October 2014 Moms
Options

DD has lice. Halp!

Of the seven kids in my family, none of us ever had lice. I have never dealt with this. DD said her head itched, so I looked at her scalp, thinking we were dealing with dandruff. Gag! So many bugs crawling. I can't even. She of course burst into hysterics. Thank God that she has two weeks off from school to treat this without embarrassment.

Talk to me about non-RX treatments. I have no idea where to begin. Leave in treatments? Medicated shampoo? Oil and vinegar? All of the above in a giant lice genocide cocktail?? Does anyone have any experience in this area and can give me advice or suggestions?

Re: DD has lice. Halp!

• Options
    Getting a very fine toothed comb is key. Depending on her amount of hair section it off and go through it with the comb many many times! The OTC shampoos work well too (they usually include a good comb)

Good luck!
    January Snow Fail

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    In addition to the above. Wash all bedding, hats, jackets etc. Soak brushes and combs. Spray couches, mattresses and cars. Put pillows (couch and bed) in dryer on high heat and seal for a couple days in garbage bags. Rid has a good kit. Retreat in 7-10 days. Get a rombi hair zapper for daily prevention.

Alexander Flynn ~ September 24, 2014

Untitled

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Gag my niece had them too and my SIL could not get rid of the shit! Mayonnaise! She still can't eat mayo now...but it was seriously the only thing that worked! Also they hate coconut. Oh man I'm itching just thinking about it. So sorry for you guys!
  • Options
    swayda said:

In addition to the above. Wash all bedding, hats, jackets etc. Soak brushes and combs. Spray couches, mattresses and cars. Put pillows (couch and bed) in dryer on high heat and seal for a couple days in garbage bags. Rid has a good kit. Retreat in 7-10 days. Get a rombi hair zapper for daily prevention.

Spray the couches and cars with what?
  • Options

To be honest? Call the doctor.  Get a script.  The harder you can hit it before it spreads to anyone else in the family, the better.

The OTC treatments used to be ok, but apparently now a lot of the lice that kids get is resistant to it.
    Sklice is the one you want if you can get a script and your insurance will cover it (it is costly).

I won't even be able to call until Monday, and then with the holiday week, I don't even know if I can get an appointment. I am going to call, but I wanted to get started as soon as I could.
  • Options
    I had them as a kid (my whole class pretty much did one year!), and I remember my mom getting so frustrated that she threatened to cut my hair super short. Really traumatizing! Lol

i have no idea how to get rid of them, but FX for you!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I don't know much about lice. I do k ow from another forum that moms use Fairy Tails Lice Repellant Shampoo for the siblings. I've seen it at ulta.

• Options
    Yuck!! My niece gets it several times a year. The last time my brother took her to the "nit nannies". It's a franchise called lice lifters and they use a special comb that checks every hair. He said it's the only thing that fully gets them out. Not sure if they are near you but maybe look for something similar if not?

https://www.licelifters.com/
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options

Gag my niece had them too and my SIL could not get rid of the shit! Mayonnaise! She still can't eat mayo now...but it was seriously the only thing that worked! Also they hate coconut. Oh man I'm itching just thinking about it. So sorry for you guys!

I second the mayo!
  • Options
    FamousEa said:

ashie0610 said:

Yuck!! My niece gets it several times a year. The last time my brother took her to the "nit nannies". It's a franchise called lice lifters and they use a special comb that checks every hair. He said it's the only thing that fully gets them out. Not sure if they are near you but maybe look for something similar if not?

https://www.licelifters.com/

I've heard of things like this!! I cannot imagine why anyone would want to pick through someone's hair :open_mouth:
    Right?! They must make good money because who the hell would make that kind of career choice? Ick.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options

swayda said:

Spray the couches and cars with what?
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner, Rid has a kit with an upholstery spray.

Good Luck

Alexander Flynn ~ September 24, 2014

Untitled

• Options
    My dd had lice and it was disgusting. She has a ton of curly hair and I got the over the counter shampoo kit at walmart. It came with a comb and I brushed every bit of her hair. It took about two hours but it got them all. Then I bagged all her stuffed animals, pillows and blankets in two bags. You bag it, tie the bag and then put it top down in a second bag to suffocate the lice. Leave it for at least 24 hours and then wash it in hot water. I washed everything twice for good measure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"