Baby Names
Options

Month Names

I tried to search this because I feel like I've seen this discussed before but I couldn't find anything. Anyway we've been planning for almost a year to name our first baby boy Augustus or August with the nn Gus. We just recently found out that we are now expecting in August 2015. So BNB what's your opinion on sharing a name with the month you are born in?

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

Re: Month Names

• Options
    Eh. I think it's up to you.
    I don't have a strong opinion on it either way.
  • Options
    I always thought it was weird to name your baby a month that they weren't born in but I don't think it matters much either way.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's funny to me that people think this is weird when the names themselves usually mean "born in..." whatever month. It's a non issue to me. If you love the name, use it.
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    I prefer Augustus to August and love the Nn Gus. I would not name my son August if his birthday is in August. I don't think using Augustus is as much of an issue though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm sure when he has to list his full name and birthdate some people may comment about him being an August with an August birthday, but otherwise, it's not an issue at all for me.
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Options
    Congratulations! I love it and would use it regardless of the month.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Options

I prefer Augustus to August.  It was on our list if we ever had a boy.

To me, the only time I find it creepy is when they are named after the month they were conceived in.  No kid wants to talk about their parents having sex.

• Options
    I love the name August NN Gus. I wouldn't use it for an August baby though, it's not the worst thing because it's still an awesome name but I wouldn't do it.
  • Options
    brose1117 said:

I prefer Augustus to August and love the Nn Gus. I would not name my son August if his birthday is in August. I don't think using Augustus is as much of an issue though.

^^ This.
  • Options

i like august, i think you should go with it!

just a note never to use the name april for a girl. my next-door-neighbor's granddaughter was named april and when i was little i thought her name was "ape girl."

TTC #2 since 8/2012

IUI #1 April 2014: BFN

IUI #2 July 2014: BFN

IUI #3 August 2014: BFN

BFP: September 15, due May 22nd 2015

• Options

^^ This.
    I agree with the above. Augustus would be my vote and I don't think it is at all associated with the month.
    For August, I would be uncomfortable. But I have a cousin named Summer who was born in the winter and the fact that his name is a different season from his birthday was mostly a non-issue.
  • Options
    I would still use it, especially if you've had it picked out from the start. I wouldn't change it just because your due then. It's a great name!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your opinions! We've been leaning more toward Augustus and my FI thinks it's a non-issue!

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• Options
    I don't like it, its a bit weird and a target for him to be made fun of later in life. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    zitrone said:

brose1117 said:

^^ This.

I agree with the above. Augustus would be my vote and I don't think it is at all associated with the month.
    For August, I would be uncomfortable. But I have a cousin named Summer who was born in the winter and the fact that his name is a different season from his birthday was mostly a non-issue.

Wait. You have a boy cousin named Summer?
    Started adoption process in Jan. 2011.
    3 failed matches in 2012.
    Surprise pregnancy in Aug. 2012.
    Precious baby boy "HC" born May 2013.
    Began researching EA in 2014.
    No longer pursuing EA due to fibroid complications.
    Officially on the adoption home study wait list.

• Options
    First of all, congratulations!

I personally think it's really hokey for the birth month and name to match. Sorry. But that would only bother me if the name was August. I think Augustus (especially with NN Gus) is fine in August.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thumbs down to month names, especially if the child is born in that month.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I prefer August to Augustus. I have a second cousing named Augustin with the nn Gus.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I also prefer August. I like the nn Gus or Auggie (but I may be watching too much Covert Affairs so it grew on me)
  • Options

I guess I'm in the minority that I find it weirder when the baby is NOT born in the month they're named after. We're considering June if we have a girl, and deliver in June. Would not name her that if she's born in May ;)

I totally agree! And we toyed around with a name that would have the NN of May for our daughter who was due May 20 but born in June! Glad we went with CHARLOTTE...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I prefer Augustus over August no matter what month he's born in. The nn Gus is adorable.
  • Options
    I love Gus! I agree with PPs that said it is stranger to have a month name and not be born in that month. I knew an April that was born in November and thought it was strange!
    Lilypie - (bDmZ)Lilypie - (SUYh)
    image imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"