LGBT Parenting
Options

Having the "Talk" with your kids (no... not the birds & the bees ;-) )

My wife EV and I have probably mentioned on a couple of occasions to our now 2.5 year old that he has a donor.  But it was only in passing and probably at times when he didn't really understand or listen.  Well the other evening after spending some time with our Known Donor E, we sat Kaden down and explained that E was his donor, and that E gave a piece of himself to us to help us make our little Kaden. It was a superficial introduction and a little awkward and sweet.  But EV and I did it on the fly without rehearsed script or language.  I'm just wondering how other people that have used donor sperm/eggs/surrogates explain/introduce their kiddos creation story?  What about props (as in a scrapbook, or photos, etc?)

Re: Having the "Talk" with your kids (no... not the birds & the bees ;-) )

• Options
    Following. I've been curious about this as well. Also in the case of donor siblings as we are in touch via fb with two of our daughters donor siblings (twins).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have talked about this at length between us and with our donor. He and his wife have a son so Adalyn has a half sibling. I'm not sure when we will discuss it with her, but I'm sure it will be an ongoing discussion.
    @Jazibel‌ how are you planning on handling the half sibling discussions?
    T & G My wife and I married 9/10/11 in Niagara Falls, NY
    HSG 12/12/12        
    #1 ICI 12/15/12              BFN on 12/29/12
    #2 ICI  1/11/13                BFN 1/28/13                       
    #3 ICI 2/11/13                 BFN

#4 ICI August 2013,  Clomid 100mg    BFN on 8/30/13 
    #5 ICI September-Clomid 100,  mg ICI 8/15 and 8/16,  BFN on 9/3
    #6 ICI October-Clomid 150 mg for 5 days   BFN 10/27
    uterine laparoscopy on 11/14-no endo or cysts
    #7 IUI December-Clomid 150mg    BFP 12/21
    12/23 Beta 51     12/26 Beta 209!
    First ultrasound on January 8th 2014-great healthy heartbeat
    Second Ultrasound January 23 (8 weeks) we got to see and hear the heartbeat
    Third Ultrasound Feb 4th(10 weeks), then will  released to OBGYN'
    It's a GIRL!
    We welcomed Adalyn Cooper Elizabeth on 8/29/14
    She was 7lbs 11oz and 19.6 inches long

Proud foster parents to two little girls ages 2.5 yrs old, M,  and 1 year old, K

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @trisholio - so far we've been talking about our friends two daughters (only the youngest is a half-sibling) as cousins. We figure that's a family relationship without having to explain (just yet) the sibling relationship.  We will one day explain that H (and potentially an other kids) are half-siblings. How are you going to address it with both M & K and the half-sibling?

• Options
    We really haven't. We are approaching the time when we need to start having the real birds and bees conversation - and we'll put in our portion when we have that. We have a bunch of 1/2 siblings - but have no interest to reach out to them and the decision to do so will be up to the kids when they are older.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"