January 2015 Moms
Options

STMs pitocin with no epi? UPDATE

womberptyof4womberptyof4 member
edited December 2014 in January 2015 Moms
Any STM who were induced with pitocin able to have the baby without an epidural? I had a bad experience with my first one and want to avoid having an epidural this time but am worried about the intensity of contractions with pitocin. Anyone have success with this??

*** I went in for induction on Sunday night...was placed on pitocin at 7 am...water was broken at 10 am was still 3 cm at 4:30 and had a baby without epidural at 6:23 pm last night (12/22) weighing 5 lbs 6 oz and it was the absolute worst pain I have ever been in but it can be done! Lol.

Re: STMs pitocin with no epi? UPDATE

• Options
    I've heard of it being done...but I never attempted(always got the epi when i was ready and needed it).
  • Options
    I couldn't do it with my first. I had already been in labor for a long time and then DD wasn't born until 18 hours after pitocin was started. My mom and a friend both were induced and within 3 hours had given birth, so I think if you progress quick it can be done. If it's a marathon probably not. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom did it with my brother, but she says they had to stop the pitocin because she contracted too hard on lowest dose, so I dont know how long she was on pit before stopping it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    TXUltraRunnerTXUltraRunner member
    edited December 2014
    Even without pitocin I couldn't have done it without walking. I was strapped to a monitor but I paced and paced in circles on that leash. Just be clear with everyone about what you want and expect

TTC since August 2011 Me: 31 DH: 33
    May-September 2012: Monitored cycles with Letrozole
    October 2012: Cancelled IUI
    April 2014: IVF #1 w/ ICSI
    ER: 4/15 ET: 4/20 Beta #1 4/29: 54 Beta#2 5/1: 90 
    1st ultrasound: 5/13 (6w1d): HB 103 2nd Ultrasound: 5/22 (7w3d) HB 151

• Options
    I did with my first. Actually all have been med free aside from pitocin with my first. Labour was 3.5 days it is do able. Just depends how your tolerance to pain is. And for me the fear of an epidural was more than the pain
  • Options
    With my first I was induced the night before with cervadil and started pitocin that am and my son was here at 3:45 that day after 14 min of pushing if I can beat this record I am hoping to steer clear of the epidural I did not like the way it made me feel and it didn't even work...not worth it to me
  • Options
    I've heard of it happening, but it didn't work with me.  DD wouldn't stay on monitors enough for them to let me move around or for them to get a good enough pattern to let me off the fetal monitors.  15 hours into my pitocin drip, I needed the epidural-- and progressed from a 4 to a 10 within 1 or 2 hours of getting the epi after taking the 15 hours to get to the 4....

The woman I heard of it working with is a person I know IRL, so I believe it can happen, but I will probably get the epi sooner this time if I need to be induced again.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My water broke at 1 am, pit started at 8 am, tried to make it without the epi, but around 3 pm I caved, which I wish I hadn't. Right after the epi they checked me and I was at a 9. If I had just held on a little longer I maybe could have done without...
    But in the long run, i had a pretty gnarley tear and broke my tailbone while pushing, so I can only imagine the pain without the epi....
    But my cousin had the pit without the epi, and she did fine. She does say pit is liquid devil though lol
  • Options
    I did it with my first. I was 18 when I had her and labor was 29.5 hours. I didn't go into it saying that I didn't want an epi. It just never happened.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My sister in law and I just talked about this today.
    Her water Broke on its own so they gave her Pitocin. She did it all natural, but said it was her worst labor experience.

She had all her kids pain med free, including a set of twins.

• Options
    I was induced with pit and avoided an epidural. You can do it! My L&D nurse also did it.

Once your labor has really kicked in you can ask that your dose be turned down if it's overly intense.
  • Options
    Got to 3 cm with the pit. But fwiw I was definitely not trying for a birth without the epi. I had a very rough time with the epi. The resident that tried first made 3 attempts to get it in and said three was her limit so they ended up getting the anesthesiologist who had it in in seconds. I am terrified of needles and the process took about 45 minutes and was the worst part of my labor.

They also did not tell me i could press a button for more meds and gave me far too small a dose for my height. I ended up with a Csec because i never progressed beyond 3 cm even after they broke my water. You can always go in and decide when you have reached your limit. My guess is that if the pain you are experiencing is too much, the bad experience you had with your first may very well be wiped from your mind.
  • Options
    Yesterday my friend delivered twins without an epi after having pitocin. She's a rock star. She was only on pitocin for 3 hours or so. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"