Baby Names

Henry ______-EE

How do you guys feel about the FN and LN ending in the same sound? One of our top choices for a boy was/is Henry but out LN is two syllables ending with the long e (EE) sound. We nixed it the first time around and have an Owen but I still love the name.  It seems so rhimey. What do you guys think?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Henry ______-EE

• I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. Henry -EE isn't bad, if it were Henry -REE that would be an issue.
  • We have a Henry with a -ay last name.  I wasn't crazy about the sound of it at first, but DH had always wanted a Henry after his great grandpa so I got used to it.  I think it depends on how set you are on a fn and how much flow/sound matters to you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it necessarily matters - it depends on why the mn is important to you. If you are basing the mn solely on sound, I don't think it flows the best. If you are choosing a mn after a person who you would like to honor, then I think "flow" can take a back seat. I don't think my DD's first and middle names flow the best, but we were honoring our grandmothers when we named her, and that trumped a perfect, pretty sound for us.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How rhymey are we talking?

Henry Tenley - very bad

Henry Kelly - eh, not great but if you love it, sure.

My LN ends in son, so I know it's hard to pair up boys names with certain LNs.

Thanks for the input! It's more like Henry Kelly, ends with TEE. 
  • bowman958 said:
    I don't think it necessarily matters - it depends on why the mn is important to you. If you are basing the mn solely on sound, I don't think it flows the best. If you are choosing a mn after a person who you would like to honor, then I think "flow" can take a back seat. I don't think my DD's first and middle names flow the best, but we were honoring our grandmothers when we named her, and that trumped a perfect, pretty sound for us.
    I definitely agree about the MN choice. However, this would be a first name. Does that change your thoughts?
  • My maiden name ends in an -LEE sound and so does my first name. Different number of syllables and it didn't sound rhyming at all.

Funnily enough, my siblings both had names that ended in -EE with a last name that ends in -EE too. Not done on purpose. But unless you'd have to really think about it to see it.

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mangomimosamangomimosa member
    edited December 2014
    I married into this situation & really hate it. (Though literally anything was preferable to my maiden name.) I wouldn't do it to a kid, personally. We nixed all the -ey names for this reason.

eta - I think the # of syllables matters a lot. Henry Ramsey is a problem to me, Amelie Ramsey is not.
  • I think it's fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"