), so I try to rest whenever possible (meaning whenever my toddler does) to help my system fight this cold.

Thanks, everyone!!!

Re: Alt to meds

• Options
    Try hydrasence. It's a nasal spray but i find it clears out my sinuses and clears up a cold faster than on it's own.
    That and I swear by Sunny D.
  • Options
    I would just do the meds. I am currently taking Tylenol, robitussin, and sudafed for a terrible URI. The goal is to take care of myself now so that I hopefully don't get a secondary bacterial infection by waiting, like I did 3 weeks ago when I was sick. 

Feel better, whichever you choose. And you might want to stay home from work to help to break the cycle of infection and to rest. It was my sick coworkers that put me in this situation again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone!  I've been taking the Robitussin at night, so I'm not up all night coughing, but I'm gathering it might be a good idea to just run the course with the meds.  And hopefully be better in time for Christmas!!

Thanks again!

• Options
    Do you have a humidifier? I've been running mine at night and sleeping while sleeping upward and it's been helping with my congestion and sore throat. My throat has been sore at night since I'm mouth breathing and the humidifier helps dramatically.

BFP #1: 8/17/13     Due Date: 4/26/14      MMC discovered @ 9w 4d       D&C: 10/2/13
    BFP #2: 12/23/13       Due Date: 9/6/14      MMC discovered @ 8w 5d    D&C: 2/6/14
    BFP #3 8/26/14     Due Date: 5/7/15  

imageimage

• Options
    You wouldn't be able to start this immediately but have you ever thought about trying essential oils? I have been experiencing reoccurring bouts of sore throats and feeling like I'm coming down with a cold but when I use EO's the symptoms go away quicker than they would without. I use lemon and lavender with a teaspoon of honey for a sore throat and use a combo of EO in a roller ball and diffuser.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"