Baby Names

Boy name opinions/suggestions

mlbrooks619mlbrooks619 member
edited December 2014 in Baby Names
we just found out we are having a boy, this is our first baby. We ideally want to use a somewhat family oriented name but we are open to suggestions. Here is our top choice:

Bryson Eugene (both FN and MN are family oriented) we are pretty set on this unless we hear of another name we just love.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Boy name opinions/suggestions

• I like Eugene I have an uncle Eug (yuh-j) and he's the greatest funniest person so that name only brings fond memories/associations
  • Family name or not, please not Bryson for a first name

Did original Bryson have a middle name? What about using the B ? 
    Even Brian would be better (though to me it is a farmer's name) but I do have a soft spot for it

• Loading the player...
  • I think I like Eugene as the first name more. Bryson is eh.
  • I think I like Eugene as the first name more. Bryson is eh.

Even Brian would be better (though to me it is a farmer's name) but I do have a soft spot for it
    Why opposed to Bryson?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What do you mean by "family oriented"? What are the family names/members you're trying to honor?

Bryson is NMS & I despise Eugene....

Why opposed to Bryson?
    Becuse it is a horrible name 

• mlbrooks619mlbrooks619 member
    edited December 2014
    Bryson is a small town where all of DH family is from and have strong family ties to. Eugene is my grandfathers name and my dads middle name.

Eugene is a very old fashioned name and I would never want to call our child Eugene by first name but we both want names with meaning and Eugene is a very meaningful name to us.

If you ladies don't like our top choice, let's hear some suggestions or names you like. Doesn't have to be middle name, first name suggestions is fine

@mangomimosa‌ forgot to tag you in answering your q.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't really like either name but if they have lovely family meaning to you then you should call your child them! I have a few boys names but once again it's your baby so name him what you want....there will always be people that dislike the name you choose!
  • ramy3 said:

I don't love Bryson, but I think Eugene is a great name.

What about

Ethan
    Grant
    Benjamin
    Nolan
    Brendan
    Byron
    Donovan
    Eamonn
    Collin
    Connor
    Ronan
    Ewan
    Landon
    I like Grant! I also like Graham and Carter. But DH hates Carter and is just so-so on Graham. Thanks for the suggestions!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't see anything wrong with either. Bryson sounds fine to me, and Eugene is a very traditional name in many cultures.
  • Bryson is a small town where all of DH family is from and have strong family ties to. Eugene is my grandfathers name and my dads middle name. Eugene is a very old fashioned name and I would never want to call our child Eugene by first name but we both want names with meaning and Eugene is a very meaningful name to us. If you ladies don't like our top choice, let's hear some suggestions or names you like. Doesn't have to be middle name, first name suggestions is fine @mangomimosa‌ forgot to tag you in answering your q.
    You are not David Beckham or Ron Howard - do not name your child after a place

Eugene as a MN is fine, with meaning even better. 

I'm guessing you don't like "old fashioned" names and do not want a name that is common. 

Riley 
    Ethan 
    Rhodri
    Neil
    Ciaran
    Julian
    Stanley
    Kane
    Roman
    Federico
    Magnus
    Kyril
    Brian
    Rodric
    Christian
    Gareth 
    Gethin

Would add more, but I need a wee

• Hmm. Well, IMO Bryson would be ok considering the meaning of it to your family. I think it's totally ok to name your child after a place that has a lot of personal/family meaning. Now - naming your kid London because London is just soooo cool -- that's different. 

That aside, Bryson is still NMS. No one except the family will know it's a small town; it'll just be the name Bryson to everyone else. If you like it, go for it. To me, it sounds kind of trashy because of some associations I have with it. I dislike similar names, too -- Brice, Brian... bleh. 

Maybe use Bryson as a MN? I can't brain today so I have no suggestions for FN's.

• Thanks for the feedback @mangomimosa‌ I totally understand the having bad associations with names, have a few of them myself.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't like Bryson just because it sounds very trendy. I like Bryce a little better. Eugene is nice in the middle spot.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I am really surprised that Bryson comes across as trendy, we definitely aren't into really trendy names. Its not in the top 100 popular name lists I've seen and I've only heard of one other person named that. Have you guys seen it a lot?

I do like Grant. Now only if we can find someone in the family with that name and I get DH on board it would be a high contender.

Thanks ladies!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ahhhh gotcha @viola27‌ I see what you're saying.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Joy2611 said:

Ahhhh gotcha @viola27‌ I see what you're saying.

And I'll add "random last name as a first name" trend.

It's not the actual name, but the categories it falls in.
    Oh this never occurred to me... I've never heard of it as a last name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Bryson is nms. Eugene is perfect in the MN spot.

Don't put pressure on yourself the have both the FN and MN honor family. You can't honor everybody with one baby and it is okay to have a FN that you both just like on its own merits.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I adore Eugene. I'm not a fan of Bryson.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• I actually LOVE Eugene for the first name. Makes me think of little Gene on Mad Men :)

Also, I dated a Bryson in middle school. Weird name! I would go middle name if you use it, because I like the meaning.

Eugene Bryson is my vote!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Eugene may not be 80 now- but how weird is an 80 year old names Brycen! So reclaim it! Make him your mischievous little old man! And like @carolyngrace I immediately was reminded of MadMen and shortening it to Gene which is awesome. Mean Gene!
  • I don't love Bryson, but I think Eugene is a great name.

What about

Ethan
    Grant
    Benjamin
    Nolan
    Brendan
    Byron
    Donovan
    Eamonn
    Collin
    Connor
    Ronan
    Ewan
    Landon
    I like Grant! I also like Graham and Carter. But DH hates Carter and is just so-so on Graham. Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Grant is great. I like Grant Eugene much more than Bryson. Bryson is just so dated IMO.
  • I can't say I personally like either of the names myself, but if you like them and the meaning is important,go for it. I don't have a problem with people and places sharing names(I like Brooklyn as a girl's name -don't kill me I would use it) so it being a town wouldn't be weird to me. My hangup would be if you or your family live in the town now and would visit it or talk about it frequently. I don't want to pick names that are also part of everyday language in our house. But meaning is not the biggest deal to me.
    Displaying _20140730_065450.JPG Z0EY
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • j&jNY said:
    I can't say I personally like either of the names myself, but if you like them and the meaning is important,go for it. I don't have a problem with people and places sharing names(I like Brooklyn as a girl's name -don't kill me I would use it) so it being a town wouldn't be weird to me. My hangup would be if you or your family live in the town now and would visit it or talk about it frequently. I don't want to pick names that are also part of everyday language in our house. But meaning is not the biggest deal to me.
    Yeah it would be weird if they lived in the town. But only DH grandmother still lives there. Town isn't just called "Bryson" either it has a second part to the name.. so wouldn't be too redundant in language. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"