Pre-School and Daycare
Options

inviting my DD to baby shower

I was invited to DH's cousin's bridal shower 2 years ago.  There were 3 other little girls who were about 5 at the time, DH's cousin's nieces and the flower girls.  It was outside so the girls could run around and play.  I just got invited to this woman's baby shower.  It's at a restaurant, I don't know if the other little girls will be there.  DH is taking DS to a monster truck rally and I'm not going to bother asking my mom to watch DD so I can go to a shower that I don't really care if I attend.  My MIL and 2 of my SILs will probably be going to the shower.  Should I just say I can't go or should I, or MIL, mention that DH isn't around so would it be ok for me to bring DD?  She's 4 and if the other little girls are there she'd have a great time, but either way she's pretty well behaved.  I just don't want to be one of those people who invited extra people when I'm the only one who was invited. 

Re: inviting my DD to baby shower

• Options
    If it were me, I wouldn't ask.  When you RSVP you could say the reason is because you have no one to watch your DD that day and see if they extend the invite to her. 
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Options
    If the shower were at a person's home, I'd say ask if it's okay to ask permission to bring her.  Since it's at a restaurant, I would not do that because it could put the hostess in an awkward position.  Bringing a child to a restaurant event means adding an extra seat at a table and it also means a hostess will have to foot the bill for your child's meal.  Also, it's one thing to bring a preschool-aged child to a shower in a home, where she can run around and play with other children.  It's entirely different to bring a preschooler to a shower at a restaurant where she'll have to sit still and be on her best behavior for a relatively long chunk of time.

If you don't have a babysitter, just politely decline this invite.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Well if you don't care to go anyway, sounds like you have a good excuse to say no! Sorry, but no you don't invite your child to someone else's party. Get a sitter or don't go.
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"