July 2014 Moms

Is it just me or is this ridiculous....

So I am partially just venting, but my cousin is having a baby shower for her third child.  She is having a boy and has already had a boy.  She had showers for the previous two.  Her other two are under the age of 4.  This baby wasn't a surprise, so its not like they were done with having kids so they should have kept things.  

I'm totally ok if it was just like a diapers/wipes or other necessities that get used up type of shower but she has things on there that she should still have - highchair, bathtub, playmat, babywrap, diaper bag, towels, wash cloths, etc. 

I know I can always just not go, but its my cousin and we get along otherwise.  

Where I am from showers for second babies are normal - but this is taking it too far. 

Re: Is it just me or is this ridiculous....

• I don't get any of it, regardless of little things like diapers or wipes. She needs to buy her own essentials for the third kid.

I hope you call her on it.
  • Loading the player...
  • This is what I'm afraid of with my SIL. She has an almost 1 yr old and has been getting rid of her baby stuff. This baby was a surprise she wasn't ready for so a lot of people gave her things they were done with. It drives me crazy that she turns around and sells her stuff and then will talk about future kids when she eventually gets married. I've already thrown her one baby shower I don't want to throw another or buy her more stuff someday. She also has a basement to store everything so just keep it or give it back to the person who gave it to you. If they don't want it then donate to someone else that is in financial hardship like you were.

Ugh. I would probably just buy her diapers and wipes or bath soap since I'm assuming you've already been to two other showers.
    First Baby and a complete surprise.
    Hubby has decided to be team green so we are driving friends and family crazy!
  • Don't go.  It's that simple.  If they ask why, and you don't want to be harsh with the truth (multiple showers are tacky), then just say you have another commitment.  She doesn't have to know what it is, even if it's just catching up on your favorite TV show.
  • @mamalacy21 Her mother has hosted them all. 

I am most likely going to go - but I am only getting diapers and wipes. 

• My SIL is way outspoken and super entitled she's having her second, another boy and she'll have 2 under 2. Aside from a double stroller I keep thinking what could she possibly need? Either way she's registered though I doubt she'll get anyone to throw her another shower. I'll prob get her a gift card and call it a day. But yea that kinda thing annoys the hell out of me too.
  • Ah.. I am having a second child, and I've told my sister in law and friend that I'm not having a second baby shower, because most consider it tacky.. And I felt kind of sad because as lovely as my first shower was, everyone told me not to get big ticket items, coz others would, and when my shower came around almost no one came and I didn't even get anything I registered for or needed most (though I was grateful for every gift). I had a panic attack because I had no idea how we were going to get by AND my baby was born days later. My friend and sister and law have both protested and said I am having another shower, if they have to host it themselves. I guess that makes me tacky too...
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I was recently invited to a shower for a fourth baby (third girl) where the mom specifically asked for Amazon gift cards and winter clothes. Her youngest just turned 2 so I know she still has everything because they were definitely not planning on being done. Granted, we live in Hawaii and her youngest has never needed winter clothes (they're moving back to the mainland soon), but they used to live in Okinawa, so I know her oldest girl wore winter clothes. I had to politely decline the invitation. I knew I couldn't contain my side eye.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is it inappropriate to have a full blown shower for a second child when one wasn't throw for the first?
    July BMB 2016 July siggy challenge

• jwittwer said:

Is it inappropriate to have a full blown shower for a second child when one wasn't throw for the first?

Yes. And yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"