Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Let sick LO sleep or wake up to feed?

My 2 month old has a cold, hasn't been eating much, but sleeping a lot. She had started refusing the bottle so her doctor advised us to give her Tylenol so that she'll get comfortable enough to feed. The Tylenol helps with her eating but also seems to make her drowsy, so when she settles for a nap she is out for hours. I'm a FTM and not sure if I should wake her and try to feed her. She's eating less than usual but still has a lot of wet diapers. Her pedi said she just has a cold for now, no ear infection or other bad stuff fortunately.

Re: Let sick LO sleep or wake up to feed?

• Obviously check with pedi, but I would absolutely wake LO every 3 hours during the day to feed if he was sleeping. My DS (2 mos) sleeps 8-10 hours a night and is fine for weight, but I never let him go more than 3 hours during the day. I think at this age they need a min of 6 feedings a in 24 hours
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Definitely ask your pediatrician. My feeling is don't wake a sleeping baby. They will wake when hungry, with or without medication. But that's just me.
  • Loading the player...
  • VMRRN23 said:

Obviously check with pedi, but I would absolutely wake LO every 3 hours during the day to feed if he was sleeping. My DS (2 mos) sleeps 8-10 hours a night and is fine for weight, but I never let him go more than 3 hours during the day. I think at this age they need a min of 6 feedings a in 24 hours

This. Plus if your LO is sick and eating less, they NEED to stay hydrated, so even a short feeding session is better than nothing...
  • Thanks everyone. She doesn't sleep a lot during the day so she eats more frequently then. Also she regained her appetite pretty soon after I posted my question so haven't had to worry about waking her. If she was still eating small amounts and then falling asleep I definitely would have called her ped.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"