February 2015 Moms
Options

Crib Mattress decisons

I'm overwhelmed with all of the options out there (and so many options for stores in our area) and I only found one other barely discussed thread on these, and I'm hoping more of us have done our researching/choosing/using by now and can add more here.

How have you chosen your baby's crib mattress? --standard size crib--

Moms that have used them already, which did you use? Glad you chose it?

(It's been 10+ years since I bought one and can't for the life of me remember any method to choosing. Thank you!)

Re: Crib Mattress decisons

• Options
    We went for the naturepedic 2 in 1 for my son in 2013. It's 2-in-1 because it has a firmer infant side and a more cushy toddler side. We bought it at BBB with a coupon if I remember correctly.

We like it! As a toddler he seems cozy on the toddler side.

It's a little pricier but we try to avoid chemical flame retardants when we can so that narrowed it down quite a bit for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lullaby Earth - made by the same company as naturepedic just as safe but much cheaper

2 stage goes for 199 and its only 7lbs

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IVF#1 - BFP 6/18/13 - Tommy born sleeping 10/1/13

IVF#2 - BFN

IVF#3 - BFP 6/5/14 EDD 2/14/15 TWIN BOYS  - MATTHEW AND TIMOTHY ARRIVE 12/2/14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I went to Lucies's list.com for reviews and basically she said cheap. They are all and pretty much the same for infants.

I did get a 2 in1 mattress so we can hopefully use it a little longer as a toddler mattress.
    Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    I had to purchase a new crib mattress for our third bc I got a borrowed a crib from a friend and they still needed their mattress and my crib I sent to my parents for using there and for my sister to use there too.

I narrowed my search by only looking at the mattresses that were totally waterproof. If it was fabric it was a no. After two kids I know how much they get spit up on, drooled on, and puked on and diaper blow
    Outs/leaking on and I wanted one that I could totally just wipe down with vinegar and water.

I've never had a problem and the one I bought for $99.00 eight years ago is still just as good as it was the day I bought it so I went with the same this time.

Don't get pulled in by the marketing gimicks that tug at your new mom heart strings. You don't need the fancy expensive organic million coil mattress.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Get a firm waterproof one. Make sure it fits snugly in your crib with no spaces.
    BFP #1: It's a GIRL! DD born October, 2012
    BFP #2: m/c at 7w, February, 2014
    BFP #3: It's a BOY! Please be our rainbow! Due February, 2015

*everyone always welcome*
    image    image   image
  • Options
    triplej9triplej9 member
    edited December 2014
    I had a Naturepedic with DS and it was fantastic. We bought the waterproof cover to go with it and have had zero issues. I think we bought the classic version. 

We will be using it again with this LO. 

ETA: I'm not sure if Lullaby Earth that PP posted about was around when we were buying... but that sounds like a good deal!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I got a Safety 1st mattress (2-in-1 infant/toddler) from Amazon. It was around $60 and had enough good reviews that I wasn't worried about buying a super 'cheap' mattress. 
    Roslin Liora -- Due 2/8/15
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Anniversary
    image     image     image
  • Options
    Sealy 2 in 1, waterproof
    It was around $125 and we bought it at PBK
    *******Siggy Warning*******

*Married since 11/20/10*
    *TTC since 1/12*
    *Me - PCOS * DH - Azoo*
    *IUI clomid 5/13 - BFN*
    *IUI clomid 6/13 - BFN*
    *IUI clomid 7/13 - Cancelled due to poor response*
    *IUI follistim 9/13 - Cancelled due to over response*
    *IVF #1 - 13R, 5M, 4F, 2 transferred on day 3 - BFN & nothing to freeze*
    *IVF #2 - 7R, 4M, 4F, 2 transferred on day 3 - BFP!!!!*
    *Beta #1 15dp3dt >2,000, Beta #2 21dp3dt >17,000!*
    *U/S on 6/27/14 @ 6w4d - 2 sacs, 1 HB found @ 125bpm!*
    *First OB appt 7/24/14*

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Get organic! I purchased one for $150 has 2 in 1 options for firm side and softer side. This mattress is amazing with no harsh chem smell after taking out if package. I'm so happy with my purchase on overstock.com
  • Options
    mali3mali3 member
    edited December 2014
    I'm with @Angeldcf‌ . Got a cheap sealy or serta for like $70...no one has complained about back pain here either lol

I got it when my 7 year old was born. Worked fine for her, worked fine for my 2nd and will, I am sure, work fine for my 3rd. I don't think a baby or toddler knows enough to tell you if they prefer firm or soft beds... so go with whatever you want.

But, def Buy a nice waterproof cover.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Thanks gals. I seriously don't remember putting all that much effort into finding them before. I will check on all of these!

And yes, I'm going to put waterproof mattress pad and then a couple layers of sheets and sheet protectors for this middle of the night sheet changes.
  • Options
    Consumer Reports has a pretty good buying guide. 

I'm planning to get the Colgate 2-N-1 Innerspring Crib Mattress
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"