January 2015 Moms
Options

The things I actually used

I thought since we have been home a couple of days I'd post what I actually used at the hospital.
I had a RCS but we did not make it to RCS date.
-chap stick
-Shower products (my hospital would have provided them but I choose to use my own)
-tooth brush
-phone charger
-going home outfit
-nursing bra
-Hair ties
-baby take home out fit and seat

I stayed in my hospital gown because it was so much easier to be checked. Used the underwear they gave me( even brought some home) and wasn't interested in much else
image image  image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: The things I actually used

• Options
    Awesome thread. Thanks for sharing
  • Options
    Sounds like what I used at my first labour with DS but I would add that we took drinking boxes, fruit to go bars and I believe granola bars and ate a bunch of them! The hospital did provide some meals but they were typical hospital food and nothing for DH so we would split the meal and eat snacks too!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My hospital provided food and snacks for me I did share with DH but I also made sure to have singles for DH in case he wanted something diffrent. We lived very close to the hospital(10 min) so DH did go home during the day to shower, change and check on DS. He usually ate there just because he was home but he did check out he cafeteria which was reasonably priced

image image  image BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, I literally used everything the hospital gave me besides shampoo, soap, and my hair tie. Not sure why I packed a bag, honestly.
    They don't provide us with as much up here in Canada, I don't think.
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    Although I managed the first time around without it, I think I will take my nursing pillow if I remember to at the time. That's really just because I'm lazy though :)
  • Options
    The only thing I'd add that was a life saver was the hands free support for pumping since my little one wasn't able to breastfeed right away so I pumped so she could still have my milk from a bottle.
  • Options
    CanukMamCanukMam member
    edited December 2014

Yeah, I literally used everything the hospital gave me besides shampoo, soap, and my hair tie. Not sure why I packed a bag, honestly.

Quote fail------

I wasn't provided with shower necessities. We will be going for a RCS and also found we didn't use much the first time around. I will be bringing the OPs list plus Powerade/water bottle, a few granola bars/snacks and a pillow for DH, and my camera. The hospital (in Canada) does provide some diapers/wipes but I will be bringing my own, they also provide underwear/pads, etc.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    One thing I took with DS2 and DS3 that I LOVED was my own pillow.  I will be bringing another one with this LO.  It just made the stay a little more comfortable than having to sleep on the plastic pillows they give you.

I completely agree with your list as well.  I WAY over packed with DS1 and drastically paired it down for the other two.  I wore the gown, but I also wore pajama pants under it.  Made me feel not so naked.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I got out of the hospital gown and into a nursing tank and yoga pants ASAP. I'm so glad I brought them. Other than my toiletries, I haven't needed anything else.
  • Options
    Thanks for these ladies! I will be revisiting my hospital bag. Im just nervous abt not making it to my RCS date

i love you, my little mooncake mahal kita

imageimageimage
  • Options
    I would add flip flops/ shower shoes and your own pillow. Those 2 things were invaluable!
  • Options
    I bought slippers with a Velcro resizable top but still couldn't strap them over my swollen feet after my RCS! Ended up wearing my summer sandals that had a very large resizable strap.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I also was topless most if my stay and lived in my robe
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Nursing pillow is a good idea. My son was the in the icy and there was always a shortage on pillows. The other thing I packed was a maternity belt in case I had a c section.
  • Options
    Sorry nicu not icy
  • Options
    ---------- I'm surprised! Id think they would. I packed tons because I'm generally an overpacker but once I saw how bloody everything gets, I'm glad they gave me everything.
    Free health care and all that :)
    (Zoe Claire- born at 33.6 weeks- November 19, '14 - 5lbs 15oz)
  • Options
    Unfortunately in Canada they don't provide you with much. We went to birthing education classes at my hospital and learned that they will sell you everything- you can purchase a hospital pack for the baby for 20 bucks that includes diapers, wipes and a baby hat and for additional 20 bucks one for the mother which includes the giant pads, maxi pads, mesh undies, reusable cup and the bottle to clean yourself. I checked in every drug store in the city and online and cannot find these giant pads and mesh undies anywhere, so I'll have no choice but to purchase from the hospital :(
  • Options
    Yea and btdt mom it's not free stuff at hospital they charge your insurance and it goes to your bill. My ins pays 80% and I pay 20% so I double checked the final bill and I told them I didn't want extra stuff if I already brought some-like baby diapers-and they took it off my bill.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's not always the case. Working for an insurance company the items put in the room are usually lumped together as room essentials. There is usually one ICD-9 code for these items. So the hospital would not be able to take off diapers as it's one charge. They might have taken something else off the bill to work with you.

Agreeing with other posters yes I only used the bare minimum. I used my own shampoo and soap. But I wore the hospital gown and used all the hospital stuff provided.
  • Options
    Valm999 said:

Unfortunately in Canada they don't provide you with much. We went to birthing education classes at my hospital and learned that they will sell you everything- you can purchase a hospital pack for the baby for 20 bucks that includes diapers, wipes and a baby hat and for additional 20 bucks one for the mother which includes the giant pads, maxi pads, mesh undies, reusable cup and the bottle to clean yourself. I checked in every drug store in the city and online and cannot find these giant pads and mesh undies anywhere, so I'll have no choice but to purchase from the hospital :(

Canadian here! After I had DS my midwife told me to take all the mesh underwear and frozen pads that were in the room and ask for more from the nurses (the nurses may have even offered to get me more I can't remember) but I still have some of the giant pads and underwear that I didn't use from my last baby. But you do need your own toiletries and hair bush etc. They do have diapers and baby soap because the nurses show you how to bath the baby before you leave (we were there for less then 24 hours so baby only had one bath) but we had our own clothes for baby and I don't remember them saying we needed to buy any pack of any sort. What province are you in? Perhaps it's different from ontario :)
  • Options
    jmcmoe said:

Valm999 said:

Canadian here! After I had DS my midwife told me to take all the mesh underwear and frozen pads that were in the room and ask for more from the nurses (the nurses may have even offered to get me more I can't remember) but I still have some of the giant pads and underwear that I didn't use from my last baby. But you do need your own toiletries and hair bush etc. They do have diapers and baby soap because the nurses show you how to bath the baby before you leave (we were there for less then 24 hours so baby only had one bath) but we had our own clothes for baby and I don't remember them saying we needed to buy any pack of any sort. What province are you in? Perhaps it's different from ontario :)
    I live in ON. No idea how it's actually going to be while admitted at the hospital so I'm only going by the info we recieved at childhood education classes. I really hope It's not like that once admitted.
  • Options
    I am Canadian (BC) and they pretty much provided me with everything I needed, so it must vary hospital to hospital. We had shampoo and soap for toiletries, a fridge full of snacks and juice, diapers and wipes for baby, lanolin for my sore nipples, breast pump etc. Really the only thing that I forgot and the hospital didn't provide were nursing pads. I had an extended stay with DD in the nicu so my milk was in and I definitely needed them :)
  • Options
    The only thing that cost money was cable tv
  • Options
    tanya_erintanya_erin member
    edited December 2014
    Bc here too, and everything was provided. Mom stuff and baby stuff. Mesh undies, frozen post partum pads, peri bottles, diapers, wipes, everything. Except toiletries and shampoo.

Edit :: Provided, as in free. We didn't have to pay for anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"